Prediction Round 6, 2024: Changes vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are allowing your firm assumption that Dom Sheed was lazy and gave up trying to do anything difficult cloud your judgement here - but your axe is clearly ground and ready to go, so by all means, swing like mad if he doesn’t come to the party on Saturday.

Yeah fair call. Hopefully I am wrong and he reads the room and realises it's now a season of chasing and tackling (and also not holding up play with ball in the name of keeping 'the style' non-contested)

It's not an assumption. The amount of times he allowed the opposition to run right past him, or refused to chase/pressure was something I've rarely seen in the AFL.

Though I was encouraged to read the praise by the coach of his defensive efforts last weekend. Hopefully now that there's some competition for spots he will focus more on his 1%ers, as he's easily best 22.
Having watched the game, the comments by Horsley were grossly overstated. Would of have preferred that he had another week in the 2's, show some signs he's busting to get back in the team. Hopefully he proves many of us here wrong.

Sent from my Nokia X30 5G using Tapatalk

My main issue with Sheed as the sub is Simmo noted in his weekly segment on 6pr that he's probably not ready for a full game. What happens if we have an injury in the first 10 min? Not like we never get in match injuries in a derby! Would rather Trew have been given the chance. If Dom or any player isn't fit enough for a full game shouldn't be the sub.
One we know is AFL standard when playing well, the other we (I) know isn't

It's not an assumption. The amount of times he allowed the opposition to run right past him, or refused to chase/pressure was something I've rarely seen in the AFL.

Though I was encouraged to read the praise by the coach of his defensive efforts last weekend. Hopefully now that there's some competition for spots he will focus more on his 1%ers, as he's easily best 22.

Sheed has done that in many games over the past few seasons. It coincided to with everyone dropping off. And over that time he now admits to trying to play with a foot issue that eventually needed an extended rehab.

Now I also remember games when fit where Sheed does run both ways and yes, even lays tackles, multiple tackles. He has shown he can do it. Just not consistantly. That has to change and now. The kids are showing the way and if the old blokes dont meet the new higher standards then they get left behind.

Thats the standards hopefully a fit list and competition for spots generates. And we continue drafting players with speed and a contested edge to their game

It's official, Sheed is the new whipping boy! (before he's even played a game?)

Am liking Marics's new buzz cut btw....

Gaff’s out of the team and Waterman’s top 10 in the Coleman. There was a vacuum.

Sheed may not be the best defensively, but he adds a lot to the side offensively by being able to accumulate possessions and hit the score board. He is also another big body around the kids to assist with the heavy lifting.
If Sheed comes in and his lack of defence is a net negative on the team then he can go back to the wafl to work on his defence like he did for the middle of the 18 season.

Sheed may not be the best defensively, but he adds a lot to the side offensively by being able to accumulate possessions and hit the score board. He is also another big body around the kids to assist with the heavy lifting.
If Sheed comes in and his lack of defence is a net negative on the team then he can go back to the wafl to work on his defence like he did for the middle of the 18 season.
Can kick goals, would prefer him hanging around the half forward line than the wing.

Sent from my Nokia X30 5G using Tapatalk

Its not like Sheed is holding out some kid who is clearly best 22 or is banging the door down to get back in the side, its only teenagers who arguably are not ready for AFL and Trew who is lucky to even be on the list and doesnt play an outside role anyway.

Not sure why anybody is so upset about it lol, its not like we dropped Ginbey just to fit Sheed in, give him a couple of weeks, see how he goes, if hes another Gaff then by all means drop him.

It’s disappointing that Trew isn’t in this week. The club has been so patient with him and he’s shown a bit from time to time, and now that he’s in form and ready to go he should be in.

Trew is a bit of a free hit through the rookie draft and it would be amazing if he would work out as a role player without being a Priddis level success. It’s a bit hard for him to do that in the WAFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s disappointing that Trew isn’t in this week. The club has been so patient with him and he’s shown a bit from time to time, and now that he’s in form and ready to go he should be in.

Trew is a bit of a free hit through the rookie draft and it would be amazing if he would work out as a role player without being a Priddis level success. It’s a bit hard for him to do that in the WAFL

Trew plays inside. Edwards plays a wing role that (we are all hoping) Sheed will directly replace, despite his comments about playing more inside at WAFL to hopefully replicate that position at the top level.

Bringing in Trew and hanging him out on a wing is a bit unfair. He won't thrive and will end up being dropped. I'd prefer to bring in a like-for-like match up. Dom has the versatility to play outside or on a flank. I just hope we don't see him inside the centre bounce early on.

So Sheed isn't sub like many were suggesting it seems.
MAric to sub again. I think Sheed has a lot to offer, can find the ball, can use the ball and is experienced.
But like many, I am still triggered by some games last year where he was less than a meter from an opp player who had just picked up the ball in a centre clearance and slammed the brakes on rather than chase.
I hope I never see that again or if I do, I hope like hell Harley just runs right through the campaigner.

Trew plays inside. Edwards plays a wing role that (we are all hoping) Sheed will directly replace, despite his comments about playing more inside at WAFL to hopefully replicate that position at the top level.

Bringing in Trew and hanging him out on a wing is a bit unfair. He won't thrive and will end up being dropped. I'd prefer to bring in a like-for-like match up. Dom has the versatility to play outside or on a flank. I just hope we don't see him inside the centre bounce early on.
I get that Dan, it’s not a reflection of the Sheed selection although I acknowledge it would be difficult to squeeze Trew in based on the clearance work of the midfield currently

Highly doubt Sheed is coming in to play wing. Has he ever played wing at AFL level? Pretty sure even when he replaced Gaff he went inside and Redden went on to a wing.

Sheed will play mid. It’s the only role he knows how to play.

Ginbey will likely play a mix of mid/wing and Reid will likely play mid with some time deep forward.

The article includes a direct quote from simmo saying he’s sub.

Source is Simmo’s interview with 6PR

From the article quoting Simpson

“While he’s probably not at 100 per cent full game mode he’s in a good space, he’s in a good space, he’s trained well, his performance on the weekend was good at WAFL level and he’s ready to go as the sub,” Simpson told 6PR.

Pretty unambiguous

Also in that interview Simpson said Maric is effectively replacing Edwards who was an extra midfielder in the Richmond game

I don’t think Simpson could have made it any clearer that Sheed will be the sub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back