SAAFL Disbanded teams

• Thread starter safooty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to dig this thread up after 7+ years, but was this project ever completed?

Was just reading a book called "Port Adelaide - Tales from a commodious Harbour" and it mentioned a few clubs;

Alberton United
Riverside
Queenstown Church of Christ F.C.
Port Presbyterian
Portland Imperial (it has a 1903 premiership photo of the team - wearing the classic PAFC guernsey)

Cheers

Just reading through the original posts in the thread, the user who started the thread doesn't have a username anymore but someone refered to him as safooty. He said he was trying to start up a website so maybe it is safooty.net.au which is a very popular website with both saafl teams and also all the other leagues around the state. If that was his project then he has done a very good job.

Some interesting information in here.

Just quickly, does anyone have any information on the Kaurna Eagles?

Namely, where the were based and why they are no longer around?[/quote]

I believe Kaurna played on the mawson lakes oval but folded a few years ago now (maybe 2006??) not sure why but they were losing by massive margins each week so probably just lost players.

I believe the Kaurna Eagles played in the CDFA. I can remember them in my first years playing at Central United Juniors and they were still around then. I don't think I ever saw them play but that was in 1988, and 99% sure they were playing out of Elizabeth High School, or an Oval next to Elizabeth High School. I tend to remember something near the RAFA club on Phillip Highway.

I believe they folded because of lack of interest, but not too long after the fold came the Adelaide Tigers. Adelaide Tigers played at Mawson Oval (think it was called Adelaide Teachers or something at that time), Regency Oval (Where the Brewery is now I think) and then finished at Railways, but can't remember if it was before AHOS or after. I know they were playing U17's there, I was playing a game for Elizabeth and watched one of the blokes get pole-axed into a car parked on the south western side of the oval.

I remember Blakeview, Elizabeth North, Salisbury Centrals.... I can't recall seeing them on this thread yet....

Can i get some help as to the team colours of a few disbanded SAAFL clubs.

these include

Adelaide High Old Scholars
Ethelton
Riverside
Alberton United
Campbelltown/Magill
Burnside/Kensington

There may be a few others to come later.

Steve.

Port Adelaide Presbyterian changed name to north haven football club.
Originally papfc played at almond tree flat reserve and had their club rooms at the old ici oval in peterhead, they then moved to largs north reserve, which belonged to the now disbanded taperoo football club.

ANZBank FC played in blue and white like NthMelbourne they played in the south parklands.

Also Glandore FC

I played for Glandore mainly "B's" and ironically my last ever game was against ANZ in the South parklands in which we drew. Wayne Johnston "The dominator" was the coach but I cannot find anything about him anywhere that he came to Glandore after Sturt sacked him..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back