Autopsy Round 9, 2024 : Hawks slap the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

They won every stat. That's a serious win considering we kicked 2 goals in the 2nd half and none in the last.
We've got about 4 blokes to come back that will fix the structural issues.

The Ginni miss would have iced the game. But we managed the last 3 mins better than they did. That was the game.
That's best game you'll ever see from a ruckman, in Marshall, yet Meek still had 47 hitouts. He seriously stood up.

Also Gunner is fried. We need Chol back asap.
Statistically it was yes but did he influence the game as much as his stats suggest? Don't get caught up in stats, he took the ball out of the ruck countless times and bashed it forward any which way. He's an old fashioned ruckman and TBH I actually think he needs more of a chop out to be more effective.

If this paints a picture.

Lloyd Meek had 46 hitouts with 14 to advantage (99 contests) win rate of 47% and HTA of 30%.

Marshall 35 hitouts with just 6 to advantage. 40% win rate and just 17% rate to advantage.

Meek dominated around contest. The game was just set up for Marshall taking it out and hacking it straight back to the intercept defenders.

How's Ross Lyon - what a dickhead. Concedes 4 goals in the first quarter and goes with the only game plan he knows - destroying the game and hoping to win it with a 9 goal game
What's funny is that he cannot get his team up against a bottom four team and has to resort to these tactics for three quarters.

If this paints a picture.

Lloyd Meek had 46 hitouts with 14 to advantage (99 contests) win rate of 47% and HTA of 30%.

Marshall 35 hitouts with just 6 to advantage. 40% win rate and just 17% rate to advantage.

Meek dominated around contest. The game was just set up for Marshall taking it out and hacking it straight back to the intercept defenders.
Ya, 8 scrubby inside 50s and 0 score involvements. In a game that could have easily been won by the Saints he dumped it forward instead of looking for a better option.

That Amon kick to Jars in the last.
Meek the freak will be regarded as a premier ruckman soon.
Frenchies best game for the club.
That tap on the arse by the wiz😂 this kid is going to be AA before he retires and have a lot of kids wearing his number, he just has it in spades.
Scrim massive.

I could go on but I think I might crack a beer and head on over to the saints board for a bit to hear how bad of a side they were beaten by😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many would have picked us to be 3 - 6 today, a few weeks ago?
Really should be 5-4, if not for terrible kicking against the bombres and the late miss by Croc when we had the Pies on the ropes. Wins that went begging.

Edit: Worpel is only averaging 16.7 touches over the last 6 games. Maybe his role is changing.
As the team improves and hopefully becomes a finals candidate, it will be on the back of others taking over more central roles in between the arcs.

I think James will remain a constant, but the fact is, he played really well in our early losses and has been less prominent in wins.

That’s okay - as we still need guys like him to get the hard nut and distribute to the quality ball users.

Saints re-hiring Ross

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

His game plan

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Thought Dears attack on the high ball and contested marking was so important early. Probably didn’t have many touches but also should’ve had a goal that he gave off to CMac. The boys are really a having a crack, physically which is making all the difference.

Rd 8 onwards huh ;)

Honestly I take a lot more out of a scrappy, hard-fought win over a mid range team like StKilda than I do over a strong late season win over a top 4 team like the Lions / Pies.

These are the types of games you have to win to make the finals and I think it shows the progression of the sides maturity that we have done it two weeks in a row.

You can't always win by playing at 100%, you need to find a way to win ugly when the need arises.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back