AFLW Shane Grimm appointed Head of AFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
IMG_4933.jpeg

ACCOMPLISHED football administrator Shane Grimm has been appointed Port Adelaide’s new Head of AFLW.

Grimm’s experience in developing young football talent spans more than two decades, through roles in coaching, talent development, recruiting and administration.

Joining Port Adelaide’s football department in 2016, he was brought in to oversee the SANFL program and establish the club’s Next Generation Academy.

Prior to this, Grimm was the general manager of football at Sturt for two seasons, helping guide their SANFL league team to a premiership in 2016.

He also served as the talent manager for state league development powerhouse Woodville-West Torrens between 2008 and 2015.

Holding a longstanding connection with Alberton, the Whyalla product played 27 SANFL games for Port Adelaide in the early 1990s, with both his father and grandfather also playing for the club.

General Manager – Football, Chris Davies congratulated Grimm on his appointment.

“We are very pleased to appoint Shane to this important role,” Davies said.

“Shane has been a huge asset to Port Adelaide since he joined us, and his strengths lie in his ability to lead people with purpose, and he’ll do this with both our staff and playing cohort.

“Having worked across the SANFL and Next Generation Academy, his connection to the club and football knowledge will be invaluable to our AFLW program.

“We are all committed to seeing our AFLW group achieve success and I know Shane will lead the program with great energy and expertise.”

Having led the club’s NGA alongside AFLW list manager Naomi Maidment, Grimm has an existing connection with players who have come through the program, including Lauren Young, Shineah Goody and Sachi Syme.

“I’m really happy to be involved in a developing program that is hungry for some success,” he said.

“I believe the experience I’ve gained in developing talent and running footy programs over the last 20 years will assist the growth of our AFLW program.

“I’ve loved Port Adelaide since I was a child. I want success for this group and hopefully my passion has a positive impact on players and staff within our AFLW program.

“It’s a great place to be, and now being part of the female program, I’m hoping to help it grow into a competition-leading team.”

Grimm looks forward to working alongside senior coach Lauren Arnell and her coaching panel, to support players to thrive and fulfil their on-field potential.

“I’ve known Lauren for a couple of years now and have had a lot of conversations with her,” he said.

“She understands the game very well and I’m hopeful that I can provide her and the rest of the coaching group with some support going forward, as well as the young, exciting, talented group of players we have, that are keen to improve in 2024.”

Port Adelaide’s AFLW group will return to pre-season training in early June, with the season once again to begin in the pre-AFL finals bye week.

He hasn't done a great job at all with building the SANFL contracted list (outside Nick Moore it's currently a bin fire), so a pretty underwhelming appointment really.

The SANFL list is under strict parameters, and then on top of that he was probably told to only recruit young players from SANFL ressies sides or ammos rather than experienced players. They want to find a diamond in the rough that’s draftable rather than bring older blokes in to win SANFL games.

He hasn't done a great job at all with building the SANFL contracted list (outside Nick Moore it's currently a bin fire), so a pretty underwhelming appointment really.

From all reports he's a good bloke and good administrator, but it's not about looking for, and appointing, the "best in class" at PAFC anymore. It's about appointing the best candidate who's already in the building.

This steady stream of internal promotions must be rewards for all the success the club has had...

So he was leading the NGA when it decided to pick up Martin Frederick but not his twin brother Michael?

Also Grand-father and Father played for the club... maybe we should just rename ourselves the Port Adelaide Nepos?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back