MRP / Trib. Scotty "Boo-urns" Thompson

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee, there are some nonsensical people on these boards.
1. The damage to Johnson was when he hit the ground not being hit by Thompson.
2. While I think Ziebell was harshly treated, the 2 cases are nothing alike. I was talking to a football official today and he said as soon as you go into a contest and elect to jump off the ground you leave yourself open for whatever happens and that's what happened with Ziebell. Scott Thompson did not leave the ground

I think that after the reaction to the 4 game suspension to Ziebell, the AFL and MRP have tweaked a bit around the edges

if that could happen to anyone, it would be Symes
He did manage to run in to N Riewoldt and break his own jaw last year due to a lack of awareness.

Stoked that Thompson's was thrown out, was sweating about it all day. Hopefully the AFL start to cotton on to the fact that some collisions are purely accidental, like Thommo's and Waters' last week.

Common sense and an understanding that some things are just unavoidable on a footy field has prevailed. Well done MRP on this occasion. Looking forward to Thommo ripping it up against the bombers this week.

1. The damage to Johnson was when he hit the ground not being hit by Thompson.
If this had gone to the tribunal, I hope we weren't planning on opening with this.

It's the same defence the Clokes came out with after the 2002 Prelim after Tyson Edwards' smack across the head
The only redeeming memory from that preliminary final loss was David Cloke being interviewed afterwards and trying to sell his son's case.

David Cloke: It just isn't fair.

Why isn't it fair?

David Cloke: ............ because it isn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only redeeming memory from that preliminary final loss was David Cloke being interviewed afterwards and trying to sell his son's case.

David Cloke: It just isn't fair.

Why isn't it fair?

David Cloke: ............ because it isn't.

What happens when you have been hit in the head with a Sherrin too many times.

North board is funny reading ATM.
Why funny?
seems like we are all pretty happy that Thompson got of.... im certainly happy... we just don't understand how JZ gets 4 and Thomo gets nothing... makes no sense that's all

Why funny?
seems like we are all pretty happy that Thompson got of.... im certainly happy... we just don't understand how JZ gets 4 and Thomo gets nothing... makes no sense that's all

The only difference i see is that JZ's feet left the ground and was in the air when he struck his opponent

That's how i read it anyway

Glad to see the MRP got something right this year.... But one right doesnt correct so many wrongs... Posted this on the Geelong thread too. Some people over there act as if Thommo should have the death penalty

1. At 0.24 - 0.25 Thompson is clearly running with his head turned to where the ball is.
2. At 0.25 you can clearly see Corey push Thompson in the back and Thompson immediately takes 3 small momentum killing steps to slow down from speed he is travelling due to a combination of the push and the speed he was running at before the push
3. Thompson looks at Johnson with a split second before the collision. He does not jump, does not raise the elbow, does not jump into the contact what so ever. It also looks like SJ was trying to slow down before contact too.
4. Thompsons arm raises after the collision as SJ bounces off him which is a natural reaction to contact.

Anyone who thinks that because person x was suspended for head high contact, person y must also be suspended are fools, there can be 100's of variables to make each collision individual. What about the accidental high contact in marking contests every game? This is no different - accidental, unavoidable, part of the game.

Im not defending the MRP as I think they have been close to useless virtually all year. Giving players reprimand points and suspensions for a 2 week period for sliding into the contest as footy players always have, only to change their mind a few weeks later. Aboriginal players immune to suspensions prior to Aboriginal Heritage round (or whatever it was) etc. But I think they got this one right.

IMO AFL players are fully aware of the type of sport they play and the risks involved. ALL players should have to sign some form of waver each season acknowledging they know the risks. Then, any injury caused by concussions in the years after football are just bad luck. Cant earn 300-400k a year for playing a contact sport, but sue for the resulting after affects of football. Thats called having your cake and eating it too. The same kind of waver is signed at paintball parks, white water rapid adventures, and other activities that hold risks. Then, any accidental KO's, injury from unavoidable football collisions etc shouldnt even be looked at by the MRP, and the only reportable offences would be striking, charging, intentionally tunnelling and sling tackles, things that are intended to cause damage.

A Pilchard might be a small insignificant fish, but that's a mighty significant post you've got there there Pilchard!! :thumbsu: :)

Couldn't agree more with your sentiments, both re the Thommo non-incident as well as your thoughts that players are well rewarded to take the risks and payments made post-retirement for consequential damage are a case of having your cake and eating it too.

Nice work!! :thumbsu:

Dumb Question could Symes be reported for sliding into his own team mate?
If not why not?

Very valid question in my opinion. If player safety is paramount, should it really matter who the victim is? Does the duty of care not exist in regards to your team mates too?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back