Review Round 8, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m seriously hoping linc isnt acl. Just the way he jogged off …

Nephew lives in Canada, no private health. Did his acl and ran on it for the 9 months it took to get the surgery. Moving in a straight line was fine with fully ruptured acl, making turns or sidestepping was disastrous.

Hoping it's isn't acl, but ... If it is hoping he can make it back. Not an easy thing at his age, and he is our only reliable much on goal. We so need him.

I'm surprised at the lack of love for Daniher in the votes. Apart from a couple of massive brain farts I thought he played a great team game. He did some really good things - that run down tackle and goal in the first quarter - and covered every blade of grass.

That's not to take away from Zorko, Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage.... I was very impressed with Lohmann. I was very, very (very) unimpressed with Hipwood. He is so far out of sorts I don't think he's even good enough for the 2s at the moment.

That was some win overall though with those injuries. I really worried they would run overs us late on. Especially when we kept missing chances or making horrifically bad play-on decisions instead of taking a set shot for goal. I was screaming when Charlie scored - with relief more than anything - and then when Dunkley made that great tackle .......
I gave Joe a vote .

I was also disappointed in McLuggage tonight, but 601 meters gained is impressive. He’s lacking the polish he had, but perhaps he and the team) can play into form.

Zork’s 852 meters gained, fantastic. Leave him on halfback all season, maybe he wins a late career all-Australian, just like Dan Rich.

He should have been left at half back all year but last week found himself most forward against gws for some reason and you lost all your drive and creativity off half back. He is your best inside kick and cutting off those angles with 30m kicks to the middle.

But noooo, he had to play half forward last week.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I hope Logan's family are Brisbane based and go to games regularly.

Would be devastating for them if they missed this wonderful performance

The benefit of youth - just played reserves, and can go again. Love that we have young players in the ones now, though hate the injuries that enable it.
Parents were at the game to watch according to Fages. He had Maccas and soup between games and played in Ashcrofts wrong sized boots...amazing debut.

Would have to give the debutants another crack…. Gold Coast were not up to it tonight.
Highlighted that adding a new AFL team to the comp will be a hard gig.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fingers crossed the inured players are ok. Although didn’t look good.

Great win, our midfield really stood up. I criticised him during the week but fair play to Hipwood who was much improved this week. Best performance from him this season, worked his backside off and stayed present in the game all night. Gave Mac Andrew the run around. Hopefully more of that to come.

Thought Oscar was important tonight. Was able to largely neutralise Witts at the ruck contest, and also stop his work at the contest and around the ground. Witts was averaging 15+ disposals and 6+ clearances heading into tonight's game, and only had 5 disposals and 2 clearances tonight.

I was also impressed we were able to get our pressure rating to 199 in the third quarter given we were down to 2 (and Morris) on the bench.
Agree. I had Oscar in my best. Witts is a very good ruckman .

I desperately wanted to give Kai a vote but couldn't overlook Zorko, Dunkley, Lachie, Clug and last but not least, Harris who reigned supreme.

Harris has had a magnificent year but doesn't seem to even rate a mention in AA discussions in the media
Back to Lohmann, he had a ripper game.

He works his butt off, runs hard both ways, pressures the ball carrier and STICKS tackles despite his relatively slim frame. I also love his sense of awareness of the right spot to run to.

Just has to be kept in the side.

Brings energy and exuberance that rubs off on his team-mates
Kai also works very hard to be at the front of the pack whereas Charlie tends to be more at the back.

I hope Logan's family are Brisbane based and go to games regularly.

Would be devastating for them if they missed this wonderful performance

The benefit of youth - just played reserves, and can go again. Love that we have young players in the ones now, though hate the injuries that enable it.
Listening to him being interviewed he said his parents have been to all of his games this year including both today.

Big win from you guys tonight but the reality is you are facing a much tougher task against us. We have your measure and you'll need to be at your absolute best to beat us.

Yeah but matty nicks can’t coach so. Easy win to the lions.

“Tex you’re the lemon and lime Gatorade ok”

I remember this from under 10s

1714947728572.jpeg

More good may ultimately come out of the injury carnage than bad, despite how unfortunate it is for the injured players. Fagan always said that it takes a squad, not just a team, to be successful and now here we are.

Out of this we should get genuine opportunity for some players so that we can see what they have to offer. Reville, Sharp and Morris will all need more time and patience but each offers a point of difference that will help in the longer term. Lohmann is beginning to show he belongs and he is playing with more maturity already.

There is other talent worth investing in with game time over the course of the season: Brain, Torrent, Henry Smith would be three as well as continuing the development of players like Tunstill and Dev. Not everyone will make it but getting in new blood matters.

We want a long list of players who can play a role if needed and in the process we will find one or two genuine stars.

Take two players in the MSD, one as a mature backup to fill a hole and the other, just roll the dice on potential and see what happens.

So Berry played on the ball last night and Rayner didn't. Do we think that was planned with the inclusion of Sharp and Reville, or a response to the injuries?
Have to think it was planned and then McCarthy went down.

That was an inspirational debut from Morris and I guess the thinking was that at 18 he'd have the energy and be so excited to debut that he'd forget he'd played already. He was actually quite good off the ball and never dropped his head.

One thing we discovered last night is that the injection of youth can infuse the whole group. Everyone was genuinely excited when Morris kicked the goal.

A lot of our inaccuracy was due to tiredness . Some of the guys were dead on their feet in the third. But the backline held us together for the last 2 quarters and our M/F dug deep. Lachie was done but Dunkley stepped up and Zorko was playing like he was 25 again.

Apart from the injuries, the other concern out of the match was our diabolical kicking for goal.

From Joe's play- on spraying out out of bounds from the goal square to Logan missing soda set shots, Zorks missing three shots on the run that he kicks 9 times out of 10, Hugh's miscue on the run, Dunks missing an easy one. There were others, including Charlie hitting the wrong side of the ball from his trademark round the corner shot

We went from 7.5 late in the second quarter to 8.18 early in the last.

So 1.13 and 9 straight behinds in the third.......almost comical.

Looking at the positive side, it was a great credit to the boys that they continued to stay hard at it for four quarters.

You often see the energy sucked out of a whole side when goal scoring opportunities are massacred for a big chunk of the game. Combined with the horrific in -match injuries, we had every reason to think it was all to hard. Instead they willed themselves to a comprehensive and gutsy win.

So much for the the scuttlebutt about "disharmony" in the camp.

Well played team!

So Berry played on the ball last night and Rayner didn't. Do we think that was planned with the inclusion of Sharp and Reville, or a response to the injuries?

We had no bench to run cam through the middle. Plus cover for 2 forwards down.

Back