Round 6 and 7: New Fixtures

Remove this Banner Ad

Excited to be able to see a few non-Sydney fixtures live. Hopefully they let crowds in? Looking forward to Geelong v Brisbane next Thursday night at the SCG

Definitely no asterisk for me, whoever wins the flag will have overcome a lot of once in a lifetime unforeseen obstacles, will be a fantastic achievement to win it IMO.

Not really - someone HAS to win it so they could have all been complete dogshit at trying to overcome the obstacles but their will still be a premier crowned.

Sounds like they've changed it to just QLD teams can't play VIC teams potentially? As Freo will be flying home straight after the Saints game.

If I was a Queenslander I’d be super confused by this change of policy. It feels like it’s a political power play rather than health considerations.

But then how does St Kilda play Freo at Metricon next Saturday?

St Kilda played last night (when Rich/WCE) was supposed to have played, so at most will have spent 8-9 days in QLD before playing Freo.

It sounds like the Queensland government has changed their rules again to suit the AFL, rather than look at the pandemic situation in Victoria.

What's wrong with that? All season people have been saying AFL teams should get special treatment because they have different quarantine arrangements and hubs, and now that the adjustment is made they should be treated like everyone else?

Personally I am happy with what's happening with Round 6 and 7 - and beyond. If each State government ticks off on it, what's the issue? I assume regular testing is still taking place, and that hub and quarantine arrangements will be strictly enforced.

Not really - someone HAS to win it so they could have all been complete dogshit at trying to overcome the obstacles but their will still be a premier crowned.
I'd suggest that if you have been complete dogshit at overcoming the obstacles you're not going to win the premiership.

Can we just write off 2020 already. Keep playing games but just for shits and giggles, lets get wild with rule changes.

- 3 minute quarters
- All odd numbered players coming to the bench must be replaced by even numbered players, and vice versa
- MULTIBALLLLLLL

- 3 minute quarters
- All odd numbered players coming to the bench must be replaced by even numbered players, and vice versa
- MULTIBALLLLLLL

YES MULTIBALL!

RELEASE THE BULLS AT HALF TIME!

SQUARE FOOTBALLS!

MOVING GOAL POSTS!

HORSE BACK FOOTY!

Definitely no asterisk for me, whoever wins the flag will have overcome a lot of once in a lifetime unforeseen obstacles, will be a fantastic achievement to win it IMO.
I’m with you on that, my team is clearly no chance to win the flag but I will respect the team that does...unless it’s West Coast then it’s a massive *

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's wrong with that? All season people have been saying AFL teams should get special treatment because they have different quarantine arrangements and hubs, and now that the adjustment is made they should be treated like everyone else?

Personally I am happy with what's happening with Round 6 and 7 - and beyond. If each State government ticks off on it, what's the issue? I assume regular testing is still taking place, and that hub and quarantine arrangements will be strictly enforced.

So on Monday it was said that it wasn’t safe for Richmond to fly to Queensland to play West Coast

But today it’s been said that it’s safe for St Kilda to fly to Queensland to play Fremantle.

The confirmed case data hasn’t significantly changed in 5 days....

I understand the AFL perspective to allow exemptions to continue the competition, but as I’ve said earlier if I was a Queenslander I’d say that the Premier is being soft by making that exemption when the first rule was only made 5 days ago— quite a quick backflip.

Baffles me that people are still going on about an aStErIsK fLaG. A flag is a flag, whoever wins it has earnt it

Correct, did Fitzroy put an * on the 1944 flag? 4 team comp bottom of the ladder and win the flag. Or any other war year flag where some teams like my own couldn’t play.
What about 1897, do Essendon put an * on that because a GF was not played? I don’t think so.
They all count.

This is definitely not going to be viewed the same as a typical premiership. Either you're in the camp that it's an asterisk and not fair, or you're in the camp that it's more deserved than any other, I'm in the camp that it will be more deserved than any other I think but it changes by the day. Either way, it's not a typical premiership.

I'm so thankful we have a sport that we all love on and be thankful there are people in charge of the game that are able to make the movements and put the things in place so that we can all enjoy it.

So on Monday it was said that it wasn’t safe for Richmond to fly to Queensland to play West Coast

But today it’s been said that it’s safe for St Kilda to fly to Queensland to play Fremantle.

The confirmed case data hasn’t significantly changed in 5 days....

I understand the AFL perspective to allow exemptions to continue the competition, but as I’ve said earlier if I was a Queenslander I’d say that the Premier is being soft by making that exemption when the first rule was only made 5 days ago— quite a quick backflip.

Obviously there has been negotiations behind the scenes and there is nothing wrong with a Premier initially taking a cautious approach and then allowing it once further advice has come to hand. As far as I know, each Premier has been acting upon the advice of their health experts and with the exception of Victoria this has meant they are all in the enviable position of being poised to eradicate it within their borders.

If the AFL can outline the quarantine requirements, distancing and hygiene protocols, and testing regime to the hosting State - and they are okay with it - then sure thing. It's not like the AFL clubs would be able to mingle with the public except under strict controlled circumstances anyway.

If I was a Queenslander I'd be happy at the position my government's taken - in fact, for every other state and territory in Australia bar one.

Like in WA, teams from the same state can play each other whilst undergoing the 14 day quarantine.

So you can see that North are playing Richmond up in QLD. Once the 14 days are up (ie outside of Victoria), the clubs are free to move around all the other states and play each other freely without needing the restrictions.

I wouldn't be so sure with that applying to WA at this point in time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back