Toast Ryan Gardner

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah I’d give Buzza another go. Or bring Abbott in for Buzza to ruck, and move Stanley to 2nd Fwd/Ruc. Gardner only kicked 1 goal last week in his first game as forward otherwise was very quiet so just needs to work on 2-3 good performances up forward in a row for mine before coming in. But there’s definitely a spot there for him with Esava’s injury. I wonder if we’ll get Gardner to do some rucking next week to see how he goes as a forward/ruck considering our 2nd Forward needs to help out in the ruck in the seniors at times.
I'd love to see that given our Ruck situation right now. Hopefully he can show some skill Rucking as well.

When was the last time a tall key forward kicked 6 in the VFL?
In fact when was the last time anyone kicked 6 in the two's?
Just shows what a big forward can do when he's dominant. Why worry about how he'll slot into defence (afl) when we might potentially have a big key forward who can kick a bag!
Quite happy to see his development as a key forward if he's getting results like this.
I remember Burbury coming straight into the VFL team after a long injury and kicking six on the wing!!
Last time I remember anyone kicking six in the 2's

That's it. I've had enough!

Get me Ryan Gardner!

glmphbifz6e8if.jpg

Someone was asking in the VFL thread if a player had ever moved from Key back to Key forward and been a success before. I was just reading on the main board that Nick Riewoldt apparently started his AFL career at CHB before being moved to CHF. I'm not sure what position he played as a junior but some hope yet perhaps for the Gardner switch.

For us? Not sure. Was Lonergan a defender before we moved him forward and then moved him back? Was Mooney ever a CHB for us before CHF? Stoneham?

In the AFL Neitz was smashing it at CHB before he had to go forward after Scwarz knees fell apart.

Someone was asking in the VFL thread if a player had ever moved from Key back to Key forward and been a success before. I was just reading on the main board that Nick Riewoldt apparently started his AFL career at CHB before being moved to CHF. I'm not sure what position he played as a junior but some hope yet perhaps for the Gardner switch.
Grant
Gehrig
Neitz
Pavlich

And many, many more.

Gehrig is an interesting one, I remember him being quick and agile at the Eagles, and strong and fairly bulky at the Saints. But Saints used him as a defender initially didn't they?
I'm pretty sure the G train was used at both clubs as a defender originally.

I know the modern AFL has gone away from the bullocking FF role but Gehrig could have played in any era IMO.

A freak athlete who even played on the wing for West Coast early on in his career.

For us? Not sure. Was Lonergan a defender before we moved him forward and then moved him back? Was Mooney ever a CHB for us before CHF? Stoneham?

In the AFL Neitz was smashing it at CHB before he had to go forward after Scwarz knees fell apart.

I am reasonably sure that Lonergan was originally a forward for Geelong.

Drafted as a forward ... then I think he was playing in the backline when he got his injury. Then forward post injury then FB.

And I will never forget his performance in the 2011 Grand Final. He was superb in defence.

And I will never forget his performance in the 2011 Grand Final. He was superb in defence.
Its an undervalued talented .. that defender is asked to do what Domsie was and succeed. Go on a player in a GF when he is hot and shut him. Just like Scarlett in 07 .. Lonergan winning the medal would not have been out of place. To often these people that give votes pick the low hanging fruit.. going the mid again. Jimmys game was worthy now doubt ..but im not even sure if Domsie got a vote.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t Tom McDonald from Melbourne start as a key defender and is now killing it as a forward?

If you are unaware of the context, Jake and Ryan Gardner had a little bet on how Ryan would perform as a forward..

The story here:

If only we knew it was that easy! Let’s just bet Gardner that he won’t kick 10 goals every week, that he won’t make his senior debut, that he won’t win the Coleman, and that he won’t win us the Grand Final.

Simples :)

If only we knew it was that easy! Let’s just bet Gardner that he won’t kick 10 goals every week, that he won’t make his senior debut, that he won’t win the Coleman, and that he won’t win us the Grand Final.

Simples :)
If someone was gonna pay for me to go to America for booting six goals I'd be kicking the Full Back square in the nuts at the start of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back