Preview Round 5, 2024: Suns v Hawks, 7:30pm Sat 13th April, People First Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how a storming second half amazingly makes everyone forget what utter rubbish
was dished up in the first half.
We'd be 4 goals down against Werribee at half time the way we played.
3 goals in a half is a joke. If we don't make several changes we'll be pumped by 6- 10 goals by GC.
Serong,HH & Morrison all need full games this week.
I keep seeing Nash's picture on milk cartons all week, so give him a nudge and make him the sub.

1st quarter was even and it was only a late goal by them that made the margin 3 goals. Wasted a few chances.
Lost concentration in the second quarter as the pressure piled on.
Won the arm wrestle in the third quarter and dominated in the last quarter.
Keep in mind the Pies had the highest pressure rating that game of any team this season and an extra four days of rest. Despite the four years and ~60 odd games on average experience difference, our young guys stood up well.

Yes there are key areas for improvement but it wasn't the type of performance that demands several changes. I'd argue it was the opposite.

I love how a storming second half amazingly makes everyone forget what utter rubbish
was dished up in the first half.
We'd be 4 goals down against Werribee at half time the way we played.
3 goals in a half is a joke. If we don't make several changes we'll be pumped by 6- 10 goals by GC.
Serong,HH & Morrison all need full games this week.
I keep seeing Nash's picture on milk cartons all week, so give him a nudge and make him the sub.
I am not sure any of the individual quarters of a game are relevant. No one cares. Had we won the game it wouldn't have mattered.
So similarly even though we lost it was a great fightback. Game is played over 120 minutes so are premierships
No one cared that Collingwood was up by 44 points at half time in the granny. Only that Carlton won the bloody thing in the end.

Last edited:
Didn't we play Freo on a Saturday night last year?
Technically yes, but 2 hour delay means it wasn't a prime time broadcast for all the Hawk supporters watching on TV on the east coast.

One thing that was noticeable in the last game is Nash isn’t quick on the early steps at centre bounces, his not slow but his 200cm frame still takes a bit to move. When his on the move and tackling though very damaging.

*that’s not to say his still not improving but just to be mindful at centre bounces where it’s a bit more stagnant, Worpel may be able to guide the way here as he went through the same challenges

It's magically never a factor elsewhere (unless we played in Cairns or Darwin, where the heat and humidity was a factor and our ball handling was abysmal that time) because the humidity isn't remotely similar in other places we play. Even peak humidity in Melbourne isn't as annoying as it is in Brisbane and the Gold Coast. I have attended plenty of games at the Gabba in winter where the ball is still like a bar of soap because of the humidity. And yes - some places in SEQ get somewhat cold in winter but Brisbane and the GC don't get to 0 degrees.

Being that the forecast come game time on Saturday night is 20 degrees with 85% humidity - it will absolutely be a factor. Hopefully we are doing some drills this week to combat it.
Great news for Flamin Joe
Expected temp at game time is now 21 but the best part, humidity has dropped to a low 77% 😉

Fantasy related question

Hardwicks position will be as down back again? Or will he stay forward

Fantasy related question

Hardwicks position will be as down back again? Or will he stay forward

Nobody really has a clue. Maybe wait till the teams come out. If Serong is in for Finn Maginness balance suggests it will probably be to free up Hardwick to play forward. Otherwise more likely to stay in defence

Am a bit over the media’s take on our good showing last week against the reigning premiership team - “Collingwood can’t win the flag” - how pathetic.

Looking forward to 4 quarters of effort from the team that clicked last week.

Am enjoying the new and improved 2024 Worpel, Amon, and Frost.

GO HAWKS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cannot see many changes if any, but for me Maginness comes out as that tagger who also played a little wing and back. Jai Serong in as a key defender but a dynamic one, to combat the height of Gold Coast. This also allows Hardwick forward.

In: Serong
Out: Maginness

B: Scrimshaw, Frost, Impey
HB: Mitchell, Serong, Sicily
C: Massimo, Ward, Amon
HF: Moore, Ramsden, MacDonald
F: Hardwick, Chol, Ginnivan
FOL: Meek, Worpel, Newcombe
INT: Butler, Nash, MacKenzie, Weddle
Sub: Morrison

Our first night game since June 2022.

Our latest start time since July 2021.

A little step back towards prime time footy.
Wowww. Are you seriously saying we did not play a single night match last year? (genuine question as I have a terrible memory).

If true that is absolutely disgusting. I’m assuming we were the only team to not play in one. Maybe 1 or 2 other teams max.

My hatred of the AFL grows day by day.

Wowww. Are you seriously saying we did not play a single night match last year? (genuine question as I have a terrible memory).

If true that is absolutely disgusting. I’m assuming we were the only team to not play in one. Maybe 1 or 2 other teams max.

and how do the Scum not win a final in 20 years, have a poor 2023 and now have 3 Friday night games in a row???

It's been pointed out that the first Freo game we played over in WA was actually at 7:30pm, but that was their time. I was coming at it from a prime time angle which for the majority of Hawks fans who are on the east coast meant they were watching it from 5:30pm.

If we consider just the prime time night games Hawthorn have hosted then the last one was round 16, 2019 v Collingwood.

Sorry for the intrusion.. how do you rate yourselves in this game this week?
close the door, put out the light
the Hawks can't win Saturday night
the dew point falls and don't you know?
the sweaty ball won't go through the goals
they're wearing jumpers, wee and poo
not even one win, let alone two
these are developmental throes
just play four quarters
four quarters, oh

laddered side by side with North
Bigfooty mocks their very worth
but Meek drives back the Witts that's slow