AFL Autopsy Round 5: 49 Point loss to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to hear that you have played. Wednesdays game was like a final. Have you ever played in a final?

What did we do wrong apart from not being hard at the ball as you say? I actually though that we were hard
at the ball. We have a lot of young players including our best players. If you are playing against a side with a
lot of highly skilled young players like Essendon has how would you approach the game? Get in their heads. Harass
them. Play on the edge without getting reported... be unsociable! Whack them at every opportunity. Exactly what Collingwood
did.

I also follow basketball. Did you see what Miami tried to do the same to 76ers? Similar mindset. But Ben Simmons (Bomber
supporter) stood up, copped it and gave it back. We do not give it back, just got bullied and put up with it. Merrett is an absolute star
and needs some help physically. He got knocked out against Adelaide and lay motionless for 15-30 seconds and not a single player
came to his aid. Backhanded by McIntosh and concussed and not a single player remonstrated.

What did Sydney Swans do last year that tore us apart in the Elimination Final? They bullied us, bashed us up. Which Essendon players
stood up?

Where has Essendon improved to overcome this?
But beating up players is not always the way to go. The best player in the league in Martin is very calm. Sounds like you want an agro player like Sicily instead.
I don't recall Richmond or Bulldogs being aggressive in that regard at all.

Toughness when it comes to manic pressure and ferocious tackling I can understand, but toughness when it comes to roughing up players... Nah.

What we're lacking is the toughness in sticking tackles, holding our feet in contests, finding targets under pressure and being mentally tough no matter the situation.

Without Razzle we do not dazzle. Next time AFL.com do one of those "your clubs barometer" type articles he should be the Essendon player they mention. Brings guys like Walla and Irish into the game, has some swagger, fans get excited when he is near the pill.

PS- we are terrible at the G, ANZAC Day games, and on road trips.

Mate I've been at the very coal face of our game. The AFL 9's team which I was the captain/coach of went 2 seasons undefeated and we never once had to resort to your thuggish sounding tactics.
Isn’t 9’s non-contact? :think:
Nevermind - that must be 7’s (a lot of fun btw) (and always there’s a little bit of contact anyway)

You seem to have this weird idea that puffing your chest out and players telling an opponent to **** off a couple of times and laying a couple hip and shoulders is some mysterious progenitor from which everything else flows.

Like some magic alchemic effect almost.

It doesn't actually work like that. We could be more aggressive at times, yes, but our issues go way, way beyond a few dudes not laying little hip and shoulders and snarling.

Well it seemed to have the desired effect. :mad:

Isn’t 9’s non-contact? :think:
Nevermind - that must be 7’s (a lot of fun btw) (and always there’s a little bit of contact anyway)
Are you suggesting I'm extracting the urine?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't watch the game but by the sound of it's almost like deja vu from the Bulldogs club. Are we really that mediocre/pathetic that we can't turn up to play two games in a row?

Watch us trounce Melbourne and then get belted by the Hawks the week after.

Never have I've seen a team so inconsistant like Essendon weather it's coaching or the players I don't know but something is very wrong at club and changes need to happen asap otherwise we can kiss this season goodbye.

Last edited:
Watch us trounce Melbourne and then get belted by the Hawks the week after.

Never have I've seen a team so inconsistant like Essendon weather it's coaching or the players I don't know but something is very wrong at club and changes need to happen asap otherwise we can kiss this season goodbye.
Oi. I thought you said you were done?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back