Scheduling Lunacy

Remove this Banner Ad

And yet we have no warm up games in India and are rolling from a subcontinent tour straight into an Ashes tour with guess what? No warm up games, just an "intra club" game vs an Australia 1st vs 2nd XI.

We have probably our best side at achieving results in India and England in the last 15 years and we are going into each series like that....

And yet we have no warm up games in India and are rolling from a subcontinent tour straight into an Ashes tour with guess what? No warm up games, just an "intra club" game vs an Australia 1st vs 2nd XI.

We have probably our best side at achieving results in India and England in the last 15 years and we are going into each series like that....
We'll likely be playing the WTC final in England directly before the Ashes to be fair.

Most international teams have come to the conclusion tour games don't really help that much.

That's a deliberate strategy by Australia, Andrew McDonald has spoken about it.

They believe they can train and practice just as well at home as they would over there. Players are familiar with the conditions, most of them having played in India on multiple occasions.

And they will spend a shorter period out of the country, away from families. Apparently we usually start well and then the longer a tour goes, the worse we get.

Correct. On it's own it is does not. The schedule has to be fixed to allow for a three team tournament and in a way where the teams are picking their best players nearly all matches and none of the resting players bullshit that has happened in recent decade because there is so much cricket crammed in the crazy schedules. I'd rather see us play 20 ODI's in a calender year of which about 10 here each summer and 10 overseas. But a three team tournament when that is all balanced out is way better than just two nations playing a three or five match one day series.
So in 1989/90, we played in:

World Series Cup - at home, ten matches vs Pakistan and Sri Lanka
Nehru Cup - in India, five matches, vs India, England, Pakistan, West Indies and Sri Lanka
Rothmans Cup - in NZ, five matches vs NZ and India
Australasia Cup - in Sharjah, four matches vs NZ, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Pakistan.

That pretty much meets your criteria.

And all of it utterly meaningless.

At least the recent games vs NZ and Zimbabwe in FNQ counted as qualifiers for the next World Cup.

Australia play 13 Tests between those two series against the other 3 best sides in the World before going back and playing WI as its the start of a new FTP cycle. Its just happened that they played at the end of one cycle and the start of another.

It's also very possible that we lose to India and England so people might be content with winning again no matter the opposition.

Most likely be 3-4 changes to the team as well.

That's a deliberate strategy by Australia, Andrew McDonald has spoken about it.

They believe they can train and practice just as well at home as they would over there. Players are familiar with the conditions, most of them having played in India on multiple occasions.

And they will spend a shorter period out of the country, away from families. Apparently we usually start well and then the longer a tour goes, the worse we get.
I think I heard Ed Cowan speak on the ABC Grandstand cricket podcast about when they did the traditional approach ahead of the 2013 series in India. Apparently the pitches in the training nets were prepared to be nothing like what they experienced in the Tests.

So at least when you train at home you can control the conditions you're practicing under.

That's the point. Stop scheduling meaningless stuff and actually give us some real ODI series of three teams.
I can barely remember a meaningful series in nearly two decades.
The schedule lunancy is now hit the jackpot of lunancy of open the schedule for other sports and interests to fill people's attention and what they willing to spend money on.
They need to play 50 over games before test series, that way they are useful preparation for the test series. We used to do this on tours of England in the 80's and 90's.

They need to play 50 over games before test series, that way they are useful preparation for the test series. We used to do this on tours of England in the 80's and 90's.

There was some 50 over ODI games before the test series this summer but they were against England who weren't playing any tests here.

Year 1.
England - 5 Tests
Sri Lanka - 2 Tests

Year 2.
India - 4 Tests
NZ - 3 Tests

Year 3.
South Africa - 3 Tests
Pakistan - 2 Tests
West Indies - 2 Tests

Repeat.

Have it starting November and ending in late January/ early February.

Would be nice but it’ll never happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Year 1.
England - 5 Tests
Sri Lanka - 2 Tests

Year 2.
India - 4 Tests
NZ - 3 Tests

Year 3.
South Africa - 3 Tests
Pakistan - 2 Tests
West Indies - 2 Tests

Repeat.

Have it starting November and ending in late January/ early February.

Would be nice but it’ll never happen.
I believe there was one season where there was 7 Tests in the summer.
I only saw the last bits of last day of Melbourne Test in March.
I think the World Series Cricket summer was over which I think had 5 Supertests.
So when they were over I checked out the establishment cricket for the first time on ABC tv at the time.
I think it was because Imran Khan, that was in World Series Cricket was also able to play for the Pakistan Test team after the Aussie WSC international schedule. Asif Iqbal and Zaheer Abbas to.
Man, some cricket fans would have been spoilt that summer if they followed the Supertests in WSC and the establishments Tests too.
Basically a dozen Tests in the summer here.

That only makes sense if the 50 Over and Test teams are pretty much the same which isn't the case anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back