Player Watch Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Has that Bruce Abernethy I'll cruise through the pre-season and turn it on when it counts vibe.

Yeah, this was a feature of his Hawthorn games too - he seemed to rise to a challenge, but turned off when given lesser (defensive/periphery) roles. He wanted to be the man, but wasn't big/tall (KPD) or mobile (midfield) enough with us.

Will no doubt fill out over time, but he's always going to be a tweener IMO, some matchups will suit, others won't. I don't see him moving 'inside' midfield to take use of his size there, but as a long-kicking flanker/wing with good aerial ability and great athleticism he will be a good player throughout.

584485-tlslargeportrait.jpg

Hey don't forget about me!

We've come a long way in a few short years by converting our defensive stocks from the likes of O'Shea, Toumpas, Trengove, Pittard and Impey into Hammer, Burton, Houston, Lienert and Watts. Massive upgrade in skills and decision-making coming out of defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't forget accurate, aggressive, medium length kicks as well. It's not all about long kicking, it's about smart kicking.

This is why I like Rocky. Bloke can barely kick it 50 metres but his vision and decision making in the corridor is excellent.

This is why I like Rocky. Bloke can barely kick it 50 metres but his vision and decision making in the corridor is excellent.
And the speed at which he makes decisions with the ball!

I swear as soon as he catches it he commits to kicking it, yet changes his target 3 or 4 times before the ball hits his boot.

It is one thing to have a great kick but yet another to have a game plan that allows you to use it. As I posted elsewhere I think the move of Bassett away from defensive Coach will assist these players, including Burton, to use their kicking skills to effect. I didn't notice any of that backward side ways movement when we were coming out of defence last Saturday. Burton and co were running in straight lines and kicking to targets down the ground rather than getting involved in chains of three metre give off hand balls to players who were flat footed. Also gone were those sideways and backward kicks that allowed the opposition time to flood down to our forward line. Maybe the new rules such as 6-6-6 and the kick out rule also had an effect, whatever it is I hope it lasts.

Liked Burton he will be OK provided we continue to use him properly.

Really liking this lad, I reckon he looks like a Crows player in some ways but having a player so reliable is refreshing. Him and Houston have both been absolutely wonderful so far this year.

I reckon we’ll see him up the ground a bit and dominate on a wing/forward flank sooner rather than later.

Really liking this lad, I reckon he looks like a Crows player in some ways but having a player so reliable is refreshing. Him and Houston have both been absolutely wonderful so far this year.

I reckon we’ll see him up the ground a bit and dominate on a wing/forward flank sooner rather than later.
It’s a shame that players as composed and reliable as Houston and Burton have Bonner and Howard around them. Get Hartlett or even Garner back there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back