Coach Senior Coach: John Worsfold

Lel13

Debutant
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Getting a new coach wouldn’t necessarily net us that elusive 13th win. It may even push us back if a new coach chooses to readjust stuff and we go a few steps back to go forward. Not saying that’s a bad thing, so you’re right.

We have one of, if not, the most impatient supporter groups in the league.
We need to readjust things our game plan doesn't work when we play good it looks good and exciting and when we play bad we are just so far off the pace.
i know this year we had a cruel year with injuries and capability of getting our best side on the park and healthy. Collingwood did it last year and still managed to make a Grand Final and only be a kick away from winning it. Changes need to be made.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

vast

Hall of Famer
Sep 29, 2005
Nowhere
AFL Club
Essendon
thats a weird one - generally a game plan only changes with a regime

i cant recall a time a coach has drastically changed his teams game plan from year to year, maybe tweak, but not change. its like a dna thing.

with our run and gun sling game being so linked with our team and coach right now (because its so against the norm) any drastic change to it would immediatly have the media spys and footy world saying , woosh isnt coahing anymore, its one of the other boys. Cue the derailing media storm all year.

Id say you can look forward to another year of sling shot football now that john has been backed by the board.
Richmond did when the got rid of everyone but Dimma. Besides we are always going to be forced to play sling shot football as we dont have the players to win effective clearances.

Howard Moon

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
its kind of funny that the first teams eliminated from the finals get the blow torch on them much more than the teams that missed the finals. I understand there is more focus on them because they are the only 2 out, rather than one of ten the week before but in the end, they still made the finals overr the other stragglers. Why smash the 8th placed team in the media more than ones that finished 10th or 9th?

I didnt see no, 'do they need nuclear change' crap spoken about port or norf or hawthorn...

8th and out is the poisoned chalace

Howard Moon

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Richmond did when the got rid of everyone but Dimma. Besides we are always going to be forced to play sling shot football as we dont have the players to win effective clearances.
guess thats why you cant just change at the drop of a hat, there are many moving parts to a footy club, when you go 'all in' it takes more than a change in tactics for it to work. Clearly the sling game has with it a draft strategy of using those types of players, a training and fitness regime which 'supposedly' benefits quick outside play - ect ect

how does change happen? do you start drafing brutes then change to a contested style? weed out the flankers one by one?

too complicated for me.

Milanista28

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah but you can't exactly sack a bunch of players who have been mediocre.
We could've seen Myers wasn't the answer in 2018 and played Clarke an extra 10 games and he'd be better now, We could've debuted Mynott this year and he'd be more advanced for 2020, he played plenty of HF in the VFL this year we could've given him the games Baggers got.

Clarke was given games early before Draper was ever considered, Ridley banished early and never seen again.

People say you can't gift games to young players but other clubs do it all the time, especially Richmond and the kids generally perform, we instead rather play Hooker injured over giving BZT 8 games, Fantasia injured instead of giving Mynott a chance.

A lot of our players have been mediocre in parts this season because Worsfold and the other coaches allow them to be.

Maxabillions

The don
Mar 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
How much of our issues were due to a substandard fitness department? Shiel apparently noted that fitness training standards weren’t up to GWS when he started. We turned up not ready for the start of the season and looked cooked at various points throughout the season. Had to affect our tacking pressure and intensity. Maybe Crow was a scapegoat or maybe he was a big part of the issue. Guess we won’t know til round 1 next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheGreatBarryB

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Texans, Astros, Leeds
I think Xavier Campbell is tied to the fate of Woosha and that’s the main reason he’s being given another year.
I think it’s more that he did a reasonable job gives the circumstances and they’ve brought in Caracella to assist. Plus the fact he has a year left and should be given the chance.

Mr Mojo Risin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades, Kings
I think this is the right decision. Sometimes it takes more guts to hold firm than to react to external pressure.

Based on several things that has happened last and this year I get the feeling we’ve had a constant internal review:
- Neeld, Paul Corrigan and Harding moved on from the assistant coaching panel.
- Turk and Crow moved on from the fitness department.
- Rutten and Caracalla high profile assistants recruited.

Who knows if there’s more change to come. Retirements of Myers, Baguley, Dea and talk of Laverde being on the table.

