Preview Round 9 2024 – Essendon vs GWS Giants, Saturday 11 May, 4.35pm AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Kingers was not happy with the game against the Swans. Apart from blowing up about the 6-6-6 violation, he saw that we certainly didn't adapt well enough to the wet conditions that arrived in the second quarter, although no doubt losing our biggest midfielder didn't help. But we just didn't play smart in the conditions, while the issue of the last few weeks (except for the Lions game) in respect of our midfield's lack of ability to compete and break even arose again. While we looked good in Q1, the rain certainly killed our running game, although can't take away from the Swans tactics that used the conditions well to assist in doing so.

Which brings us to next week's game against the Bombers. Like the Carlton game, it will be a battle of the gameplans, with Essendon's midfield thriving (Parish & Merrett certainly having great years) and a stoppage game on their agenda, while we will be happy for a dry game (Marvel Stadium, it has to be dry doesn't it?) to exploit our running game.

There will be at least 2 changes, with Tom Green likely to miss several weeks with his ankle, and Callum Brown likely to be suspended for some weeks. If Cogs was close for the Swans game, he should be back for next week's game. However, do we need other changes in the midfield? We've had midfield problems in several games, and our most dominant mid will be missing. I thought Peatling's game was good enough (both yesterday and the previous couple of games when coming on as sub), but do we need to bring Harry Rowston in for more firepower, and if so, who would go out for him? Some have suggested bringing Perryman into the midfield to bring Haynes into the team after some great performances in VFL, but I doubt that Kingsley would want to tinker with a reasonably strong defensive set-up (and Haynes doesn't do the same role as Pez does).

How do we replace Brown? What he brings to the team is speed and energy; he can leap high to take marks as he showed against the Swans for his two goals, and his speed troubles oppositions. The nearest like-for-like we have is Conor Stone, who has been playing very well in VFL, and sits amongst the top 6 goalscorers while playing that medium-sized forward role. We could go for Max Gruzewski, who has also been playing well, but at 192 cm (vs Stone's 189 cms) is that slightly too tall? Stone makes more tackles, but I'm unsure of their in-game speed comparison (doesn't seem that much in it). The alternative is to just go smaller, and for example bring Harvey Thomas back into the team from the sub role. Effectively, this would acknowledge that no-one can replace exactly what Brown brings to the team in terms of skills and balance.

For Kingers, there's a question of does he makes changes beyond those necessary to "shake things up", or does he just need to have the players getting consistent game time and incrementally improving over the year? In the end, the H&A battle is about securing a top 4 spot, then resetting for finals - hopefully hitting our straps late in the H&A season and into finals. So, which of those options open to Kingers gets us the best long-term outcome? As Maximus pointed out, we're still somewhat of a young and inexperienced team compared to others, so is it a case of just needing to continue putting games into the players we deem as best available?

We certainly won't want to drop a second game in a row, as we'll be back in the middle of chasing pack. Essendon is an interesting team - sitting 5th but with a sub-100 percentage, having scraped narrow wins over non-top 8 teams (West Coast, Adelaide) while getting smashed by Port (who themselves have now dropped a couple of games). But it's also an away game - we need to recapture our away form of last year to put them away, with more games against top 8 sides coming up.

So, what are your thoughts? What changes would you like to see, or envisage that Kingers will make?

We also have a very good recent form against Essendon - we have won 5 of the last 6 matches we have played against them. Unfortunately our record against them at Marvel is not so good - we have won just 1 (during 2016) of the 4 games ever against Essendon in Marvel.

Cogs in for Green is the obvious change, his presence in the midfield will help us now that we'll be missing Green.

I think you're right when you say that we don't have a like-for-like replacement for Brown. I definitely don't think we should be bringing in a tall to replace him. I say we focus on using our small forwards to create pressure, our current 3 talls should still be sufficient. I'd bring XOH back into the team, both Peatling and XOH can do stints in both the forward line and midfield as is require for our rotations.

Lastly I'd drop Thomas for a bit. He's been good but his slight frame can be a bit of a liability in toughly contested games. I would prefer to see Haynes get his spot as the sub back. He's been really good in the VFL and gives us an appropriate replacement should a tall get injured.

Out: Brown, Thomas
In: Cogs, Haynes

B: Taylor, Buckley, Idun
HB: Ash, Himmelberg, Whitfield
C: Wehr, Kelly, Callaghan
HF: Daniels, Cadman, Bedford
F: Greene, Hogan, Jones
R: Briggs, Cogs, Green
INT: Perryman, Riccardi, Ward, Peatling
Sub: Haynes

Edit: Okay nevermind, it looks like Green will be good for next week so I've changed the list accordingly.

Last edited:
Okay I’ve put my coaches hat on for this next week’s game and have the following advice for Kingers, on the assumption that Green and Brown are both out.

The midfield has definitely been misfiring all year. To me, the best it looked was that second half against Brisbane where Callaghan spent a lot more time in the middle than on the wing. Finn is really the only big, fast line breaker we have so I think he needs to spend more time there throwing his weight around and helping our clearance game. He essentially replaces Ward who I’m omitting.

Taking Finn’s wing spot is Isaac Cumming. Admittedly I haven’t seen any VFL action but if he’s now fit and has some games under his belt he’s in our top 22. A beautiful kick, good contested mark and experience makes for a good inclusion.

