Sam Jacobs Retire!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope the club works with Sauce to manage this carefully.

He's been an outstanding servant of the club, played some huge games and desperately unlucky not to be an AA ruckman.

Whether it be managing his injuries or whether it be recognition he has hit the wall, they must preserve his reputation and ensure he exits as a club great.

He's been an outstanding servant of the club, played some huge games and desperately unlucky not to be an AA ruckman.

Whether it be managing his injuries or whether it be recognition he has hit the wall, they must preserve his reputation and ensure he exits as a club great.
Sauce has bled blue, yellow and gold for nearly a decade and that wont be forgotten. But at the end of the day if its up to him he's absolutely playing on next season, hell Sauce would put his hand up if he was in a fricken wheelchair, that's just the kind of bloke he is. So if we are serious about moving on from him then it has to be from initiated by the club.

Personally I think if he is listed next season and toils away in the SANFL each week then he'll hurt his own reputation more then if the club told him he wont be required. I hated watching Scotty Thompson in that last year as a list filler. It put a real bitter finishing note on the career of a genuine club legend! Sauce isn't at Thommo's level within the club, but I still don't want to see that for him!

Some numb nut just starts a thread demanding a player like Jacobs retire as a personal message with no other comment or context.

Yeah I'd expect it about Mackay even though I find that disrespectful and cold as well, but Sam Jacobs? He's been a ******* good player for our club and one of the top three ruckman in the competition for six years, some of those years the best (regardless of AA selectors).

He's had a very ordinary season and I agree we need to get him right for next year or look at our options, but OP and any other dildo that forgets what he's done at our club, show the man some respect.

Some numb nut just starts a thread demanding a player like Jacobs retire as a personal message with no other comment or context.

Yeah I'd expect it about Mackay even though I find that disrespectful and cold as well, but Sam Jacobs? He's been a ******* good player for our club and one of the top three ruckman in the competition for six years, some of those years the best (regardless of AA selectors).

He's had a very ordinary season and I agree we need to get him right for next year or look at our options, but OP and any other dildo that forgets what he's done at our club, show the man some respect.
Good to see some actual respectful posts of a terrific servant of our club. Been some pathetic comments made on this thread by repeat offenders of posting rubbish, specifically on the first page.

Lycett having a very good month so far playing as the primary ruck, while still splitting a lot of time with Vardy. Still building too and looking better and better every game.

Also still clueless as to why so many around here don't rate him. Would be a big coup for us structurally if we were able to grab him (dont think it happens though).

The fact that so much of our gameplan revolves around him winning his 1 on 1 battles probably goes a long way to our success this year. Midfield stoppages all rely on him winning the tap to advantage, every single kickout of ours goes long and to the right and hopes he'll jag his 1 contested mark for the day. Watching some other teams on the weekend and it was like watching a different sport. Kick outs were going every which way, a few even went long and to the left to a leading player on their own which kickstarted a field-long transition. It was very refreshing to not be able to predict which 5m patch of grass the kickout would end up every single time.

Lycett having a very good month so far playing as the primary ruck, while still splitting a lot of time with Vardy. Still building too and looking better and better every game.

Also still clueless as to why so many around here don't rate him. Would be a big coup for us structurally if we were able to grab him (dont think it happens though).
I feel like he'd be a much better fit for Port than us and I'd be hesitant to get in a bidding war for him, especially if West Coast decides to try and force a trade.

No he won’t be retiring and in other good news he has selected himself for the 2019 season :rainbow:

tenor.gif

Sauce, he's been immobile this year. Slow in general running, but in play, just immobile. Can't seem to even bend over to try to get a ball off the ground.

Can't move sideways, looks like a lump of concrete. Is he done? The cliff he's fallen off has been huge. Is he like, really badly injured maybe?

It's hard to judge. In the past when he's been injured (ankle) and ROB covered for him over 2 games he came back 2 games earlier than necessary. This year he's been completely s**t, but there's been injuries underneath him that have removed the option of him having a rest. But given what has come before us, would he have wanted that rest? My guess is no. Sauce will play regardless of whether he's a liability or not. He's just the next selfish player in a long line of selfish players. We'll be better when he's gone, sadly, he's got a gold pass for 2019, that's the culture of our club. He can be as s**t as s**t, but he's not subject to dropping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Farq off. Sauce himself, despite struggling every other year, comes out with the, " I thrive on continuity and huge workload". He's the poster child for what is wrong with the selection culture of our club. And the simple reality that we have a ruckman that ends up in the goal square with JJ after a free kick/mark. Why this guy works that deep forward is one of life's great mysteries. But, he admits that he loves it which makes him as much a part of the problem that his coaches are. I don't think that our player culture has moved on from Thommo's famous words, "you always put your hand up for finals". There is no 'team first' culture, it's not us. It's all bullshit, we're a joke.

You can't blame a player for wanting to play. That's their job and reason for being at the club. 99% of players won't drop themselves unless they have a serious injury.
The coaches however have a job too. There's too much sentiment and not enough objectivity. They have to make the call on non-performing stalwarts and at good clubs that happens. Goddard's time at Essendon is up and rightly so, but he's a lot better than Thommo was in his final 2 years with us when he was wheel chairing from stoppage to stoppage. Jacobs should be depth next year not the 1st one picked, but they'll just keep rolling him out week after week until he drops. Its the tail wagging the dog.

Sauce has shown that he's still capable of some good games, mixed with some average games. To me, he's playing under some sort of injury, and if the club has any foresight, they should allow Sauce to rest every half a dozen games or so, to let Sauce get the maximum output he can. If he's still with us next year (likely), there's no way I can see him playing good in all 22 games of footy! We need to start prepping a new ruck to help give Sauce a genuine assist, and then perhaps take over the ruck the following 1-2 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back