Review Round 23, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. West Coast

Who were your five best players?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Although this probably isn't the time for negativity, Grant Birchall was horrid tonight.

I just can't see how selecting him again for our Qualifying Final can be justified.

Coleman had a very good game and gives us some speed and dynamism around the ground. He did some very important things tonight.

Someone has to make way for Harris and on form, it should be Birchall

Axing Coleman just wouldn't be right from many perspectives in my view.
Very exciting game, and a great result.

I don't think some of the older players are held to the same standard of some of the younger developing players. I think the easier decision will be made to keep Birch and drop Kiddy.

Looks like we play the cats and our backline did really well that night a few months ago without Birchall and Lester. Payne was a late in and I think if Payne is fit he should come into contention or Madden depending on how many talls Geelong play.

We might be taking on Melbourne after all, that scares me, they have the ability to exploit our shaky defense.

Just had a look at the stats, Jarryd Lyons 14 tackles wow, he's a great tackler too, really has a vice like grip when he gets hold of you.

He did a power of work nullifying the receivers from Nicnat's taps, especially in the second half.

We got towelled out of the centre all game but at least our mids ran hard to get to contests in the back half.

I think there was a comment in the Game Day thread to the effect that the problem with Lyons, Zorko and Neale is that they don't know how to defend.

Well, that trio had 14,8 and 8 tackles respectively, the three leading tacklers from both sides

So there!

Marcus Adams had a good return after missing 5 games.
I think Adams playing was planned.
Fagan mentioned that Andrews has had a slight hammy issue for a few weeks now and just did not want to risk him before finals

Adams was the only player on the ground who played 100% game time
So that should blow out the cobwebs and give him confidence for next week

Max gawn!!! One if the nicest guys in footy - glad he got a fairytale after siren goal. Bad luck it didn't get the minor.

I swear every spectator at the ground must have had the sliding calculator that showed we needed 119 when the Eagles reached 87.

The atmosphere was insane.

Screaming, carrying on , chanting the slow LIOONSS!!! thing.

I've never heard such passion when we actually had the win in the bag

Absolutely excruciating the way the score went up a behind at a time......116...........117...........118 while all the time knowing that if the Eagles raced it up the other end for a goal it would be curtains for our top 4 spot.

Linc's point that got us to 119 was met with such an outburst of joy, it was almost like we won the Flag.

It really irks me when our supporters are sometimes accused of band -wagoning or not having the "passion" or knowledge of the supporters of the big Vic clubs.

We were fantastic all night and went absolutely ape sh*t when we got to the required mark.

Just like Fages :brisbane:
Was electric. Compounded I think by the fact that we had it in there for ages and no one knew how long there was left. At 39min I thought we’d missed our last opportunity about 8 times

I think most of us were like Fagan as had resigned ourselves to an elimination final. Great will by the boys to get there in the end. Great fight and the sign of a good team.

Might sound weird, but after so many years of mediocrity I sometimes forget that we are now again, a good team.

In the dark years, we would take a win, any win by any margin no matter how small and be grateful for it,

How strange it was tonight to be comfortably leading deep into the final quarter and feeling like we were in for a letdown.

We get great value from this team

Three top 4 finishes in a row makes us a power club.

How sweet it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought Coleman showed brilliant signs down back. He got exposed defensively a couple of times but his strong contributions outweighed that. He could well be that zippy backman that we need
I'm never convinced until someone puts a strong year together but what pleased me most about him tonight was his ability to reach up and spoil from behind body on body something I wasn't sure he had in him.

He also looks a natural attacking backman and is prepared to present for the overlap whenever he can . I wish we had've played him there all year .

Wow we are so lucky to get away with that. Eagles should be commended they gave it all they could with a seconds team on the field. Truth is the score should have been put to rest way before it did

but to squeeze those last few goals after the eagles kicked the first two of the last was fantastic and a credit to the whole team

what comes now is in our own hands ! If good enough we can win this dam thing !

There is a fair bit of sooking about the umpires from WC/Dogs/Brissy haters. It wasn't even that bad? LOL

The McStay one was there. Berry took a dive but that was just dumb. The downfield shove on Lachie was there.

What about the McCarthy non mark? Bailey's denied mark that went 18 metres? What about Ryan's absurd blocking free that waa gifted by the non officiating umpire earlier in the game?

3 goals right there handed to the Eagles/taken from us.

Cry me a river.

There is a fair bit of sooking about the umpires from WC/Dogs/Brissy haters. It wasn't even that bad? LOL

The McStay one was there. Berry took a dive but that was just dumb. The downfield shove on Lachie was there.

What about the McCarthy non mark? Bailey's denied mark that went 18 metres? What about Ryan's absurd blocking free that waa gifted by the non officiating umpire earlier in the game?

3 goals right there handed to the Eagles/taken from us.

Cry me a river.

I wouldn't pay it any mind.

I wouldn't pay it any mind.

I dont personally mind. It's getting a fair run on social media pages etc too. Just discussing a strong narrative to come out of the game. I just think the whole AFL thing, that when ever it's a close game the loser was robbed, is tiresome. Unless you are truely robbed like us in round 2 that is! haha

That Bailey non-mark was a utensil up, he would have split the middle too. Boy has liquid nitrogen in his veins.

Back