On the other wing I think Nick Haynes has done enough for a recall. Having Nick’s versatility is great in case a defender goes down as well.

O’Halloran back in to provide a bit of mongrel primarily as a high half forward replacing Brown. Not quite like for like, but not many players are like Cal Brown anyway. Xavier can kick a goal and brings good pressure.

Coniglio if fit the obvious in for Green, if not, Rowston next man up.

Cumming > Ward (omitted)
Haynes > Wehr (omitted)
Coniglio/Rowston > Green (injured)
O’Halloran > Brown (suspension)

OK, that's good news on Tom Green, or at least "positive" news. But let's hold off on the celebrations until later in the week.

It's classic Giants to put out a positive spin on injury ... then not actually have it be true.

Still, if both Green and Cogs are fine to play, does Cogs then come in for Brown? Or do we make other tweaks, as some are postulating?

OK, that's good news on Tom Green, or at least "positive" news. But let's hold off on the celebrations until later in the week.

It's classic Giants to put out a positive spin on injury ... then not actually have it be true.

Still, if both Green and Cogs are fine to play, does Cogs then come in for Brown? Or do we make other tweaks, as some are postulating?
Don’t move Cogs out of his preferred.

Okay I’ve put my coaches hat on for this next week’s game and have the following advice for Kingers, on the assumption that Green and Brown are both out.

The midfield has definitely been misfiring all year. To me, the best it looked was that second half against Brisbane where Callaghan spent a lot more time in the middle than on the wing. Finn is really the only big, fast line breaker we have so I think he needs to spend more time there throwing his weight around and helping our clearance game. He essentially replaces Ward who I’m omitting.

Taking Finn’s wing spot is Isaac Cumming. Admittedly I haven’t seen any VFL action but if he’s now fit and has some games under his belt he’s in our top 22. A beautiful kick, good contested mark and experience makes for a good inclusion.

On the other wing I think Nick Haynes has done enough for a recall. Having Nick’s versatility is great in case a defender goes down as well.

O’Halloran back in to provide a bit of mongrel primarily as a high half forward replacing Brown. Not quite like for like, but not many players are like Cal Brown anyway. Xavier can kick a goal and brings good pressure.

Coniglio if fit the obvious in for Green, if not, Rowston next man up.

Cumming > Ward (omitted)
Haynes > Wehr (omitted)
Coniglio/Rowston > Green (injured)
O’Halloran > Brown (suspension)
I doubt they'll drop Ward for his 300th game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was at the game with free tickets. Bill Oreiley stand so an excellent vantage point. Thankfully I was able to cheer loudly for the Giants!

As others have stated the above, the second qtr was pivotal. Didn't realise Tom Green was injured until after the game. Umps were soft on the Swans.

I was surprised that Toby was not in the middle in the second half when it was clear that the Swans were dominating CBC. Assuming Tom Green can't play, you will need some x factor in the middle against in form Essendon. Essendon Edge is real deal. They are bringing toughness and Zach Merritt is gaining possessions for fun. As a punter, I'm leaning towards the Bombers but hoping Kingsley can adjust.

Go the Giants.

Game Day guide from the club. Also seems a good deal for people who cannot attend the match, but can attend our Vailo Community Centre - but presume the free gift is if you spend over $150

GIANTS HQ WATCH PARTY
Join us this Saturday at the VAILO Community Centre in Sydney Olympic Park for a GIANT Watch Party from 4pm as the GIANTS take on the Bombers.

Following the footy, head across the road to Ken Rosewall Arena as GIANTS Netball take on the Sunshine Coast Lighting from 7pm.

What we have on offer:
Be one of the first 20 through the door to receive a free GIANTS footy while all those who RSVP will receive a FREE ticket to GIANTS v Sunshine Coast Lightning on Saturday night.

Footy specials:

• $4 hot chips
  • $5 pies & sausage rolls
  • $12 burrito bowls
  • Select beverages
Merchandise:
  • Free gift over $150
  • Buy a keep cup and get a free coffee
Following the GIANTS v Essendon match, join us across the road as GIANTS Netball take on the Sunshine Coast Lighting from 7pm at Ken Rosewall Arena. All GIANTS fans in attendance will receive a free ticket to this event.

Double milestone in this match, assuming selection:

300 - Cal Ward
100 - Sam Taylor

Callan Ward - 300 AFL Games

GIANTS star Callan Ward will play his 300th AFL match against Essendon on Saturday. An AFL and GIANTS Life Member, Ward began his career at the Western Bulldogs, playing 60 games, before moving to the GIANTS for the club’s inaugural season. Named as one of the GIANTS’ inaugural co-captains, Ward is one of the most influential figures in club history and sits in the record books as the GIANTS’ first-ever goal kicker, first club champion winner and games record holder.

Sam Taylor - 100 AFL Games

All Australian defender Sam Taylor will play his 100th AFL game when the GIANTS take on the Bombers on Saturday. Taylor was selected at pick 28 in the 2017 Draft with the West Australian suffering early setbacks - including a severe bout of septic arthritis - before cementing himself as one of the competition’s best defenders. He won All Australian honours in 2022 and claimed the Kevin Sheedy Medal before another stellar season in 2023.

Tom Green said on In The Green Room podcast, recorded yesterday, that he was touch and go for the Essendon game.

I'm leaning more towards him being an out given the amount of swelling and bleeding around the tear he mentioned that he had.

He talks about it from around the 1 minute mark:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back