Review Round 5, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst I don't agree with what happened, it happens all the time. I know a player that tagged his oppo quite hard all game and when he went to shake his hand at the end of the game he was told to F... off as well. That one didn't make the Fox news, AFL 360, SEN radio and every other outlet covering AFL. Was made into a big deal because its Zorks and his profile in the game. So the question is, is it unsportsmanlike period or only if it is caught on camera? I really think it would have been a better look for Zorks to acknowledge he was simply well beaten on the day and to shake hands and to move on. This definitely didn't deserve the coverage it got IMO.

Yep no need to fuel the tank....oldest trick in the book...showcase a fault of opposition player that was originally recruited by them....giving the impression of viewers a possible reason why they off loaded him...Watch the niggle next time.

If that's what was going on, then I don't blame him!

.....and I hope the club tells the world what was happening, because he's being crucified in the media for his lack of sportsmanship..

If that's what was going on, then I don't blame him!

.....and I hope the club tells the world what was happening, because he's being crucified in the media for his lack of sportsmanship..
I'm not suggesting that's what was happening, Miller has admitted to hitting him the whole game.

The "in the balls" is purely for my own entertainment and to ensure that stupidity doesn't make it to the next generation.

Amended my votes after watching the replay.

I am now the only person here who thought Allison was top 5. Thought he was decent on the night. Watching him on the replay, he had a few really good defensive efforts, and used the ball quite well. Quite possibly his best game for the club.

You really do start to question your own sanity though when you're the only vote for a person...

I'm not suggesting that's what was happening, Miller has admitted to hitting him the whole game.

The "in the balls" is purely for my own entertainment and to ensure that stupidity doesn't make it to the next generation.

Ok....thought you saying that's what happened.

Amended my votes after watching the replay.

I am now the only person here who thought Allison was top 5. Thought he was decent on the night. Watching him on the replay, he had a few really good defensive efforts, and used the ball quite well. Quite possibly his best game for the club.

You really do start to question your own sanity though when you're the only vote for a person...
I thought it was his best game too but not top 5. I say we pump at least 10 more games into him this season. He has a lot of good attributes: height, speed, good long kick, takes game on, Lions through and through .... I am hoping his improvement is exponential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like it's a mountain out of a molehill. I don't really care what Zorko said if it's just refusing to shake hands and "**** off". It's nice to think the guys all swallow the s**t that gets dished up on the field and doesn't let it affect them after the game but I'm being realistic when I say I don't consider myself above doing something like that if someone's been illegally (given the fine on Miller) beating me up all game. I don't want to hold someone to a standard I don't think I can hold myself to.

What did Miller actually do to Zorko to incur the fine - has there been any vision released of the incident? I was at the game and not for the first time in a QClash, the Suns were "into" Zorko from the first bounce. There is a clear game plan that has developed over time to get under Zorko's skin and it is working a treat for them. Not sure why we haven't developed a counter plan because it has become pretty predictable...

What did Miller actually do to Zorko to incur the fine - has there been any vision released of the incident? I was at the game and not for the first time in a QClash, the Suns were "into" Zorko from the first bounce. There is a clear game plan that has developed over time to get under Zorko's skin and it is working a treat for them. Not sure why we haven't developed a counter plan because it has become pretty predictable...
Maybe Zorks should of shadowed Miller as he got plenty of the ball.
Its not gonna be a switch that Zorko would flick on his own , but maybe from the coaches box.
Rough him up for a while , might of worked. Tackle the stuffing out of him.
The other alternative is to use one of our other players to help out , but to me it would be better if the tagged player could work through it without
complicating other roles.
Edit. Its all too late now anyway , these things have got to be fixed as the game is going on.
Unless every team tags Zorko of course , are GWS going to, that would actually surprise me if that happened

What did Miller actually do to Zorko to incur the fine - has there been any vision released of the incident? I was at the game and not for the first time in a QClash, the Suns were "into" Zorko from the first bounce.

