Round 5 Tips and Crowd Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

So most Brisbane fans are just band wagoners?

You really should go do some research on Weagles attendances around 2008-2010 before you start an argument that has very little logic attached to it.

You really should go do some research on Weagles attendances around 2008-2010 before you start an argument that has very little logic attached to it.

When we were getting 35,000 a game in a 43,000 seat stadium? Yes? Even your fellow supporters agreed with the comment. So what logic you following?

Brisbane vs. Collingwood 6pts 37000
North Melbourne vs. Essendon 20pts 42000
West Coast Eagles vs. Port Adelaide 3pts 52000 (Correct!)
GWS Giants vs Fremantle 21pts 11000 (almost picked Fremantle)
Melbourne vs. St Kilda 18pts 48000
Richmond vs. Sydney 24pts 37000
Western Bulldogs vs. Carlton 12pts 27000
Adelaide vs. Gold Coast Suns 38pts 44000
Hawthorn vs. Geelong Cats 12pts 65000

Last edited:
When we were getting 35,000 a game in a 43,000 seat stadium? Yes? Even your fellow supporters agreed with the comment. So what logic you following?

Are you seriously that stupid, that you'd like to argue this point? Since you probably aren't familiar with BRAB, I'd caution you against using his response as a pillar of your argument. I am fully aware of why he posted as he did - I'm inclined to think I should have followed suit, but that time is past.

First off - yes, we have bandwagon support. And it's likely higher for the Lions than it is in the traditional footy states. But, whilst that point is related, we needn't focus on it right now. Which is something you should be grateful for, since it would (a) help my argument and (b) be a long read with lots of words for you to digest.

In 2008-2011, the Eagles were averaging around 35k per season, in a 43k seat stadium, with a membership in excess of 50k (54k in 2011). Membership exceeded 60k in 2015.

In 2018, average attendances were about 53k.

Now then, the kicker - if you weren't selling out a 43k seat stadium earlier, and suddenly, at the same time as being up near the top of the ladder, you are getting an extra 18k people to the game, how do you explain the difference? And remember, you can't use "more seats" as an argument, because your average attendances prior to having those extra seats doesn't support that argument - it would if you had been selling out that 43k stadium every week.

As far as the Lions go as a per capita representation of the total populace, our "bandwagoners" are probably a higher figure as I said at the start. These folk don't typically purchase memberships, they just attend games - and doing that when your preferred team is doing better is hardly unreasonable, for a variety of reasons. But to claim that "most" of our support is band wagon, is a fallacy. Most of our support is a core group, the vast bulk of which are paid members, as befits our standing within the footballing landscape.

So, here's one conclusion you can draw:

That, like every single club in the land including the Eagles, the Lions have bandwagon support. Your initial statement "So most Brisbane fans are just bandwagoners" doesn't hold up to even the most cursory examination, never mind a deep forensic analysis. The Eagles, despite what you might like to think, are no different to any other club in that regard.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but reality is a bitch like that sometimes.

Collingwood 34 Points - Sellout
Bombers- 23 Points 42K
West Coast- 27Points 49K
GWS - 61 points 16K
Melbourne - 23points 32K
Richmond - 22 Points 35K
Bulldogs - 17 Points 30K
Adelaide - 23 Points- 37K
Geelong - 10 Points 68K

Are you seriously that stupid, that you'd like to argue this point? Since you probably aren't familiar with BRAB, I'd caution you against using his response as a pillar of your argument. I am fully aware of why he posted as he did - I'm inclined to think I should have followed suit, but that time is past.

First off - yes, we have bandwagon support. And it's likely higher for the Lions than it is in the traditional footy states. But, whilst that point is related, we needn't focus on it right now. Which is something you should be grateful for, since it would (a) help my argument and (b) be a long read with lots of words for you to digest.

In 2008-2011, the Eagles were averaging around 35k per season, in a 43k seat stadium, with a membership in excess of 50k (54k in 2011). Membership exceeded 60k in 2015.

