Runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Was pretty blatant what he was doing, guard this space guard that space etc etc, not having a go at the Lions either as I'm sure every club does it but they are definately overstepping their marks IMO.

Nah, it's every team. Sit high behind the goals for a few games and watch how much they fill in space down the spine.

What's the problem? You can have players coaching other players despite it not being their role to do so, so why not the runners? (which you can argue is more of their role).

Was pretty blatant what he was doing, guard this space guard that space etc etc, not having a go at the Lions either as I'm sure every club does it but they are definately overstepping their marks IMO.

Pretty helpful for a Developing team. I suspect the experienced/well coached clubs probably don't need to utilise it as much with the messages being more direct and shorter.

From a purely selfish perspective, happy to see it continue for now.

What's the problem? You can have players coaching other players despite it not being their role to do so, so why not the runners? (which you can argue is more of their role).
Because it means they're on the field for large parts of games, some clubs use them to clog space as well.

Because it means they're on the field for large parts of games, some clubs use them to clog space as well.
Then why not specify that in your posts, because from how it reads; it just seems like you have a problem with them doing some coaching.

Runners being used to guard space has been discussed to death a million times before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There should be no role for runners in the modern game.
You should have enough rotations that the coach/assistants can pass on messages regularly.
Veteran/leadership players would also be directing those around them.
Their role is too clouded, and all too often they seem to just be taking up defensive space (particularly those who are former players).

I would get rid of them entirely.

If you want a comprimise - then maybe just allow them only after goals, and they have to start running off as soon as the ball is bounced - any runner still out there and not making a move for the boundary gives away a free kick (maybe after 1 warning per team).

There should be no role for runners in the modern game.
You should have enough rotations that the coach/assistants can pass on messages regularly.
Veteran/leadership players would also be directing those around them.
Their role is too clouded, and all too often they seem to just be taking up defensive space (particularly those who are former players).

I would get rid of them entirely.

If you want a comprimise - then maybe just allow them only after goals, and they have to start running off as soon as the ball is bounced - any runner still out there and not making a move for the boundary gives away a free kick (maybe after 1 warning per team).
Yep there's already enough non players on the ground, 3 field umpires, trainers, Chris Mayne, even Auskick doesn't allow onfield coaches FFS but it's alright at the elite level lol, ludicrous IMO.

Don't really get the clog space argument when it's all said and done. Do you seriously think the opposition won't kick it near a runner? What's the runner going to do?

Easily solved. Have the Video Umpire who really doesn’t do much during the game, keep an eye on the runners. If he sees anything untoward, or they stay on the field too long, dish out fines. Clubs will get the hint pretty quickly

Just watching a miked up Sauce Merrit at the Lions game, he wasn't passing on messages he was flat out coaching, this s**t needs to be hit on the head.

That's what a coach does - he coaches. Gives a message to the runner and he passes it on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back