Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that's just a complete cop out from you. Baguley was good last week and hiding behind the 'no point' excuse is weak.

Baguley doesn't have a long term future in the team but hiding behind that just reeks of you only piping up when a game allows you to beat a drum you've already beat before. Why can't you just man up and admit he did play good football in the previous couple of weeks?

He was good, against Geelong.

He was average against GWS but because he's a little cult hero and he kicked two cheap goals out the back his performance is inflated.

Actually, * that. I'm not going to get drawn into some debate justifying the selection of a 31 year old
100 game player on the back of the first effective performance he's played in about 18 months. It's all good, we should bring Green back into the side and maybe go after Ballentyne at the end of the year...he's really annoying too.

Last edited:
it was actually notable for having a rare piece of usual information. they had 29 front half turn overs and only scored 3 behinds when they expect to score 6 or so goals from that
So it should've been a six goal loss, but Richmond's small defenders are exceptional..?

McGrath is already in the side. In which case, I assume you bring in Clarke for McGrath, and move McGrath forward?

Oh and I wasn't limiting it to the forwards. That's everyone not injured and not playing seniors under 193cm :$

Shuffle the team around to bring players in. Play Zaharakis as a small forward. There are plenty of different ways to do it.

So it should've been a six goal loss, but Richmond's small defenders are exceptional..?

it would seem pretty unlikely to me that you could put such a different outcome to the expected norm solely to the other team's skill. more likely is a mixture of the skill, poor execution and good old luck

(thishardly changes the outcome of a game, but since coach's press conferences are usually such a waste of time, it was to hear this)

He was average against GWS but because he's a little cult hero and he kicked two cheap goals out the back his performance is inflated.
Disagree, even without the goals he was exceptional against GWS.

I want the kids to play too but credit where it’s due.

it would seem pretty unlikely to me that you could put such a different outcome to the expected norm solely to the other team's skill. more likely is a mixture of the skill, poor execution and good old luck

(thishardly changes the outcome of a game, but since coach's press conferences are usually such a waste of time, it was to hear this)
Yeah after I posted I was thinking about my earlier comment about our forward group lacking on-field leadership at the moment... combination of that and Richmond's defence being very good, and then also both teams playing loose defenders and less forwards. Perfect storm really.

Actually, **** that. I'm not going to get drawn into some debate justifying the selection of a 31 year old
100 game player on the back of the first effective performance he's played in about 18 months. It's all good, we should bring Green back into the side and maybe go after Ballentyne at the end of the year...he's really annoying too.

LOL! Well done Brundog.

the good thing with Baguley is that he's been moved out and isn't occupying a particularly important spot that we need to be filled by someone with a long future. he's just in a spot that will get filled by some other "hard working blue collar type" that also probably isn't much chop but just tries so gosh hard

Nah you're just a stupid fanboy who wasn't called out because Baguley had played too well to allow you to be set straight. Don't you see.
Nothing wrong with Bruno’s opinion, I get it but I don’t agree. It’s important to play kids but also important to set standards and reward them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baguley is not our problem, he was one of the best at working hard to provide options when others weren’t.

Baguley is fine when the the play is in the forward 50 - But when he has to come up the field and be involved in our offensive transition he struggles, especially with decision-making.

it was actually notable for having a rare piece of usual information. they had 29 front half turn overs and only scored 3 behinds when they expect to score 6 or so goals from that

People bang on about effort, pressure, structures etc, but ultimately you must use the ball effectively - We were putrid tonight like a few games in 2018.

People bang on about effort, pressure, structures etc, but ultimately you must use the ball effectively - We were putrid tonight like a few games in 2018.
Absolutely, umpires aside, we butchered the ball so many times with long bombs to nowhere and short passes to outnumbered contests.

Was good in the conference, basically said the forwards pushing up wasn’t by instruction.
I am getting tired of him blaming the players. McKenna coping a roasting for coming out too fast from the backline in the Fremantle game (if I recall correctly). It was a clear warning sign that forwards are pushing too far into defence - and in our losses this has been a consistent problem. He has had 9 weeks to get that right. And yesterday he had 3 quarter/half time briefings to make the point. Stop blaming the players - take a good look at you and the coaches box.

They're essentially the latest buzz words which enable fans to cling to their useless favourites.

Pressure is not a reason to keep any player. It's a requirement for 22 players in each team.

But why? Its all about pressure around the contest that causes panic and the secondary possession which we aren't clean enough with.

They are always on your heels when we were receiving a handball to break away so by the time we had chance to compose and dispose we had to rush a disposal and their structure mopped it up.

Coaching staff knew this was happening from the first 10 minutes of the match and didn't adjust enough to counter it. We won clearances and contested ball but their structure kept on repelling it.

Zach Merretts token effort when one of the forwards waltzed around and snapped a goal just sums up the difference. Not once did we get an easy shot on goal.

They're not mutually exclusive.

Effort in attack with the right structure provides more free or clear players and easier targets to hit, improving the chance of an effective disposal.

Pressure on the opposition not just on the ball carrier but on those providing options for the ball carrier slows the opposition and makes the likelihood of their possession being effective lower.

But why? Its all about pressure around the contest that causes panic and the secondary possession which we aren't clean enough with.

They are always on your heels when we were receiving a handball to break away so by the time we had chance to compose and dispose we had to rush a disposal and their structure mopped it up.

Coaching staff knew this was happening from the first 10 minutes of the match and didn't adjust enough to counter it. We won clearances and contested ball but their structure kept on repelling it.

Zach Merretts token effort when one of the forwards waltzed around and snapped a goal just sums up the difference. Not once did we get an easy shot on goal.

There were a number of occasions when there were rushed kicks under pressure to clear the defensive 50, but at the same time the kicking skills into forward when under no pressure were disappointing - Go back to 2017 and the team was poor at kicking the ball from defensive fifty ( hence too many turnover scores ), yet the kicking in the forward was a high standard which resulted in higher scores - There is no co-incidence EFC have only scored 100 points on one occasion in 2018 - Which brings me to the second most disappointing aspect of the loss was defending Richmond's defensive transition - Now this is an underestimated aspect of Richmond's play, in that they are very efficient at breaking with speed and numbers from defence - The set up behind the ball to counter these raids were ineffective but at the same time better kicking into the forward 50 would mitigate this issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back