Injury Russell your feathers - discuss all things high performance; injury lists, Marvel surface, curse from the gods and Andrew Russell

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep ok that’s enough.

Bye bye Martin, bye bye cunners, bye bye Marchy, bye bye Russell

Don’t care say what ya want, time to go all of em

That's why we chased Hayward. Plan B I guess.

Russell Martin Cunningham Marchy just walk them out the door now … literally costing us a shot at the flag this rubbish

Two players this week doing soft tissue injuries at training… Martin and okeefe

UNACCEPTBABLE!!!!
I’d walk Russell now if I was in charge .., Incompetent

Russell Martin Cunningham Marchy just walk them out the door now … literally costing us a shot at the flag this rubbish

Two players this week doing soft tissue injuries at training… Martin and okeefe

UNACCEPTBABLE!!!!
I’d walk Russell now if I was in charge .., Incompetent
Can’t sack him now unfortunately, hard to change the fitness program all together mid year. The saints did it last year, and they had a heap of soft tissue injuries over pre season

Wonder how much the heavy training load for opening round has contributed to this.

Raised my eyebrows at it at the time, just seemed totally unnecessary. A pre season, followed by a grueling 1st game and a week off is an athletes dream, why muck around with it in the lead up? Especially if it hasn’t been trialled in the AFL before.

Any word/quotes about other clubs doing this?

In all honesty it's probably gotten to the point where he needs to go just for the sake of the fans. I've never seen a fitness boss cop as much heat as Russell and for the most part I think it's primarily to do with the paper mache players on our list...
But it's time to move on, it's clear he isn't capable of getting these players consistently on the park and for everyone's sake it's time to give someone else a go.

Wonder how much the heavy training load for opening round has contributed to this.

Raised my eyebrows at it at the time, just seemed totally unnecessary. A pre season, followed by a grueling 1st game and a week off is an athletes dream, why muck around with it in the lead up? Especially if it hasn’t been trialled in the AFL before.

Any word/quotes about other clubs doing this?
Pies had a very heavy load coming into the season but also played within themselves and managed it all. So much so experts who even played in the league and had the same approach some seasons forgot that it was a possibility and called them washed. They're up and about now but the key to high loads coming into the season is to be happy with being less competitive early. Our game plan / attitude / whatever it is doesn't allow for anything less than 110%. So that mixed with high loads ... Perfect melting pot. Of course the more papery players can't get on the park. They're not being catered too. If we want to train prepare and play this way there'll be a lot of outside 'frailer' faster type talent that we simply won't be able to draft or if we do - keep on the park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies had a very heavy load coming into the season but also played within themselves and managed it all. So much so experts who even played in the league and had the same approach some seasons forgot that it was a possibility and called them washed. They're up and about now but the key to high loads coming into the season is to be happy with being less competitive early. Our game plan / attitude / whatever it is doesn't allow for anything less than 110%. So that mixed with high loads ... Perfect melting pot. Of course the more papery players can't get on the park. They're not being catered too. If we want to train prepare and play this way there'll be a lot of outside 'frailer' faster type talent that we simply won't be able to draft or if we do - keep on the park.

Pies game relies on manic pressure more than ours tbf.

But if they also went the same route, they backed themselves to drop some early games and make up for it later - fair enough, they're the reigning Premiers.

Were we good enough to flirt like that?

In all honesty it's probably gotten to the point where he needs to go just for the sake of the fans. I've never seen a fitness boss cop as much heat as Russell and for the most part I think it's primarily to do with the paper mache players on our list...
But it's time to move on, it's clear he isn't capable of getting these players consistently on the park and for everyone's sake it's time to give someone else a go.

Perhaps a better starting point was moving on some injury prone players last year, now, we might see bigger changes, Russell included

Pies game relies on manic pressure more than ours tbf.

But if they also went the same route, they backed themselves to drop some early games and make up for it later - fair enough, they're the reigning Premiers.

Were we good enough to flirt like that?

The Pies purposely dropped early games?

Yet they still have a longish injury list

Poor choice of words - were willing to risk losing early games*

They indeed have 14 on the injury list like us - however only 4 soft tissue. The rest are collision & concussion.

Unfortunately I agree with you. I was thinking worst case scenario we do a bit of a review thingy (PR nonsense) at the end of the year then "mutually agree to part ways". But ultimately the situation is getting worse by the week with ongoing mismanagement at the heart of it.

Fancy bringing 2 injury prone players (Cunners+Martin) back directly into the AFL team week #1 of their return. And then both of them break down within a week.

I mean what the hell is going on? Whoever is in charge get them out of their ASAP so they can cause no further damage.

The 2024 premiership tilt is slowly going up in flames.

7 of their injured players I've never heard of. But they do have 7 of their first 22 out.

Bombres absolutely loving life - maybe 3 injuries from their best 22.

Sydney missing 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back