Round 23 fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

you could go up and stay a week - like we did in perth

And lost both games pretty badly, didn't you?

I doubt we'd be too keen to muck around with our travel routine for the final trip of the home and away season, with finals around the corner.

So last year's fixture was:
Friday: Haw v WB (12th v 10th)
Sat: Coll v Melb (13 v 9), BL v NM (18 v 15), Syd v Carl (6 v 16), Geel v GWS (2 v 4), Port v GC (5 v 17)
Sun: Ess v Freo (7 v 14), Rich v StK (3 v 11), WC v Adel (8 v 1)

So in terms of pattern finding, they have put a game of some consequence in each of the Sat day, Sat night and Sunday fixtures, and a less important but decently supported Melbourne game on the Friday night.

Round 22 fixture is:
Friday: Rich v Essendon
Saturday: Collingwood v Port, Geelong v Freo, GWS v Sydney, GC v BL, StK v Haw
Sunday: Carlton v WB, WC v Melbourne, Adelaide v NM

Which leaves Port v Essendon, Geelong v GC, Syd v Hawks or Freo v Collingwood as the potential Friday night fixture. Of those, Freo v Collingwood probably fits last year's bill the best.

Likely games of significance will be Port game, Sydney game, Melbourne game, so would split those three across the time slots.
Melbourne and Richmond games MCG so need to be split
Carlton and StK games Etihad so need to be split

Friday: Freo v Collingwood (big crowd, big national audience, should be good Perth crowd)
Sat day: Port v Essendon (big game, big crowd at AO), Richmond v WB (big Tigers crowd for finals tune-up)
Sat twilight: BL v WC
Sat night: Sydney v Hawthorn (big game), StK v NM
Sun day: Melbourne v GWS (big MCG crowd), Geel v GC
Sun twilight: Carlton v Adelaide (big travelling Adelaide contingent, may be important game for Crows too).

Alternatively, could opt for a double header Friday night with Geel v GC then Freo v Collingwood, and leave the Syd v Hawks game as stand-alone on Sat night.

Bumping this as I assume we're reasonably close to this being released (end July?)

Best guess is

Fri
7:50 Geelong v GCFC (Kardinia)
Sat
1:45 Sydney v Hawthorn (SCG)
2:10 Carlton v Adelaide (Etihad)
4:35 Brisbane v West Coast (Gabba)
7:25 Richmond v Bulldogs (MCG)
7:40 Fremantle v Collingwood (Optus)
Sun
1:10 St Kilda v North Melbourne (Etihad)
3:20 Melbourne v GWS GIANTS (MCG)
4:40 Port Adelaide v Essendon (AO)

Friday: Sydney vs Hawthorn

Saturday:
Geelong vs Gold Coast (1:45)
St Kilda vs North Melbourne (2:10)
Richmond vs Western Bulldogs (4:35)
Brisbane vs West Coast
Port Adelaide vs Essendon (FTA)

Sunday:
Carlton vs Adelaide (1:10)
Melbourne vs GWS (3:20)
Fremantle vs Collingwood (4:40)

Bumping this as I assume we're reasonably close to this being released (end July?)

Best guess is

Fri
7:50 Geelong v GCFC (Kardinia)
Sat
1:45 Sydney v Hawthorn (SCG)
2:10 Carlton v Adelaide (Etihad)
4:35 Brisbane v West Coast (Gabba)
7:25 Richmond v Bulldogs (MCG)
7:40 Fremantle v Collingwood (Optus)
Sun
1:10 St Kilda v North Melbourne (Etihad)
3:20 Melbourne v GWS GIANTS (MCG)
4:40 Port Adelaide v Essendon (AO)
Why would Geelong v Gold Coast be Friday night? It will either be Sydney v Hawthorn or Port v Essendon.

Why would Geelong v Gold Coast be Friday night? It will either be Sydney v Hawthorn or Port v Essendon.
Neither play on the Sunday prior, Geelong have only had one Friday night game so I figured why not.

Plus this is the same AFL that has Saints v Carlton this Friday so who even knows?

Fri Night
7.50 Sydney vs Hawthorn (FTA)

Saturday
1.45 Brisbane vs West Coast
2.10 Melbourne vs GWS
4.35 Geelong vs Gold Coast
7.25 St Kilda vs North Melbourne
7.40 Port Adelaide vs Essendon (FTA)

Sunday
1.10 Carlton vs Adelaide
3.20 Richmond vs Western Bulldogs (FTA)
4.40 Fremantle vs Collingwood

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney aren't what I'd call a ratings winner either - 48k last week v Geelong in Sydney is appalling.

How'd they rate nationally?

Hawks-Swans is probably the most attractive matchup of the round 23 games, certainly among the games that don't include sides that play the previous Sunday.

I assume the floating fixture remains because it means that the AFL can spread all the "good games" out across the three days with minimal double-up, thus also stopping Sunday from being "wooden spoon finals day".

Joining the chorus here. Absolutely no relevance to finals footy anymore with the week off. Just put it out with every other round.

Joining the chorus here. Absolutely no relevance to finals footy anymore with the week off. Just put it out with every other round.
Just relevence to spreading all the good games out so that you don't have to channel surf if both games on Saturday night have finals implications, then only have 18th vs 16th and 17th vs 14th to watch on Sunday.

The whole final month should be floating and announced at round 14.

Just relevence to spreading all the good games out so that you don't have to channel surf if both games on Saturday night have finals implications, then only have 18th vs 16th and 17th vs 14th to watch on Sunday.

The whole final month should be floating and announced at round 14.

That will never happen. Makes it a nightmare to book travel/time off for those who do that.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see something like this:

Round 23
Thursday night
Port Adelaide v Essendon - 7 nationally

Friday night
Sydney v Hawthorn - 7 nationally

Saturday
Carlton v Adelaide - 7 SA
Geelong v Gold Coast - 7 Qld

Saturday night
Melbourne v Greater Western Sydney - 7 NSW
Richmond v Western Bulldogs - 7 Vic

Sunday early
St Kilda v North Melbourne

Sunday twilight
Brisbane v West Coast - 7 WA, Qld

Monday night
Fremantle v Collingwood - 7 nationally

Ch.7:
Vic 4, SA 4, WA 4, Qld 5, NSW 4

I want the best game on Friday night.

That would have to be based on current form and injuries and place on the ladder

i.e. the highest combined position

Sydney-Hawthorn 5+8 = 13
Collingwood-Freo is 2+13=15
Richmond-Bulldogs 1+14= 15
Port-Essendon 4+12 =16
Melbourne-GWS 6+10 =16

Friday
Sydney v Hawthorn, SCG, 7.50, 7

Saturday
Carlton v Adelaide, ES, 1.45 (7 SA)
Geelong v Gold Coast, GMHBA, 2.30 (7 QLD)
Port Adelaide v Essendon, AO, 4.45 (7 SA)
Richmond v Western Bulldogs, MCG, 7.20, 7
Fremantle v Collingwood, OS, 7.20 (7 WA)

Sunday
St Kilda v North, ES, 1.10
Melbourne v GWS, MCG, 3.20 7
Brisbane v West Coast, Gabba, 4.40 (7 QLD, 7 WA)

Don't think the AFL would do a Monday night game, but if they do I reckon they'd make it the Port v Essendon game and move Geelong v GC to the Saturday twilight

I'd also love to see them make Richmond v WB an earlier (7pm) start, so it could be played as the first part of a double header with the Freo v Collingwood game being started at 8pm western. But that's unrealistic really

Remove this Banner Ad

Back