SANFL finals-week 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Petrie Dish said:
Just best player awards for the seniors and reserves games, hosted by Jars. Mainly just all the fans and the players having a beer together.

Hopefully they give Scotty Bamford an award too, for kicking one of the most amazing goals I have ever seen in footy. Being thrown out of bounds, he tried to centre it to the top of the square, hit the ball on the wrong point, and managed to get a checkside to bend back through from a literally imposssible angle. Right in front of the Grog Squad, too :D
At first I thought he miss kicked but looking at the replay I reckon he might have meant it.

sapaul said:
16.6-10.7.

Stokes has 7 for the Eagles.

three of them kicked whilst on one leg....the little champ

MIGHTY EAGLES - blaming the umps - try the helmeted number 15 for sturt - what is his nickname? madness perhaps

Eagles defence in the last quarter to keep sturt scoreless was superb.

should be a good match against the dogs next week

yob said:
Crowd was about 11,800.
And to think that two of the NRL finals in Sydney on the weekend got roughly only 18k each- when you take into account the population difference, I don't think it's a great deal of difference.

I think the sturt supporters blaming the umps is unreal and typical .Was sitting in the bradman stand in the first 1/4 sturt player 2 meteres over the boundry line no ump near no one to call outa bounds lucky he missed.
Anyway i think the eagles showed character coming back from the brink
Bad luck sturt but i think your coach mouthing off in saturdays paper didnt help your cause

By the way i think if u couldnt contain us sunday how the HELL will u stop norths runners and goalscorers lol
bye bye sturt me thinks

cheers
from woody oval

Eagles were terrible for three quarters with a couple of exceptions. We fumbled badly and couldn't find a target.

Sturt got reamed by the umps in the last no doubt but the last 15 minutes was just power footy by the Eagles as we won every ball out of the centre and the half back line was impassable.

The free and 100m penalty against Whiteman in the third quarter was the turning point. He had killed us all day prior to that.

Westbrook and Stokes in particular were good as was Cicolella.

Jars458 said:
Eagles were terrible for three quarters with a couple of exceptions. We fumbled badly and couldn't find a target.

Sturt got reamed by the umps in the last no doubt but the last 15 minutes was just power footy by the Eagles as we won every ball out of the centre and the half back line was impassable.

The free and 100m penalty against Whiteman in the third quarter was the turning point. He had killed us all day prior to that.

Westbrook and Stokes in particular were good as was Cicolella.

Good summary.

We can blame the umpires up to a point but it's always irked me watching players lose the plot after a couple of bad decisions. What happens after said decisions is in the players hands and heads.

The 100m against Whiteman was an abosolute joke, even an Eagles supporter who was watching the game at home said to me later that it's madness to give a player 50m for throwing down his mouthguard, then add insult to injury by giving him another. Back at the club, when asked what he said to the ump, Whiteman reckons he didn't say anything (not sure about that one!).

Another turning point was losing Cam Roberts to that sickening injury, Mattner was providing us a lot of forward movement and Sticks said he used Mattner to fill the gap that Roberts departure left.

Highlight of the day was Bamford's goal. Magnificent!

Poor Hueskes copped a bit from the crowd when he and Ilman were havinga stoush. Someone brought up old history and suggested he should call on Burgoyne to help him.

Saw Holly, Wedgie and Grogette among the Grog Squad as well - glad to see they were enjoying themselves. Well deserved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Docker_Brat said:
The 100m against Whiteman was an abosolute joke, even an Eagles supporter who was watching the game at home said to me later that it's madness to give a player 50m for throwing down his mouthguard, then add insult to injury by giving him another.
Actually DB, I thought it was two 25m penalties - but that knobhead Williams measured them out at least 35m. The second one was a joke, and demonstrates that Williams should not be a league umpire.

Agree, good summary by Eddie. I thought Eagles were definitely off the boil for the first half. Sturt could have had it won by 1/4 time if they'd applied themselves properly to the task.

Uncle Steve said:
Actually DB, I thought it was two 25m penalties - but that knobhead Williams measured them out at least 35m. The second one was a joke, and demonstrates that Williams should not be a league umpire.

Agree, good summary by Eddie. I thought Eagles were definitely off the boil for the first half. Sturt could have had it won by 1/4 time if they'd applied themselves properly to the task.

Is that what it was. Seemed like 100m from where we were.

I often worry that claims of umpire bias are just supporters being paranoid or looking for reasons why a teams loses.. but after watching that prat Williams in action its difficult not to think it.

totally agree with those comments, the umps killed us but it was the way the players reacted afterwards..we dropped our bundle nad let the eags get away run away with it. It was very disappointing. Why we went defensive it beyond me and not typical sturt or phillips style. Robo's injury must have clouded his judgement.