The win-loss has been the same the past three years but I see a major improvement in team defence and our injury list has been shocking compared with 2017.

Right call IMO.

the PILL

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2007
VICTORIA
AFL Club
Essendon
They didn't really change it, they mastered it

That swarm game style was working well and gaining momentum with big scalps (They started to beat up on the invisible 3 peaters and hang with other top sides regularly) to which the commentary from the so called experts deemed the style unsustainable. They stumbled missing finals in the middle of it but if you followed their path closley enough Dimma staired straight down the barrel and said with the coaching personnel tweaks coming we'll make finals and everyone laughed. Not so funny now is it?

We are nothing like this, we are trying to be but our ingrained entitled ego isn't allowing us to be stripped back properly.

Bjchan13

Team Captain
Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I hope Caracella, Rutten and Wossha spend the pre-season only doing tackling lessons.
Basic skill execution is number 1 priority. Then ball movement with Blake Caracella, which includes decision making/taking the right option. Tackling third. Fixing those 3 things then makes Ruttens plan for team defence actually possible.

the PILL

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2007
VICTORIA
AFL Club
Essendon
If you zoom out we are failing at the most obvious point, the midfield. We have no bull extractor and we don't have defensive two way running within that midfield. Its almost like the pressure of it is secondary because of the allure of this halfback running is supposed to counter it. That in its self is an oxymoron because it surrenders field position...

We arnt "learning" at all, we're setting ourselves up.

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham, Bayern, Milan
I think this is the right decision. Sometimes it takes more guts to hold firm than to react to external pressure.

Based on several things that has happened last and this year I get the feeling we’ve had a constant internal review:
- Neeld, Paul Corrigan and Harding moved on from the assistant coaching panel.
- Turk and Crow moved on from the fitness department.
- Rutten and Caracalla high profile assistants recruited.

Who knows if there’s more change to come. Retirements of Myers, Baguley, Dea and talk of Laverde being on the table.

The win-loss has been the same the past three years but I see a major improvement in team defence and our injury list has been shocking compared with 2017.

Right call IMO.
Completely agree

New fitness team hopefully gives him a healthy list to work with
Some fresh blood in the assistant space to evolve the game plan

Hopefully someone gets involved in the list mgmt strategy (ideally the coaches with what they need rather the best available)

Howard Moon

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
i fear caracella is being raised into prophet status by ess fans - and into possible boots that no man can fill. Theres only one place for the poor bloke to fall to when we dont win a flag...

Bjchan13

Team Captain
Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
i fear caracella is being raised into prophet status by ess fans - and into possible boots that no man can fill. Theres only one place for the poor bloke to fall to when we dont win a flag...
I haven't read anything over the top to be honest. There is definitely excitement and rightly so. He was a smart footballer and is highly regarded as an assistant at richmond in charge of their ball movement. Dont think anyone has said he is a prophet that guarantees us a flag.

eth-dog

Premium Gold
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
The win-loss is a big misleading considering we were robbed by Jumpin Rampe and should probably have beaten Collingwood on ANZAC day.
We were ahead of Collingwood for 0% of the time on ANZAC Day. I'm sick of people blaming the umps for losing a game we never lead in.

Bunk Moreland

Hall of Famer
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting, we are equal 13th this year for clearances with 36.3 per game

Equal with... Collingwood.

Richmond are 18th with 34.

ant555

The Oracle
May 4, 2004
lurking in the shadows of the matrix
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers
I may have put myself on a ledge that has no return :$
Anyway there is still some water to go under the bridge. If the rumours that Fremantle really want him as director of coaching are true then he still may go and they will negotiate the exit so he can return home. He will not be sacked.
If he stays it will be as the mentor to Rutten withe Blake taking the senior assistant role. Will be interesting who they have in line to take over fitness.
I certainly agree with them doing something about their tackling but B brothers here from Richmond you would expect they would look at it.

ant555

The Oracle
May 4, 2004
lurking in the shadows of the matrix
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers
Interesting, we are equal 13th this year for clearances with 36.3 per game

Equal with... Collingwood.

Richmond are 18th with 34.
Highlights how important it is as to how you set up around the ground rather than just piling in after the footy. If you have your 2m 5m and 10m structures right you can negate the sides who do win a clearance.

Top Bottom