Nope, the closest is a semi-explanation:

TOUK MILLER
MISCONDUCT (Dayne Zorko): Offered a $1500 fine

The Suns midfielder tagged Zorko for much of the QClash.

Perhaps this goes some way to explaining why Zorko was so angry after the match and refused to shake Miller’s hand after the siren.

https://outline.com/8gvGYR

I wasn't going to speculate but it wouldn't surprise me if winged1's joke had an element of truth to it - usually it has to be something a bit out there to get a fine for "misconduct" without an obvious example - think Crowley pinching or Baker hitting Johnson's injured hand or Sicily standing on people.

There is a clear game plan that has developed over time to get under Zorko's skin and it is working a treat for them. Not sure why we haven't developed a counter plan because it has become pretty predictable...
How can you counter plan?

Players have been tagged just about forever. If there was a magic counter plan, it would have been deployed and tagging would have disappeared. You can send a player forward but you're effectively preventing the player from having a larger impact, so the tagging has been effective automatically.

Some players have a style of play that limits the effectiveness of taggers, but unless we intend to develop Zorko into a in and under player at this late stage I don't think that flies either, and doubly so in the middle of a game. Some players effectively outrun their taggers but again, that's only available to those players with a dominant engine. Blocking and congesting the tagger can work in some limited scenarios, e.g. ruck contests, but also only if the supporting players aren't younger and smaller than the tagger (Miller being older and more experienced than almost all of our midfield on the weekend).

Unless every team tags Zorko of course , are GWS going to, that would actually surprise me if that happened

GWS occasionally uses Coniglio as a defensive minded matchup who wins the ball going the other way, but I don't think they'd bother unless we get a run on.

Hoping Harris getting Lions player of round will give him the confidence to go to next level good.
Harris's confidence levels are just fine regardless of him being awarded player of the round or not. (although I agree he deserves it as he was our best by a long way) Despite some of our fickle & short sighted supporters who often say rubbish on social media when a player doesn't live up to their expectations, Harris is tracking nicely thus far this season. More importantly Harris doesn't take social media criticism seriously and really only listens to the people that matter when it comes to his footy. Very good young man Harris Andrews. Our next club captain IMO.

I wasn't going to speculate but it wouldn't surprise me if winged1's joke had an element of truth to it - usually it has to be something a bit out there to get a fine for "misconduct" without an obvious example - think Crowley pinching or Baker hitting Johnson's injured hand or Sicily standing on people.

Players have been tagged just about forever. If there was a magic counter plan, it would have been deployed and tagging would have disappeared. You can send a player forward but you're effectively preventing the player from having a larger impact, so the tagging has been effective automatically.

Some players have a style of play that limits the effectiveness of taggers, but unless we intend to develop Zorko into a in and under player at this late stage I don't think that flies either, and doubly so in the middle of a game. Some players effectively outrun their taggers but again, that's only available to those players with a dominant engine. Blocking and congesting the tagger can work in some limited scenarios, e.g. ruck contests, but also only if the supporting players aren't younger and smaller than the tagger (Miller being older and more experienced than almost all of our midfield on the weekend).
Isolating him forward seemed to work well. He had the push in the back mark + goal over Miller and also that snazzy move that set up a goal for someone else*

Edit: *Actually come to think of it I think Berry ended up missing the set shot as a result of this play

Wasn't there a crackdown from years ago where players weren't allowed to continually hit and bump their opponents off the ball? I remember it happened to Jonathan Brown for an entire game and if my memory is right, the umpires were all over it for a while.

Tagging part of the game and providing they play within the rules all good IMO. Problem is that tagging isn't scrutinised often and repeat infringements are ignored in many games every week. Zorks should have been given several free's early on. Suffice to say that If they were awarded to him early, Miller would have been forced to tone his scragging significantly. Understand Zork's being pissed off 100%.

Roos just claiming that the Hodge free kick was the wrong decision and cost us the game.
That or the free and 50 to May against Berry for being punched in the throat. I still don't understand how that became a free against, let alone a 50 penalty on top of it.

Back