Autopsy Round 9, 2024 : Hawks slap the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

I find myself watching all these shows when we win and there’s never anything on us. The north and dogs wins were all about how bad those teams must be.
Cos the footy media is so miserable.

They either over-hype players (e.g. Daicos) or smash clubs and coaches.

Every media guy is lining up to be the next one to give the harshest most critical views.

We were all over the media when Mitchell was under fire. Now that we've won a few games they don't want to talk about it. We are only media worthy if we are imploding.

I find myself watching all these shows when we win and there’s never anything on us. The north and dogs wins were all about how bad those teams must be.
Those shows invariably focus on negatives. Do yourself a favour and give them a miss, regardless of result

I put this ‘error’ on his team mates. There can’t have been anyone calling Dimma in for that mark, or calling for young Calsher to protect Dimma. Loved the attack at the contest, even though it was his team mate.

PS - Thanks for all the love after my horrific news last week. We laid Crackers to rest on Thursday, his coffin was covered entirely in Hawks Membership scarves. Was an extremely emotional day, but we farewelled him in Crackers style with lots of Ouzo and Sambuca! I bet he was smiling down on York Park yesterday afternoon too🤩
Also buried my father in law this week.

seems like a diffrerent midfield with will day back
I think it's more than just that, there is Meek and adjustments to the midfield as well. It all adds up. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts sort of thing.
I put this ‘error’ on his team mates. There can’t have been anyone calling Dimma in for that mark, or calling for young Calsher to protect Dimma. Loved the attack at the contest, even though it was his team mate.

PS - Thanks for all the love after my horrific news last week. We laid Crackers to rest on Thursday, his coffin was covered entirely in Hawks Membership scarves. Was an extremely emotional day, but we farewelled him in Crackers style with lots of Ouzo and Sambuca! I bet he was smiling down on York Park yesterday afternoon too🤩
We buried my father during Covid with his Hawks beanie and a picture of his last dog on the coffin. The dog was named Leigh - after Leigh Matthews.

Game high pressure acts.
Close to game high tackle count.
Nash was huge in thwarting their movement out of contests.
Thought he played the ultimate inside defensive mid game.
One of our best this week.

Nash was superb. Should have had two goal assists if Croc converted.

He sprinted 30m to make that spoil.

I absolutely loved the cheekiness (pun intended) of the Wiz, given time he will nail those shots and you like me will be laughing.
Moores kick was frustrating because it failed to go the distance, tired legs perhaps? Cmacs always looked 50/50 to me and hopefully after the review he improves in situations like that to give himself better odds of kicking a goal.
Ginni hmmmm directly in front. I wasn't upset but rather thought that these things happen sometimes. Is it lack of concentration that caused it? He definitely wouldn't want to do it again.
Amon is such a good kick and advantages the team far often than not, nothing to worry about there.
The Ginni bomb, certainly the coaches & Ginni come to an agreement on what are the right options to consider and the right action take when situations like that ever happen in the future.
We've got a few young small & hungry goalkickers that don't mind the spotlight and sticking it to the opposition. Mistakes will be made but once they gel .......Boom! Then throw in Chad to the mix.

A few of Moore's shots on goal have fallen short this season. Especially the snaps around the corner.

I think he’s the most valuable asset on our list with the highest upside. Doesn’t mean he will be our best player, but he could be. And I have no idea what role that will be in. Doing a great job playing key defence in his second season but still feel his highest and best use will be in a more attacking role.
A second year player who can play anywhere from wing to midfield to ruck to kpp, currently holding his own against some of the best forwards in the comp.

I think he’s flying under the radar a bit due to us being a developing side, plus playing more defensively, but I think he could be one of the best players in the competition in a few years time.

Something we have brought to the last two games that has been lacking all year is our pressure in the forward half. Early in the season teams would walk the ball out of our defence to their HF area with absolutely no pressure or risk.

