Podcast S34 EXPANSION DEBATE PODCAST

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm open to expansion, not vanity projects.
After asking my grandkids what this buzzphrase meant - I thought it would be fun to apply this term "vanity project" to as many teams as possible across the history of the league. For most I can't really tell, and if you can't really tell, then it's probably not a "vanity project".

Season 01 :
Seventh Wonders - interest response.
Team Pump - vanity project
Bigfooty Dragons - 50/50 interest response & vanity project
Team Kournikova - vanity project
Team Timmy - interest response
Dingoes - league at heart with a teensy weensy little bit of vanity project squeezed in by yours truly.

The next season saw the Hurricanes, the Shadows and I can't remember what else happened. Can't speak for the Hurricanes, but Darkness Eternal was forthright in riding the advantages offered by wearing vanity project on its sleeve.

Then I got bored.

After asking my grandkids what this buzzphrase meant - I thought it would be fun to apply this term "vanity project" to as many teams as possible across the history of the league. For most I can't really tell, and if you can't really tell, then it's probably not a "vanity project".

Season 01 :
Seventh Wonders - interest response.
Team Pump - vanity project
Bigfooty Dragons - 50/50 interest response & vanity project
Team Kournikova - vanity project
Team Timmy - interest response
Dingoes - league at heart with a teensy weensy little bit of vanity project squeezed in by yours truly.

The next season saw the Hurricanes, the Shadows and I can't remember what else happened. Can't speak for the Hurricanes, but Darkness Eternal was forthright in riding the advantages offered by wearing vanity project on its sleeve.

Then I got bored.
We're up to 12 teams now though Mobbs. It's not like there aren't opportunities for people to join and shape a team.

We're up to 12 teams now though Mobbs. It's not like there aren't opportunities for people to join and shape a team.
It's gonna sound like I am taking the piss but I honestly truly don't know what "opportunities for people to join and shape a team" means in this context.

It's gonna sound like I am taking the piss but I honestly truly don't know what "opportunities for people to join and shape a team" means in this context.
There's a been a few people rip on the Gumbies lately for example (we're fine btw). If we're so bad, why would you start a new team over helping us out? The Hawks rebranded. There will be other opportunities for active, enthusiastic posters to captain clubs.

I know you're in the 'expansion at all costs' boat but activity is an element that will be considered. Robbing Peter to pay Paul isn't going to get over the line.

There's a been a few people rip on the Gumbies lately for example (we're fine btw). If we're so bad, why would you start a new team over helping us out? The Hawks rebranded. There will be other opportunities for active, enthusiastic posters to captain clubs.

I know you're in the 'expansion at all costs' boat but activity is an element that will be considered. Robbing Peter to pay Paul isn't going to get over the line.

Feel free to just name me mate.

Ahh it's hard for me to get my head around this as I definitely never rip on the Gumbies - I'm perpetually opposing any criticism there. The Gumbies aren't bad. In fact, like all the teams in the league, they are overflowing. While match threads are reaching 1000 posts, there are too many active players in the teams.

I've never thought about 'opportunities for ... posters to captain clubs' much, but there'd be a good 30ish valid captain-material participants in the league right now. Probably more.

I definitely consider activity. There's way too much crammed into too few teams. Half our players keep leaving - or going quiet - because the odd post here and there can't get them out of a back pocket. Too few teams for too many people is driving away either player or their active status. They've got nothing to do!

I will repeat my tired cliche : If your defenders are posting, you've probably got too many actives. (exemption for people requesting defensive positions).

It's easy for me to say as my current team is extremely active so maybe we'll gut it at the end of the season and see if my stance bears out.

Ahh it's hard for me to get my head around this as I definitely never rip on the Gumbies - I'm perpetually opposing any criticism there. The Gumbies aren't bad. In fact, like all the teams in the league, they are overflowing. While match threads are reaching 1000 posts, there are too many active players in the teams.

I've never thought about 'opportunities for ... posters to captain clubs' much, but there'd be a good 30ish valid captain-material participants in the league right now. Probably more.

I definitely consider activity. There's way too much crammed into too few teams. Half our players keep leaving - or going quiet - because the odd post here and there can't get them out of a back pocket. Too few teams for too many people is driving away either player or their active status. They've got nothing to do!

I will repeat my tired cliche : If your defenders are posting, you've probably got too many actives. (exemption for people requesting defensive positions).

It's easy for me to say as my current team is extremely active so maybe we'll gut it at the end of the season and see if my stance bears out.
I appreciate your generousity but even I know the Gumbies' cup could use a top up

I agree re defenders and it stumps me that we've got people at two clubs willingly sitting on the sidelines this season. If we're to expand, this is where I'd expect the posters to come from. That said, many people complain about too many midfielders in the All-SFA and guess what's going to happen if add new teams...

