Preview Round 8 2024 – Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants, Saturday May 4, 1.45pm AEST, SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
just listening to the CD bloke on radio, he said Cogs is about the best defensive player in the comp (and the 2nd most damaging with the ball) and he reckons if Cogs goes head to head with Heeney it will have a big impact

Which is why the belting around the ball was such an anomaly against the blues. Put a line through it and move on.

Such a shame that through injuries and poor coaching cogs missed out on many years running through our midfield. Pushed forward for lesser players

I've put some thought into it and I'm placing my bets on our ins and outs ahead of tomorrow's team selection. I'll probably get it wrong, but my hat's off to anyone who can pick it right. Here's what I think:

Sam Taylor
Replaces Leek Aleer

Brent Daniels
Replaces James Peatling (Peatling becomes sub)

That's the easy ones out of the way...

Stephen Coniglio
I feel like there's 3 people Cogs could replace: Ward, XOH and Wehr. A few people have mentioned Wehr as a player who likely comes out. Personally the more I think about it, the less likely that seems. Having seen in media releases and interviews how much the Giants focus on each player playing a role, I think he keeps his spot as that dedicated winger. That brings it down to two possibilities, Ward or XOH. XOH had a good game on Anzac Day and he made a good case for selection. Ward honestly was looking a little bit like his age is catching up to him, but he's still recently returned from his injury and he still contributed well. For me though I actually think Ward stays in. One of the reasons will be sentimentality. This game gets him one game closer to 300. But in that same vein it also means he brings his 298 games of experience to the side. Along with his toughness, footy IQ and ability to be clean with the ball under pressure, could make him a big player in what's shaping up to be a very wet game. Cogs Replaces XOH

Toby Greene

I see this being a like-for-like replacement. With Toby coming back into the side, I reckon one of our young small forwards will have to make way. Harvey Thomas or Darcy Jones. The selection committee could look at this as an oppotunity to manage Thomas and give him a rest. He is a very young player who's played 7 gruelling games in a row. On the other hand, last Thursday he had as many inside 50 tackles as the entire Brisbane Lions team. That paired with his ability to extract the ball and find teammates with clean, efficient passes makes him just the sort of player you'd want in a rainy game. On the other hand Darcy Jones, everyone's favourite new player, had an incredible game last week. His speed and class made him so dangerous when attacking quickly. However, with such heavy rain forecast, I feel like those weapons are ones he might not be able to use effectively in such difficult conditions. That makes me think that Jones, who came in for Toby, might also be the one to go back out, despite playing such a great debut game. Greene replaces Jones

I've put some thought into it and I'm placing my bets on our ins and outs ahead of tomorrow's team selection. I'll probably get it wrong, but my hat's off to anyone who can pick it right. Here's what I think:

Sam Taylor
Replaces Leek Aleer

Brent Daniels

Stephen Coniglio
I feel like there's 3 people Cogs could replace: Ward, XOH and Wehr. A few people have mentioned Wehr as a player who likely comes out. Personally the more I think about it, the less likely that seems. Having seen in media releases and interviews how much the Giants focus on each player playing a role, I think he keeps his spot as that dedicated winger. That brings it down to two possibilities, Ward or XOH. XOH had a good game on Anzac Day and he made a good case for selection. Ward honestly was looking a little bit like his age is catching up to him, but he's still recently returned from his injury and he still contributed well. For me though I actually think Ward stays in. One of the reasons will be sentimentality. This game gets him one game closer to 300. But in that same vein it also means he brings his 298 games of experience to the side. Along with his toughness, footy IQ and ability to be clean with the ball under pressure, could make him a big player in what's shaping up to be a very wet game. Cogs Replaces XOH

Toby Greene

I see this being a like-for-like replacement. With Toby coming back into the side, I reckon one of our young small forwards will have to make way. Harvey Thomas or Darcy Jones. The selection committee could look at this as an oppotunity to manage Thomas and give him a rest. He is a very young player who's played 7 gruelling games in a row. On the other hand, last Thursday he had as many inside 50 tackles as the entire Brisbane Lions team. That paired with his ability to extract the ball and find teammates with clean, efficient passes makes him just the sort of player you'd want in a rainy game. On the other hand Darcy Jones, everyone's favourite new player, had an incredible game last week. His speed and class made him so dangerous when attacking quickly. However, with such heavy rain forecast, I feel like those weapons are ones he might not be able to use effectively in such difficult conditions. That makes me think that Jones, who came in for Toby, might also be the one to go back out, despite playing such a great debut game. Greene replaces Jones
Like your analysis.
My only query would be the out for Greene. I suspect it will be Cadman or Riccardi. In the forecast conditions I think Hogan, Riccardi/Cadmam, Brown and Greene is enough marking power for the SCG.
They probably pick the best backup ruckman of the two.

