Review Round 9, 2017 - Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

BRISBANE LIONS v ADELAIDE
6 Charlie Cameron (Adel)
5 Eddie Betts (Adel)
5 Rory Laird (Adel)
4 Rory Sloane (Adel)
3 Dayne Beams (BL)
3 Matt Crouch (Adel)
2 Luke Brown (Adel)
1 Jake Lever (Adel)
1 Dayne Zorko (BL)

Coaches didn't get close on their top 5s this week with 9 players receiving votes and one getting a 5 from one coach and 0 from the other.
I noticed this. Really unusual.

Actually, both 5 votes were unique - received zero from the other. Charlie Cameron is the only player who received votes from both coaches (a 4 and a 2). Everyone else who got votes got them from only one coach.

I noticed this. Really unusual.

Actually, both 5 votes were unique - received zero from the other. Charlie Cameron is the only player who received votes from both coaches (a 4 and a 2). Everyone else who got votes got them from only one coach.

I didn't think Betts was that good.

I didn't think Betts was that good.
From the stands, I found it hard to tell which times it was Betts and which times it was Cameron. Especially because I was on the far side of the ground from most of the action.

(Note for anyone who considers that racist: there is no denigration there at all (express or implied), cross-race facial recognition is scientifically proven to be harder, and similar builds and skin tones mean I also couldn't tell a few times between guys like Zorko and Barrett).

From what I could tell, Betts was pretty good. We certainly looked a step behind every time he touched the ball, and he had some really important touches. I wouldn't be surprised if Fagan put a lot of effort into stopping him, and gave him the votes because he still had a lot of impact.

For voting though, there's no other way it could work:
- There are two 1-votes, can only be 1 and 1
- There are two 3-votes. As the ones are gone, it can't be a 2+1, has to be a 3 and 3.
- There are two 5-votes. As the ones and threes are gone, it can't be 2+3, or 4+1. has to be 5 and 5.
- This leaves 2, 4, 6. Has to be a 2, a 4, and a 2+4.

[QUOTE="lionshine, post:

How good was that from Berry to set up Zorks goal. Wish we had more like him.[/QUOTE]
What I love about Berry is that he does the simple stuff really well. Every time he gets the ball he pushes as hard as he can and drives his legs to create separation even if there isn't an opponent near him. You learn that stuff when you are in U12s but you don't often see many blokes in the top level still do it every time. The only ones that come to mind are the likes of Ablett, Judd, Aker etc. all greats of the game.

I like how Berry's first instinct every time he gains possesion is to create space for himself or take on anyone near him. Most young players would panic and look to dish it off straight away under pressure, but Berry backs himself in every time. The kid is going to be a gun

Last edited:
Back