It was more of a strategic issues rather than effort problem, where we just gave too much space and it made it easy for teams to kick through our defence and use overlap to break down our plan. We've clearly reviewed and made some tweaks and whilst it is likely only a minor adjustment, it has made us look a lot more dangerous in attack and also given us a lot more repeated entries.

Also, shout out to Serong. Got dropped, went back to Box Hill and played a great game and got another chance and really stood up. 14 disposals (93%), 8 intercept possessions, one hand of God near the end. Tough role coming in to replace the skipper but he was solid in defense.

Others worthy of a mention, Mass continued to impress, Weddle is really growing as a player before our eyes and Mackenzie looks more and more comfortable and confident each week.

Something we have brought to the last two games that has been lacking all year is our pressure in the forward half. Early in the season teams would walk the ball out of our defence to their HF area with absolutely no pressure or risk.

It was more of a strategic issues rather than effort problem, where we just gave too much space and it made it easy for teams to kick through our defence and use overlap to break down our plan. We've clearly reviewed and made some tweaks and whilst it is likely only a minor adjustment, it has made us look a lot more dangerous in attack and also given us a lot more repeated entries.

Also, shout out to Serong. Got dropped, went back to Box Hill and played a great game and got another chance and really stood up. 14 disposals (93%), 8 intercept possessions, one hand of God near the end. Tough role coming in to replace the skipper but he was solid in defense.

Others worthy of a mention, Mass continued to impress, Weddle is really growing as a player before our eyes and Mackenzie looks more and more comfortable and confident each week.
And this. Mitchell's kick to Bruest, the Wiz does a dummy lead to open a hole and Mitchell drills it to Bruest. What an incredible kick late in the game. This Kid !!!!!!
Just adding the Amon kick to Impey was sublime, then Mitchell's run and kick, mark by Bruest set shot and goal is at the 2.30 min to go mark in the 3rd. Worth another watch.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He kept grabbing it out the ruck which counts as a contested possession. Not many were effective.

It was a St.Kilda record, not AFL.
maybe this is something for Reeves to work on, just needs to be willing to jump a tiny bit.

I hope Amon last kick to not even get a point is reviewed by all players and they learn about what needs to be done in such cases.

When only a point is needed and if you think you are just out of range, get close to man on mark, veer a tiny bit off and kick. No idea why players still kick 10-15 m away from man on mark.

Ross Lyon coached games suck. I’ve no interest in rewatching that despite the win and plenty of positives.

I struggled through a second time and while we were lucky in some areas, I noted that half or more of their goals were from mistakes on our part - the kind of mistakes that we will eventually iron out. First watch: I thought we showed spirit and were a bit lucky to win. Second watch: our system was much better than theirs, we had more polish and they were lucky to be as close as they were.

This is exactly why he does it imo. Media will focus on that stupid excuse rather than his teams insipid performance.

totally. look at how he asked if they knew what he meant. he wasn't leaving until they had their headline about AFL rules/coaches being disgruntled, rather than Saints are crap.

I think it's more than just that, there is Meek and adjustments to the midfield as well. It all adds up. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts sort of thing.

We buried my father during Covid with his Hawks beanie and a picture of his last dog on the coffin. The dog was named Leigh - after Leigh Matthews.
I buried my own father during covid (although I couldn't attend the funeral because of border closures. Had a budgerigar in my teens named Barney, after Leigh.

Nash played a great game. He was on Sinclair the majority of that game and held him to having minimal impact on the game. It went a long way in us winning this game

I agree, and I love the guy. Hoping he can add goal kicking and being a bit more dangerous by foot more often. Loved his long pass to the wiz for a goal.

Nash played a great game. He was on Sinclair the majority of that game and held him to having minimal impact on the game. It went a long way in us winning this game
Yep agreed, I thought he was terrific. At times it looked like Worpel was also on Sinclair, but that might have just been my untrained eye!

Yep agreed, I thought he was terrific. At times it looked like Worpel was also on Sinclair, but that might have just been my untrained eye!
Yep worps was on him for a bit as i said nashy was on him for the majority

Remove this Banner Ad

Back