How unlucky would Jones be if your pick is right.

Sam Taylor
Replaces Leek Aleer

Brent Daniels

Stephen Coniglio

Toby Greene

With a ton of rain forecast, bring in Toby and rest Cads/ricca …, makes sense and gives the swans more to think about

Given the expected conditions I think it’s more likely a tall (probably Cadman) goes out. I also think the wet weather places more of a premium on tough, contested style players so both Ward and XO to stay this week.

Coniglio in for Wehr and Greene in for Cadman.

Given the expected conditions I think it’s more likely a tall (probably Cadman) goes out. I also think the wet weather places more of a premium on tough, contested style players so both Ward and XO to stay this week.

Coniglio in for Wehr and Greene in for Cadman.
I think Cadman might be the sub, but could be wrong.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bom apparently
Not showing as much rain as first predicted

Yeah, looking much better with the threat of heavy rain markedly reduced.

BoM app showing 25% (low) chance of at least 3mm for the duration of the game.

Hopefully we see this downgrade further and have a dry game.

I left the office today in the city and the sun was shining when I walked out, plenty blue sky which was a surprise. Hoping for a nice dry slot from the rain during the game, sun would be even better! 🤞

Brilliant video from GWS! They are kicking goals!

I got free tickets to the game. Problem is the person who is giving us the tickets is a passionate Swans member and he thinks I'm still a Swans fan instead of GWS bandwagoner that I am (that's another story).

I can't wear the orange vest or cap. If I seat near him, I won't be able to cheer the orange team every time we kick a goal. But I'm not gonna say no to the hottest tickets in town!

Go Giants!

Club has sent an email to members which contains a special link just for Giants members to access seats in Section 1 and 2 within the opposition bays for the game. I was of the impression this section was sold out. 😲

I'm sitting in this area, hopefully plenty of Giants fans are yet to buy tickets and pack it out in orange.

View attachment 1975310
Really weird stuff going on with the ticketing.

Sometimes the club's link works, sometimes it doesn't.

Last night the public 1.30pm allocation was being shown as sold out, but I doubt that.

Really weird stuff going on with the ticketing.

Sometimes the club's link works, sometimes it doesn't.

Perhaps try a different browser or change to opening it in incognito, I find it has a bit of an error at times.

Still plenty of Giants allocation that was released on Tuesday remaining due to most of buying tickets beforehand and then the way it was promoted probably didn't make it clear that this allocation is to sit among Giants fans...

Hope the club does another update to promote the unique link to buy these seats.

1714602996472.png
Last night the public 1.30pm allocation was being shown as sold out, but I doubt that.
Public tickets show as sold out until you click on find best available. Not sure why it doesn't let you choose your own seat for these ones.

I notice these are specifically being sold as undercover, possibly likely due to the weather.

1714602905399.png

Last edited:
Yeah, looking much better with the threat of heavy rain markedly reduced.

BoM app showing 25% (low) chance of at least 3mm for the duration of the game.

Hopefully we see this downgrade further and have a dry game.

I left the office today in the city and the sun was shining when I walked out, plenty blue sky which was a surprise. Hoping for a nice dry slot from the rain during the game, sun would be even better! 🤞
The dryer it is the faster it will be!

Everyone wins (including the Giants)

Bit of the backstory to Binga's benching as sub for the Lions game, and how his knee is now:

Daniels experienced the extremely rare situation of being an unused substitute in the ANZAC Day win over Brisbane in Canberra as the GIANTS chose to rest his sore knee. "I had a bit of a niggly knee up through the week from the Carlton game, so I was always pretty touch and go to play. A couple of weeks ago he (coach Adam Kingsley) marked this game as one where it might be a good time to get a rest in for me."

"When Toby (Greene) got suspended we had a really young forward line, so 'Kingers' just spoke about wanting me to be there to add value to the team, but as a sub in case the game's really close and we need a spark, so it was a bit of a unique one," Daniels explained. "Mostly I was ready to go. But once we kicked away, I understood that I probably wasn't going to come on, so it was actually quite boring towards the end."

He's now confident he's ready to go to take on the Swans at the SCG. "Yeah, I should be. Obviously, we've got a few things to tick off to make sure it's feeling really good, but there was no real major injury. It was just a bit of a knock, so I should be right to go," Daniels told
AFL.com.au.

With heavy rain forecast for Saturday’s SCG clash, the role of the diminutive operators in attack like Daniels will quite possibly carry even greater importance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back