Preview Round 3 – GWS Giants vs Richmond, Saturday 6th April 2019, Sydney Showground Stadium, 4.35pm20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Well, that brought us back to earth with a thud, didn’t it?

The intent was obvious from the start, but I thought our inability to inflict scoreboard pressure early despite an avalanche of possession would prove costly, as it usually does. We couldn’t maintain the intensity or find a way to goal and the game was over by half time.

Now for Round 3, back at Giants Stadium again, to face the wounded Tigers.

In a way, Richmond, premiers in 2017, have come to resemble their Bulldog predecessors of 2016.

Remember all the hype about long premiership droughts being replaced by Hawthorn-like dynasties? Instead, the Bulldogs, stripped of mysterious free-kick advantages, promptly imploded, and Richmond’s tilt at seemingly inevitable back-to-back glory came to a crashing halt against a resurgent Collingwood in last year’s preliminary final.

There were a few Tigers suspected of carrying injuries into that preliminary final, and it hasn’t got any better for them. Like a well-oiled machine suddenly missing a vital component, Richmond are finding out how destabilising injuries to key players can be, something we’re only too familiar with. The season-ending injury to Alex Rance, one of those back men with a reputation most glamour midfielders or key forwards would die for, has reminded everyone how important some players are to team structure. It’s a brave new world for Richmond without him. The outcome against Collingwood on Thursday night was an omen.

There will be a few changes for us on Saturday. This week sees Shane Mumford back from retirement. We can only hope the sequel is as good at the original (although I think the last time that happened was The Empire Strikes Back, in 1980).

I’m not sure how I feel about Mumford’s comeback. If he fires, fantastic, but he’s not a long-term prospect. He’s not the future. And we’ve got more pressing concerns, such as what is really going on with Josh Kelly and Toby Greene.

On the bright side, Lachie Whitfield played an excellent game last night and should collect a few Brownlow votes for his constant run and penetration. A pity he lacked support. Jacob Hopper also had a good game in the midfield, but Coniglio was tagged all match and his output was way down. I wonder if he had other things on his mind? And I hope Phil Davis hasn't suffered a serious eye injury.

While it was a tough night at the office, I’m actually pretty confident about this week. We’ve been competitive against Richmond in recent times, even when they were at their peak. I’m expecting to see a real bounce back by the team and good turnout by the supporters on Saturday afternoon.

We will not lose this game.

Kelly, Mumford and probably Greene back in.
Riewoldt and Grimes out.
Can't help but feel this will be a flogging. I'll be there though.
You’ll miss Rance too. Is Houli out as well?
When we had people out across Backs, Mids, Forwards, it always causes disruption.
It’s much worse when you lose more than one in an area.

You’ll miss Rance too. Is Houli out as well?
When we had people out across Backs, Mids, Forwards, it always causes disruption.
It’s much worse when you lose more than one in an area.
Houli might be OK for this game, but given his age and the nature of the injury (hammy soreness) I would not be surprised if he was left out.
Giants have coped better than most sides with their injuries over the past few years.

Hopefully being back at home changes the fortunes for the team and with the outs for the Tigers I am feeling confident that the team will work hard on the track this week and put in an improved performance
Still hard to know the 22 for the team but this is how it could be with some questions, Does Greene come back in? Is Kelly ready? Is Taylor ok after sitting out the last quarter? Mumford or Simpson? I think big Dawson doesnt travel well and with the 6 day break that did not help IMO? Buntine or TOJ for the seventh defender? Big game for Deledio v his old team so hopefully it will be a good game for him

Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Taylor/Keefe Kennedy
Kelly Taranto Whitfield
MDB Cameron Reid
Daniels HH Lloyd
Simpson/Mumford Coniglio Hopper
Tomlinson Deledio TOJ Greene/Buntine/Bonar/Hately

This was one that I penciled in as a difficult game, but it feels like the injury gods have bounced our way.

With Rance and Riewoldt out, Davis goes to Lynch and Taylor can take whoever. If Greene comes back in we'll have three true goal kickers which would severely push Richmond's depth, and Kelly would provide a boost in the middle.

Please don't choke, guys.

Im fairly optimistic about this game. I think it cannot be understated the impact Green has on the forward line. He wins his own ball in a very dangerous place. With him back and Kelly adding to lachie's forward delivery, I just think we are too good for them with their outs.

We should have put West Coast away last week with that frst quarter. I can't see us making the same mistakes this week with our expected ins

I think we will be absolutely slaughtered. Even when we were playing well GWS was always a tough side for us to beat.