As I said in my thread, expansion should ADD to the board. Not substitute, not shuffle the chairs. Add. I'll do my bit to help but that's not going to involve saying yes for the sake of saying yes.

I appreciate your generousity but even I know the Gumbies' cup could use a top up
Your list has been sensational imo.

I agree re defenders and it stumps me that we've got people at two clubs willingly sitting on the sidelines this season. If we're to expand, this is where I'd expect the posters to come from. That said, many people complain about too many midfielders in the All-SFA and guess what's going to happen if add new teams...
Agreed. Although on the second point, more teams dilutes a midfielder's chance to game the system through their positioning, through the odds.

As I said in my thread, expansion should ADD to the board. Not substitute, not shuffle the chairs. Add. I'll do my bit to help but that's not going to involve saying yes for the sake of saying yes.
I agree, kindah. In my opinion. expansion should add to the league. If it adds to the board by association, then that's cool too.
And also by my opinion, adding, substituting, shuffling, are all good. Otherwise there'd be no player movements between clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your list has been sensational imo.
Our core is excellent. The league is blind.

Agreed. Although on the second point, more teams dilutes a midfielder's chance to game the system through their positioning, through the odds.
Ah but two new teams means filling an additional 14 prime positions. Where do you they're coming from? Adding new teams will compound the All-SFA problem, not relieve it.

I agree, kindah. In my opinion. expansion should add to the league. If it adds to the board by association, then that's cool too.
And also by my opinion, adding, substituting, shuffling, are all good. Otherwise there'd be no player movements between clubs.
Absolutely. But we're not talking about replacing clubs. We're talking about adding them. The league could absolutely merge two clubs or fold one, bring a new one in and achieve much of what I'm expecting the hear over the next season and a bit. History has shown that we've had clubs leave and return as well (Roys, Swamprats, Bears). I have no doubt that a club could disappear for a period (eg. Hawks) and find their way back to the league eventually.

Our core is excellent. The league is blind.
People have slung crap at teams for years now. Fortunately nobody it could matter to actually cares.

Ah but two new teams means filling an additional 14 prime positions. Where do you they're coming from? Adding new teams will compound the All-SFA problem, not relieve it.
I dearly hope you are not saying an institution should allow it's structure to be governed by whatever keeps awards presentation workload to a minimum.

Absolutely. But we're not talking about replacing clubs. We're talking about adding them. The league could absolutely merge two clubs or fold one, bring a new one in and achieve much of what I'm expecting the hear over the next season and a bit. History has shown that we've had clubs leave and return as well (Roys, Swamprats, Bears). I have no doubt that a club could disappear for a period (eg. Hawks) and find their way back to the league eventually.
True, history has shown clubs successfully leave and return - 4 times in fact (Swamprats twice). History has also shown clubs generate and remain. And it's shown the other sequences, too. I just don't get the point of why this matters. Who cares? Adding teams to the league, literally - by the exact words in the text - adds to the league.

I don't know what that means but I am double vaccinated so I should be ok.
I know. I checked your status on the way in.

243494031_430584218636138_3975406071923842422_n.jpg

With all that being said, we can't lose track of the original venture by Tigerturbulance who is inviting opinionated parties to join him in a Podcast debate, which I reckon is a very cool idea!
What is a podcast?

I'm part of the expansion bid going up for S34 and the concept of robbing Peter to pay Paul is ridiculous Baz.

For a start:
the proposed bid will not be taking gumbie players from you and part of signing up to our team is they sign an affidavit saying they had no intention, nor would ever want to join the gumbies. If they say they wouldn't mind joining the gumbies we don't want them.

Secondly expansion bids didn't get up last time based on this sort of propaganda, here we are seasons down the track and the weaker clubs are still the weaker clubs. In fact what I saw was some teams get better because of the players the expansion teams brought to the SFA.

be like.jpg

I'm part of the expansion bid going up for S34 and the concept of robbing Peter to pay Paul is ridiculous Baz.

For a start:
the proposed bid will not be taking gumbie players from you and part of signing up to the our team is they sign an affidavit saying they had no intention, nor would ever want to join the gumbies. If they say they wouldn't mind joining the gumbies we don't want them.

Secondly expansion bids didn't get up last time based on this sort of propaganda, here we are seasons down the track and the weaker clubs are still the weaker clubs. In fact what I saw was some teams get better because of the players the expansion teams brought to the SFA.

You can't read either

Remove this Banner Ad

Back