Rugby in Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Rugby in Perth is fairly big ...... around where i live, although it should be, with the the amount of kiwis, poms and south africans(white) in the area.

Although at junior base they will have the same problems that they have everywhere else in OZ in that the polynesian kids who generally are bigger can influence many white kids (or their parents) to play soccer of footy.

We have quite a few south african and english kids at our club ...... but not many kiwis, its quite possible these kids may return to play rugby at a older age group..... at least their will be plenty of fullbacks to go around if they do ;)

on the local News in Bundaberg Qld.
Rugby is dieing
They are haveing an emergency meeting this week to try and find a solution to drop in crowds and drop in players.
They blame the AFL
They say if we cant get young kids to play the game its going to die.

One of the main reasons rugby crowds are down in Perth is the sheer shitness of Subiaco Oval. MES hasn't been developed further and has next to no corporate facilities, while the new stadium won't be ready for a decade.

A 6/7 game Force membership costs more than an 11 game Eagles membership, and Subiaco Oval is the worst rugby venue in Australia.

One of the main reasons rugby crowds are down in Perth is the sheer shitness of Subiaco Oval. MES hasn't been developed further and has next to no corporate facilities, while the new stadium won't be ready for a decade.

Why upgrade MES when the Force has pulled out ?

A 6/7 game Force membership costs more than an 11 game Eagles membership, and Subiaco Oval is the worst rugby venue in Australia.

No comment needed .

Crowds in Perth have only gone down because of the above reasons - s**t stadium, why they have to play there is sad, unfortunetly they dont have a rectangle stadium. I wouldnt worry, if Force had a rectangle, 40000 seater in a good location they would fill it up. Add that the team itself needs to live up to its reputation of having a strong squad of title contenders, with the likes of Giteua you'd think they'd make the top 4 easy.. but no, they had a mid season slump and even lost to the Reds... The Reds!!!!!!

Super 14 membership is redicoulsy expensive, it ended up being cheaper to buy tickets at the gate I think.

I wouldnt worry though AFL trolls, embrace the game, dont hate it. I'm with Elbusto here. Union is my favourite sport. Its a great game to play and to watch, the bledisloe last week was a supurb game of rugby. And last game tomorrow for the season, coming back from injury so I'm reserving so hopefully come on in the 2nd half. Second rower myself.

Hopefully a Victorian Super 14 side can in the next few years, even coinciding with the opening of the new rectangle stadium. It can be successful, it can grab a player of the calibre of Elsom, who grew up in Victoria till he was 12 and he is was a stong backer for a Victorian team a years ago. Even grab players like Digby Ioane and Timana Tahu who also grew up Victoria.

I just want all the Aussie teams to do well for once in one season. Though with all the Kiwis going to Europe and the NZ teams getting weaker, I think the Aussie teams will capatilise and we do well next season :thumbsu:

Carn the Queensland Reds. :thumbsu:

Crowds in Perth have only gone down because of the above reasons - s**t stadium, why they have to play there is sad, unfortunetly they dont have a rectangle stadium.

The Force chose not to play in MES , which has a higher capacity
than the crowds they are currently attracting .The MES upgrade
was primarily for the Force , so you'll never get any sympathy .
:(

Rugby bigger in Perth than AFL is in Sydney:thumbsu:

So that's why all 22 of the Swans matches are shown live/near live in Sydney on free-to-air TV along with a fair whack of non-Swans AFL matches yet all Super 14 matches are stuck on pay TV and the majority of Wallabies matches are aired on multiple hours delays in Perth?

I will give an answer for it.
In the tv deal made with the AFL the channels were forced to show the games live or near live into sydney.
The ratings are crap an if they could they would show the games alot later.

Rugby in perth still has plenty of support.
We choose not to go because the seating is absolutely crap and doesnt justify the price.

Even if they were right up the top in standings crowd numbers will never be as high as they were in the first few seasons because supporters cannot put up with such crap seating an being so far away from the play.

When internatiol rugby games are here it will sell out because its pretty much a 1 off thing where as force is 6 - 7 games of putting up with the seating an distance.

I was a member for the first 2 seasons but now like many others chosse to just go to 1 or 2 force games a year.

Dropping prices wont solve the problem they need a proper stadium.
If we could magically have the new stadium (thats not gonna happen now) built ready for next year they would easily get crowds of 25-30thousand again.

Cant see it ever taking over the great AFL though.
If the idiots running this state would build a new, bigger stadium there would be crowds above 50000 for just about every game an come derby time crowds above 60000.
Only thing stopping Freo an eagles membership numbers increasing is the crappy old rundown oval there currently using.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back