Rules you would like to see implemented

Remove this Banner Ad

Id be curious on the impact of paying htb for any tackle.
Perhaps for a preseason then assess it for the following year.
Only ball up where ump determines the ball was held up by both players (which should be rare).

Goal if the ball scrapes the inside of the post
Play on if it hits the post and comes back in could be hectic but fun.

For something crazy, oppo touches the ball over the line between the goal posts = goal. Removes need for review, and encourages keeping the ball in play

Id throw the ball up at centre bounces, and bounce it for stoppages. The chaos of the bounce would better fit the congestion around the ground. A pure throw up for the ruck contest brings pure ruck craft back in.

Id be curious on the impact of paying htb for any tackle.
How about they just play htb when its there, or some sort of rule where the opposition get a free if you drop the ball in a tackle (even if it is knocked out by an opposition player,) or otherwise fail to handball or kick it.

Deliberate behind from 10 meters out is deliberate out of bounds and i miss 3rd man up as well

spinning out of tackles and doing this 360 all the time should be out lawed and like if you do it you will be pinged for holding the ball
Too many times we see it and like the tackler is like up for the MRO
Well simple get rid of the ball before the tackle simple
To many times they spin out and then release the ball or in some times tap the ball on
I thought this time last year they did out law it
Take on the tackle if you spin you will get pinned

A reward for effort finally.

Any tapping on is concidered a non disposal again a free kick awarded against.

Get rid of this 6-6-6 thing go back to the way it was.

Have an extended bench.

on the scoreboard flash up when its 2 mins left of the quarter.

Man on the mark stay put rule gone. The man on the mark can move sideways as long as its not forward of the mark but a step or 2 side ways is fine.

Have a timer between each goal and the umpire has to bounce it with in 1 minute of a goal scored and get back quick for the bounce again keeps players on thier toes and reset quicker.

Only bounce the ball centre at the start of each quarter then throw it up the rest of the time.

Deeper throw ins by umpires as well even throw it in front on so it takes the guess work out of it.
Reintroduce players being able to stand 5 metres away from player having shot at goal instead of the current 10 metres. It's way too easy for players to run around and snap a goal especially as players are snapping shots across their bodies more often than not nowadays. The players being further back have almost no chance of spoiling the shot at goal. Also, the direct shot from straight in front when marking ball in goalsquare. May as well just award 6 points whenever a player takes a mark in the goalsquare. At least when players were placed on an angle they had to use some effort/skill to convert.

I'd like to see having to bounce the ball every 15m taken out. Dunno if it would work but quick players would go on massive runs which would be exciting to watch.

cross-bars at the top of goal posts and point posts, with nets. Ball goes in the 'goal' net, it's a goal. Over the crossbar, no score. Simples.

I also like the multi-ball idea. One red, one blue. Each team has to score with the red ball at one end, and the blue ball at the other end (and obviously the ends are opposite for each team). Imagine BT trying to commentate that!

Didn’t they bring in that rule that if a player is swung 360 in a tackle without disposing of the ball it was HTB going back a few years? That interpretation seemed to disappear very quickly.

The issue with this is that some players have a reputation of breaking tackles easier, and so will be given extra time to spin out of a 360.

Umps more likely to give someone like Cripps or Bont the opportunity to swing 360 and break a tackle rather than a (comparatively) lesser known player.

I like the idea of a black net behind the goal and behind posts.

Like to see a laser on the top of the goal and behind post as well so that if the ball travels right over the post it can be called correctly ala Anthony rocca 2002 GF was a goal but the goal umpire who wasnt in the right position called it a behind even though was just on the goal side of the post above post height.

A goal Pies would have won the 2002 flag instead goes down the other end and Aka gets a goal and end of story.

Must have a laser beam.

I like the idea of an extra 6 points for any goal kicked out side the 50m arc.

Also a tad longer goal square as well by 1 extra metre.

The goalposts are heaps taller now anyway so the rocca incident wouldn't even be an issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t they bring in that rule that if a player is swung 360 in a tackle without disposing of the ball it was HTB going back a few years? That interpretation seemed to disappear very quickly.

Was that an official umpiring interpretation, or more of a commentator's collective view? I feel like it was the latter, but happy to be corrected.

Throw the ball front on at throw ins and like it isnt hard doing it backwards theres too much guesswork.

Just throw it in like they do in rugby union do it front on.

Flash up on the socre board when there is 2 mins left of the quarter would be good or even at the 15 min mark of each quarter.
Two things:
1) What guesswork? The boundary umpire throws the ball as far and high as they can towards the centre circle. It's up to the ruckmen to figure out where it lands and they are pretty good at it. The boundary umpire with their back to the ruckman makes it a fair contest, they don't know what is going on behind them.
2) Throwing it over your head gives you much more distance which reduced the chances of the ball getting knocked back over the boundary.

yeah i thought so too powerrrr.

Should be if you spin you get pinged.

Far too many times players like spin and drag themselves to the ground while the tackler holds on whats worse it looks like the tackler is a sling but it isnt the player tacklled forces himself to the ground.

This should always be holding the ball.

Also dropping the ball that too is holding the ball.

Any drop is.

A free kick is awarded for any lose ball as well caused by a tackle too.

Only way to dipsose of the ball is kick or handball only.

None of this dropping and tapping it on crap.

I agree with in the arcs have a last touch rule over the boundry line a free kick is awarded against the team who last touched the ball.

For the record folks im 45 years of age and my birthday is in june.
As long as the player makes a genuine attempt at disposal it is play on, that includes accidentally dropping it. It's not clear cut and can cause confusion, I agree, but it is a good common sense rule. If every drop is holding the ball then any league below the AFL would be an unwatchable mess with free kicks behind paid every 30 seconds.

Honestly 90% of the rules need to be removed, not even joking, basically every law introduced in the last 30 years, that includes rubbish like landing in the back and bumping as a player kicks

Really the only things that ought to be outlawed are holding, high tackles, trips, baseball slides, front on contact without touching the ball, as well as other obvious stuff

For htb, "prior opportunity" needs to be scrapped and we need to return to DROPPING the ball, if you're tackled and you dispose of it illegally it's a free kick no matter what.

Then there's the more complicated stuff like deliberate, rushed behinds and advantage which all need overhauls but can't be bothered getting into those.
Used to be right around this until someone rightly pointed out, people would just never try to dispose of it more regularly and let the tackle happen and therw would be 1 million ball-ups

I can not stand spinning out of tackles like anyone can do it spin and drop the ball should be pinged.

i was going to say something like this, maybe only being able to have 10 players from each side allowed in the 50m arcs.
Stops congestion and quadruple teaming players.

Whatever stops teams having all their players in one quarter half of the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back