In 2018, average attendances were about 53k.

Now then, the kicker - if you weren't selling out a 43k seat stadium earlier, and suddenly, at the same time as being up near the top of the ladder, you are getting an extra 18k people to the game, how do you explain the difference? And remember, you can't use "more seats" as an argument, because your average attendances prior to having those extra seats doesn't support that argument - it would if you had been selling out that 43k stadium every week.

As far as the Lions go as a per capita representation of the total populace, our "bandwagoners" are probably a higher figure as I said at the start. These folk don't typically purchase memberships, they just attend games - and doing that when your preferred team is doing better is hardly unreasonable, for a variety of reasons. But to claim that "most" of our support is band wagon, is a fallacy. Most of our support is a core group, the vast bulk of which are paid members, as befits our standing within the footballing landscape.

So, here's one conclusion you can draw:

That, like every single club in the land including the Eagles, the Lions have bandwagon support. Your initial statement "So most Brisbane fans are just bandwagoners" doesn't hold up to even the most cursory examination, never mind a deep forensic analysis. The Eagles, despite what you might like to think, are no different to any other club in that regard.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but reality is a bitch like that sometimes.

We averaged 53k because we got a new stadium and now can have a lot more members. It's not rocket science.

Are you really that insecure you need to launch into a tirade?

Calm down mate.

Collingwood 34 Points - Sellout
Bombers- 23 Points 42K
West Coast- 27Points 49K
GWS - 61 points 16K
Melbourne - 23points 32K
Richmond - 22 Points 35K
Bulldogs - 17 Points 30K
Adelaide - 23 Points- 37K
Geelong - 10 Points 68K
16k in Manuka would be interesting. 13.5k is capacity. With a nice day forecast it'll probably fill up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know from experience as someone who was living away from Perth but visiting randomly, that last minute tickets at Subiaco were hard to get. And if you got one, Subi was a miserable experience. The seats were terrible, anyone taller than about 175cm had their knees jammed against the seat in front and you had to accept that you were going to get intimate with the person next to you whether you wanted to or not.

The toilets and concessions were hopeless and insufficient and if it rained 3/4 of the crowd were going to get wet. If you were on the southern wing and it was sunny, it was almost impossible to watch the action with the sun in your eyes.
Transport was excellent, but everything inside the gates was terrible. Unlike the 'Gabba, that's for sure. Only been for cricket but it was a world different to Subi.

Haven't been to Optus but all reports are that it is a great place to watch football. Just based on the stadium and the knowledge that their are extra seats would easily explain the average crowds. You have a stadium with 17K extra seats and your crowd average goes up by 18K. Works for me.
The averages will always be less than for a full stadium as certain clubs draw less than others and certain timeslots also. There's not a club in the competition that fills every home game.

The clubs that came closest to filling their stadium (not finals and not including away derbies) were Geelong (9 games av 28519), Adelaide (11 games av 45417) and WC (11 games av 53250). Re-markedly similar % of total capacity, allowing that Geelong were hurt by playing the big home games that would be sell outs at the MCG.

Pies by 35pts (21k)
Roos by 17pts (44k)
Eagles by 44pts (52k)
Giants by 23pts (14k)
Demons by 9pts (37k)
Swans by 32pts (42k)
Blues by 19pts (30k)
Crows by 51pts (40k)
Hawks by 25pts (60k)

Brisbane vs. Collingwood 45pts 22K

Kangaroos vs. Essendon 70pts 24K

West Coast vs. Port Adelaide 103pts 21K

Giants vs Fremantle 201pts 10K

Melbourne vs. St Kilda draw 15K

Richmond vs. Sydney 22pts 20K

Western Bulldogs vs. Carlton 40pts 12K

Adelaide vs. Gold Coast 55pts 25K

Hawthorn vs. Geelong 136pts 98K
Ots quite possible you c an have no winners this week. Funny thing is you aren't tanking it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back