I just hope we can turn it around and get the win this week...all i wanted from our side during the finals was 1 victory, anything after that would have been a bonus, as i dont think our side is quite up there with the top 2. We played great footy for 3 qtrs but it isnt enough. We need to win this week. North will be tough to stop, Perrie up forward worked hard in their game yesterday so we need to stop him....Robo would have been perfect there :( but now we must pick a young fella from the ressies....maybe McLeay?

any chance begley might be released by the cows or is that a no go?

Good games yesterday, high standard and pretty quick pace. Cameron Roberts - The poor bastard, really feel sorry for him that broken arm is one of the most gruesome breaks Ive ever seen.

Luke Ivens must get drafted, the more I see him the more he reminds me of Nathan Burke. The heltmet, strong lil fella, quick, hard.

Thunderstruck said:
Luke Ivens must get drafted, the more I see him the more he reminds me of Nathan Burke. The heltmet, strong lil fella, quick, hard.

I have heard Freo are interested, and that doesn't surprise me as they really need a good, tough inside midfielder. The question marks are on his disposal, but that was spot on yesterday.

Uncle Steve said:

Actually it was two 50 metre penalties.... and when you start swearing at the umpire... whatelse is the umpire going to do. It was two 50s, and well given. This "knobhead" Richard Williams actually did the right thing!

Btw, how bad was Roberts injury! That was really sickening.

silky-smooth said:
Actually it was two 50 metre penalties.... and when you start swearing at the umpire... whatelse is the umpire going to do. It was two 50s, and well given. This "knobhead" Richard Williams actually did the right thing!
I had thought that 25 was to be paid in all cases except where harm was caused to the opponent (e.g. after a reportable offence). Regardless, neither distance looked like 50 or 25.

And for swearing at the umpire, Williams could have reported the bloke for misconduct or whatever. I don't reckon a distance penalty is warranted for backchatting an umpire.

Williams has a track record of getting on his high horse if he gets rubbed the wrong way by a player. Remember the "squealer" Bienke affair? Williams simply can't cut it. He has a thin skin and a Napoleon complex. Furthermore he doesn't have the mettle to stick to his guns, proven when he dropped charges against "squealer" after being stood over by Port Adelaide. He has no place umpiring at all, let alone a league final.

I was there in my usual Central District Supporter/North Adelaide Member (thanks to my boyfriend - a huge North Adelaide supporter, who wanted us to be able to sit together at games) and I must admit to being thrilled to see North win, once again some great performances from some of the North players I've really grown fond of - Sutherland and Ivens in particular, the amount of times Sutherland fearlessly got himself knocked over, I'm surprised he knows what day it is. Really good to see North turn around some very ordinary performances in the last few weeks. Would love to see them send Sturt out next week.

Stayed for the Sturt V Eagles game, a much "prettier" game...Stokes and Ciccolella were very impressive for the Eagles and I think highlighted that Sturt really struggle defensively, they are a beautiful team to watch because they are so attacking but it worked against them today.

Bit concerned about playing the Eagles next week - we've lost to them this year.

U DOGS

Uncle Steve said:
I had thought that 25 was to be paid in all cases except where harm was caused to the opponent (e.g. after a reportable offence). Regardless, neither distance looked like 50 or 25.

And for swearing at the umpire, Williams could have reported the bloke for misconduct or whatever. I don't reckon a distance penalty is warranted for backchatting an umpire.

Williams has a track record of getting on his high horse if he gets rubbed the wrong way by a player. Remember the "squealer" Bienke affair? Williams simply can't cut it. He has a thin skin and a Napoleon complex. Furthermore he doesn't have the mettle to stick to his guns, proven when he dropped charges against "squealer" after being stood over by Port Adelaide. He has no place umpiring at all, let alone a league final.

I agree with everything you say though I think the second one must have been 50 as he was more than 25 metres out and took him to the goal line. I think he had stopped on the mark before he went back further.

He is a shocking umpire no doubt. He just gets it wrong all the time. How he was ever in AFL is beyond me.

I watched the replay again monday night - "madness" whiteman actually had 3 "metreage penalties" paid against him. against two different players in the third quarter

The first was during the 3rd quarter on the outer side when mckenzie took a mark and whiteman did not let go, and did not come back on the mark. - 25mtr penalty and resulting shot on goal for a point.

So he already was "mad"

Then the brad williams holding on/in the back tackle on thwe members wing. First penalty looked around 35 metres!! R Williams then moved away and whiteman was standing the mark, then threw his dummy into the ground, 50mtr - R williams did a theatrical dummy throw demonstration as to what the penalty was for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back