Past Sam Naismith - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

r0_0_2864_1655_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Sam Naismith
An ACL rupture and a long list of complications wiped out Sam Naismith’s 2018 and 2019 seasons, fuelling the hunger of the chief Sydney Swans ruckman for a comeback 2020 campaign. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product is an excellent tap ruckman who’s shown promising glimpses since being drafted in November 2012, particularly as Sydney powered towards the 2016 Grand Final. The New South Welshman had always worn the number 35 before switching to the number 10 for season 2020 in search of a fresh start.

Sam Naismith
DOB: 16 July 1992
DEBUT: 2014
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2015 Rookie Elevation
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

Jordan Dawson talking about Sam's return on the weekend;

"We'll be up in the stands after the game and watching. It'll be awesome to see Sam back out there," Jordan Dawson told reporters on Thursday.

"He's had a tough couple of years, with the two knee reconstructions and family stuff.

"He's come back quicker than what we thought as well. It just shows how hard he works off the track and in the gym, in his rehab, to get back. It's very inspiring to see the way he's gone about it the last two years.”

One of the great things about sports clubs is that they can rally round a team mate that has, for whatever reason, been doing it a bit tough.

I remember when the players took off to Canberra to support AJ in his NEAFL return back in 2017.
They'll be pleased they only have to pop upstairs to support Sam.

Jordan Dawson talking about Sam's return on the weekend;

One of the great things about sports clubs is that they can rally round a team mate that has, for whatever reason, been doing it a bit tough.

I remember when the players took off to Canberra to support AJ in his NEAFL return back in 2017.
They'll be pleased they only have to pop upstairs to support Sam.
Thinking about AJ still makes me sad, all the ability in the world plus the nicest bloke you could ever wish to meet.....

With two completely f###ed knees.

Life can be cruel.

Any update on why he hasn't played the last 2 VFL games? A few rumours going around about his knee, concerning :(

Heard somewhere over the weekend from the club that it isn't anything serious, just getting used to playing again making him sore. Can't remember which press conference it was though

They said something similar in the commentary in the VFL too I think.

Heard somewhere over the weekend from the club that it isn't anything serious, just getting used to playing again making him sore. Can't remember which press conference it was though

That in itself is concerning.

His first ACL took two years to get over.

As long as he's getting paid peanuts I don't mind an overly cautious approach but he'll be lucky to play 50 games by retirement.

As long as he's getting paid peanuts I don't mind an overly cautious approach but he'll be lucky to play 50 games by retirement.

A true inspiration for the children.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horse was asked specifically about Naismith and he said he was going well, and this was the same day the VFL team was announced so I reckon it was an up to date opinion.

If he's being paid $100k which is basically AFL minimum wage, he's been paid $200k per game over the past 4 years. And people think Franklin is overpaid.

He's probably on a lot more than $100k.

If he's being paid $100k which is basically AFL minimum wage, he's been paid $200k per game over the past 4 years. And people think Franklin is overpaid.

He's probably on a lot more than $100k.
Given the salary cap has to be paid up to 95% and almost half the list don’t play seniors every week. There will be plenty of examples of players making a nice living without actually making the starting 22. Lewis Taylor is on reportedly $300k plus a year and after 12 rounds is yet to play this year (unless you count injury sub sitting on the pine as a game).

I guess when there are only (generously) 60 odd people who capable of rucking at AFL level, and given the amount of money floating round the industry, clubs will make a rational choice re keeping someone like Naismith on a list in the hope that he is healthy enough to play..

The amount of of people who act like their sports teams money is Thier own money has always bewildered me.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I guess when there are only (generously) 60 odd people who capable of rucking at AFL level, and given the amount of money floating round the industry, clubs will make a rational choice re keeping someone like Naismith on a list in the hope that he is healthy enough to play..

The amount of of people who act like their sports teams money is Thier own money has always bewildered me.

Naismith isn’t one of the 60, he never plays

Given the salary cap has to be paid up to 95% and almost half the list don’t play seniors every week.

95% is too high for the salary cap floor IMO, but that's another discussion...

You're absolutely right!

The club should devise some sort of scheme or 'membership' if fans really want to feel entitled to have a say on certain matters pertaining to the club. The members could even attend general meetings, let's say annually, to address new agenda and potentially ask questions of the board at the conclusion.

Jokes aside, we need available ruckmen and Naismith just does not meet the criteria. Hope is a currency that can't be banked when you've played 30 of a possible 160 or so games. Sinclair gets beaten up most weeks when stumping up in first grade but he's been incredibly durable for the club and performs his role to the best of his abilities. Would I rather Naismith than the likes of say, Zac Clarke on our books? Absolutely. But the price has to be right when you've averaged less than 5 games a season in your career.

What in saying is hindsight is 20/20.

The people making this decision didn't look at Naismith and say "20 games over 6 seasons is a good investment" both he and they have been unlucky with I jury, and they have lost.tjis gamble. Its bad luck bu not a bad decision.

He's been extended until the end of 2022. You think that is good decision making??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back