Review Round 9, 2024 - Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

crazy GIF
We must hold the world record for posters surely...

Pretty happy with how Brain bounced back from being pinged holding the ball with his first touch of the footy
That was a holding the ball pulled out of the Umpires anus, he was grabbed instantly and had 1 arm pinned to him in the tackle.

The lack of consistency in the holding the ball decisions is so f ing frustrating.

What is this, the train to Robina that BRAB lives on? This is Gold Coast behaviour

I’ve had enough s**t talking of my city after Hollow Knight went all in earlier in the week. Don’t even start with me today kiddo.

I’ve had enough s**t talking of my city after Hollow Knight went all in earlier in the week. Don’t even start with me today kiddo.

Witness the meth rage of your average Gold Coastian.

I’ll take the draw!!

Awesome game. I thought it was going to slip, but the boys toughed it out.
Sorry mate, don't get me wrong, it was a fantastic game but the draw doesn't help us or them. As far as making finals goes it's more or less the same as a loss. If you see how animated the oppo coach was and everyone else involved you can tell that both teams know this. Draws should be delt with with extra time and or golden goal. 👍

For such a skilled player McCluggage makes some dreadful errors at critical times. After his massive turnover in the second quarter which caused a goal it was unbelievable that he would try the same kick again late in the last. That really cost us the game along with McKenna’s brain fade when he turned it over too.

What is this, the train to Robina that BRAB lives on? This is Gold Coast behaviour

I don’t have a death wish. The train to Nerang is the gulag of train lines

It's been reassuring seeing Reville, Brain and Morris come into the side and not look completely lost at AFL level. The depth in our list probably isn't great but we have 9 players who are probably ahead of them out of the side, so we're getting down to the 30-32nd players on our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been reassuring seeing Reville, Brain and Morris come into the side and not look completely lost at AFL level. The depth in our list probably isn't great but we have 9 players who are probably ahead of them out of the side, so we're getting down to the 30-32nd players on our list.

Morris has something about him but clearly doesn’t have the fitness to run out games yet.

Which is totally understandable but he’s a prime candidate to get a rest in a few weeks.

Morris has something about him but clearly doesn’t have the fitness to run out games yet.

Which is totally understandable but he’s a prime candidate to get a rest in a few weeks.

Yeah I agree. He does seem to have a knack of getting to the right spots which is tough to teach. 7 scoring shots in his first two games most (all?) of which were kickable is a fair effort.

Looking at the calendar there is some hope..

Next two weeks we have Richmond (home) and Hawthorn (away). If we can win those two games we head into the bye with 5 wins, 5 losses and a draw. We won’t be in the top 8 yet but we will be in striking distance and have a much needed week off.

By the time of round 13 we play away to the Western Bulldogs which looks like a 50/50 and an absolute must win for us. We get Bailey back by then and probably Starcevich.

If we win that we should be top 8, and have Ashcroft back in the side any week and we can make a real push for contention.

Our ladder position reflects to how we have played. IMHO whilst we may improve in the remaining games this season as far as premiership aspirations were done……hope I am wrong.

For such a skilled player McCluggage makes some dreadful errors at critical times. After his massive turnover in the second quarter which caused a goal it was unbelievable that he would try the same kick again late in the last. That really cost us the game along with McKenna’s brain fade when he turned it over too.
McKenna’s multiple brain fades, surprising lack of skill and, at times, minimal defensive efforts were striking in a team that really had a crack and looked reasonably skilled (despite a number of newbies).

Without being to harsh given he’s coming off two hammies, I do wonder how committed McKenna is to getting the best out of himself playing AFL footy. He’s obviously already gone home once, but I remember an article from last year and the vibe I got from it was he was pretty keen to get home again as soon as his career was done, which I don’t believe will be well into his 30s like other players.

He obviously signed the one year deal originally and then left it late last year to take the 2 year offer up. I’m wondering if he only stuck around after we got so close last year, he thought he might snag a flag before he goes back. If that is his mentality (and it may not be), but if it is it would be hard to be as committed to the cause as perhaps he should be.

I believe aggressive kick back into corridor is a gameplan thing. We see McCluggage, Zorko and Payne try it in one game. We lack the perfection around it but it looks like instinct play so there'll be hits n misses. Just have to roll with it this season and hope we perfect it by second half.

Andrews is the best defender in the league. The rest of our defence needs to improve though. Lester has been good this season but had a weak game today. Payne took some good contested marks but struggled with kicking and when the ball hits the deck. Unfortunately McKenna isn’t up to standard right now, which I assume is injury related. According to the AFL Player Ratings, McKenna is our worst player with 4 or more games (4.2, next worst are Tunstil at 4.9 and Gardiner at 5.1). He really has to go.

Sometimes when McKenna kicked around the corner up in the air to nobody in particular, it felt like answerth from 2 years ago was back on the ground playing.

I was just having a quick squiz at Nerang on google maps to remind myself why I never go there, but amazing that you have all of your fine dining restaurants next to each other.

1715509204469.png

Back