LOL I think exactly the same thing of the Tigers!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Taylor Kennedy
Whitfield Cogs Kelly
Deledio Cameron DeBoer
Daniels HH Lloyd
Mummy Hopper Taranto

Tomlinson Finlayson Reid Buntine

My team for the weekend
I think it could be Keefe or Taylor depending on fitness although Keefe probably doesnt have a match up in the tigers set up unless they select a second ruck which is unlikely
Not sure out of TOJ or Buntine gets the seventh defender spot
I am hoping if i type in Bonars name enough he will be selected but not sure who else could come in unless they select both TOJ and Buntine and TOJ plays as a tall winger/forward

Shaw Davis Haynes
Whitfield Taranto Kelly
MDB Cameron Reid
Daniels HH Lloyd
Mumford Coniglio Hopper
Tomlinson Deledio TOJ/Buntine Bonar

My team for the weekend
I think it could be Keefe or Taylor depending on fitness although Keefe probably doesnt have a match up in the tigers set up unless they select a second ruck which is unlikely
Not sure out of TOJ or Buntine gets the seventh defender spot
I am hoping if i type in Bonars name enough he will be selected but not sure who else could come in unless they select both TOJ and Buntine and TOJ plays as a tall winger/forward

Shaw Davis Haynes
Whitfield Taranto Kelly
MDB Cameron Reid
Daniels HH Lloyd
Mumford Coniglio Hopper
Tomlinson Deledio TOJ/Buntine Bonar
I like that 22

I advocate Taylor and bunts in the 50/50 selection

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hately debut on the weekend, or Bonar come in - although being left out of the emergency list the last 2 games indicates he's below Hately on the pecking order. Nevertheless, I'd see Bonar as a good option for a 'third tall'if we relegate Keeffe. I can understand not taking a debutant into a WA game environment, but at home provides a good opportunity to blood youngsters, and if Tigers are a touch weakened with their own injury issues ... Won't be mass changes though, and if Kelly and Mumford come in there's only 1 or 2 more likely. Perhaps we'll rightsize the number of backs this week.

I'd think Taylor plays providing he's fit - just such a learning opportunity for him (and even getting beaten as on the weekend will aid his overall development). I'd prefer to send Keeffe back to NEAFL - we can rotate Tommo and Finlayson up forward if needing another tall (or Haynes!): all are more mobile than Keeffe.

Backs: Davis Taylor Haynes Finlayson Shaw Williams Kennedy

Mids: Mumford Coniglio Kelly Hopper Taranto Whitfield Tomlinson Hately

Forwards: Cameron HH Daniels Lloyd MdB Deledio Reid

The scoreline won't be a 90 point win, though, that's for sure!

I think the biggest change needs to be not with team selection but with team tactics. The long bomb was frustrating to watch but if you look closely a lot of those entries were still 40-50 yards out from goal. If we are going long to a contest...it really needs to be LONG to the contest and being kicked to the hot spot 20 M out from goal.

Obviously we would prefer to see players leading up to the ball and being hit on the lead, but thats not always possible when pressure is applied. What was frustrating was the persistence with the long ball into such a crappy area of the ground.

Im hoping this week to see a mixture of the two- long balls in are actually that, and shorter lead up passes when the option SHOULD be available.

This was one that I penciled in as a difficult game, but it feels like the injury gods have bounced our way.

With Rance and Riewoldt out, Davis goes to Lynch and Taylor can take whoever. If Greene comes back in we'll have three true goal kickers which would severely push Richmond's depth, and Kelly would provide a boost in the middle.

Please don't choke, guys.
Grimes too.

I think the biggest change needs to be not with team selection but with team tactics. The long bomb was frustrating to watch but if you look closely a lot of those entries were still 40-50 yards out from goal. If we are going long to a contest...it really needs to be LONG to the contest and being kicked to the hot spot 20 M out from goal.

Obviously we would prefer to see players leading up to the ball and being hit on the lead, but thats not always possible when pressure is applied. What was frustrating was the persistence with the long ball into such a crappy area of the ground.

Im hoping this week to see a mixture of the two- long balls in are actually that, and shorter lead up passes when the option SHOULD be available.
Yep. The long bomb to one of the best intercepting markers going around.
I heard Leon say they were told to keep it a ground game but I guess in the heat of the game, it’s forgotten.

Yep. The long bomb to one of the best intercepting markers going around.
I heard Leon say they were told to keep it a ground game but I guess in the heat of the game, it’s forgotten.
Yeah of course. Players aren’t dumb- they can plainly see it wasn’t working. Problem is obviously the pressure that comes from the oppoq

Yeah of course. Players aren’t dumb- they can plainly see it wasn’t working. Problem is obviously the pressure that comes from the oppoq
I also wonder if the Tigers backline will be less organised without Grimes and Rance, so the long bomb may work for this game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back