Current Royal Commission into Lawyer X gangland convictions on tainted evidence & police corruption

Remove this Banner Ad

Last week I had an after work drinks with a somewhat senior Melbourne QC that knows all the Gobbos and he was telling me that the legal community is filthy with this case, not because they have any love for the crooks or hatred for the police but because many lawyers feel that this case puts at risk the needed trust between them and their clients. He was less than polite in how he felt about certain senior police for even entertaining Gobbo. He was telling me that what has upset many is that Gobbo is from the establishment which likes to keep an arms distance from the underworld, just as the underworld stays out of the establishment's way.

Last week I had an after work drinks with a somewhat senior Melbourne QC that knows all the Gobbos and he was telling me that the legal community is filthy with this case, not because they have any love for the crooks or hatred for the police but because many lawyers feel that this case puts at risk the needed trust between them and their clients. He was less than polite in how he felt about certain senior police for even entertaining Gobbo. He was telling me that what has upset many is that Gobbo is from the establishment which likes to keep an arms distance from the underworld, just as the underworld stays out of the establishment's way.
The worst thing about this whole mess is the effect it'll have on client/lawyer relationships.

Let em all out, they're all innocent, pay em heaps of compo, give them a public apology and a few solicitors pick up a few pennies on the way.
The Lucky Country, s**t, sorry I forgot, it's not our Country.

Let em all out, they're all innocent, pay em heaps of compo, give them a public apology and a few solicitors pick up a few pennies on the way.
The Lucky Country, s**t, sorry I forgot, it's not our Country.

You get a fair trial in a lucky country.

In other news the father to one of Nicole Gobbo’s children has been denied early release.
Richard Barkho, currently serving a minimum of 5 years for drug trafficking.

Denied this morning.

Starts Wednesday, live streaming.

The Commission will hold public hearings from Wednesday 27 March 2019 to Friday 29 March 2019.

The first witness will be Neil Paterson APM, Assistant Commissioner, Intelligence and Covert Support Command, Victoria Police.

The focus of the hearings will then be on Victoria Police's dealings with Nicola Gobbo between 1993 and 2000. A number of current and former members of Victoria Police will give evidence.

The public hearings will commence at 10.00 am Wednesday 27 March 2019 at Fair Work Commission, Court Room 1, level 6, 11 Exhibition Street. Usual hearing hours will be from 10.00 am to 1.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm unless the Commission determines otherwise.

Those wishing to attend should note that the hearings may be streamed live through this website and images of people in the public gallery could be captured.

https://www.rcmpi.vic.gov.au/hearings

Starts Wednesday, live streaming.

The Commission will hold public hearings from Wednesday 27 March 2019 to Friday 29 March 2019.

The first witness will be Neil Paterson APM, Assistant Commissioner, Intelligence and Covert Support Command, Victoria Police.

The focus of the hearings will then be on Victoria Police's dealings with Nicola Gobbo between 1993 and 2000. A number of current and former members of Victoria Police will give evidence.

The public hearings will commence at 10.00 am Wednesday 27 March 2019 at Fair Work Commission, Court Room 1, level 6, 11 Exhibition Street. Usual hearing hours will be from 10.00 am to 1.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm unless the Commission determines otherwise.

Those wishing to attend should note that the hearings may be streamed live through this website and images of people in the public gallery could be captured.

https://www.rcmpi.vic.gov.au/hearings
So much for getting outside in the cooler weather we finally have now.

Last edited:

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk
cac41002e004b3adf0150d9f006492d5.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it? Can't see any reason why. He appeared in open court under his own name against Williams and Brincat.
I always thought he was under the name Mr X.

I recall his name being used when arrested and then Mr X when he decided to roll, but since then nothing but a artical from the HS about him being released.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/mar/30/lawyer-x-what-we-learnt-royal-commission

In 1993, Gobbo was a law student at Melbourne University who lived with her boyfriend, Brian Wilson, in a house she owned in Rathdowne Street, Carlton. She earned $100 a week at a part-time job at a concession stand at the MCG.

Knew there had to be a Big Footy link in this case!
A property owner whilst still a student.
How old was Gobbo in 1993?
Possibly in only her 1st or 2nd year at University and 18 or 19 years old?

On 3 September 1993, police searched the house following an anonymous tip-off, which the royal commission heard was not made by Gobbo.
Inspector Trevor Ashton, who was then a sergeant, told the royal commission Gobbo told him where the drugs were hidden.

Being involved the way she was as a labor "activist" who knows what enemies she made and who was keeping close tabs on her to did up dirt.

Wilson was convicted of drug trafficking and given an eight-month suspended jail sentence, while Gobbo pleaded guilty to possession and received no conviction and a good behaviour bond. She had informal contact with police over the next 18 months, mainly through bumping into Ashton at the MCG. In 1995, she was registered as an informant for the first time.

Is anyone keeping up to date with todays session?
Wayne Strawhorn is getting a hell of a lot of mentions as is the drug squad,

Current witness is a "Mr Kruger" which is a psuedonym, any thoughts of who this may actually be?
I am leaning towards Firth or Rosenes previously of the drug squad.

Current witness is a "Mr Kruger" which is a psuedonym, any thoughts of who this may actually be?

Haven't had time to check in, what are they saying?

Did he turn up in a prison van?
Maybe it's Glenn Sadler. Gobbo was appointed by the Victorian Police Federation to defend him. I believe he got the second longest sentence out of Ferguson, Cox & himself. The other two got different lawyers. I'd bet that he'd be happy to get an outing to the RC. ;)

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back