Shield Shield TOTY: Halfway point

Remove this Banner Ad

Well we're on break until Febuary and so as usual, I'll do what my TOTY is to this point. It's been a hard one so far (particularly finding a second opener) but what I have atm is:

1. Cameron Bancroft (6 matches, 9 innings', 512 runs, average 56.88, 2x 100, 3x 50). Been in imperious form, the leading run scorer, third best average of anyone with over 250 runs and has put himself front and centre to replace David Warner after this summer.
2. Joe Burns (6 matches, 11 innings', 437 runs, ave 43.7, 1x 100, 3x 50). Did I pigeonhole him here, despite him batting mostly at 3? Yes, but no other opener is averaging more than 36 so don't really deserve it at this point. Just churns out runs consistently. Excellent FC player.
3. Charlie Wakim (6 matches, 11 innings', 443 runs, ave 40.27, 2x 100, 1x 50). Wakim has shocked many by his form this year after averaging mid 20's but has really come on well, especially in unfriendly Tassie conditions.
4. Nathan McSweeney (6 matches, 12 innings', 501 runs, ave 45.54, 1x 100, 3x 50; 3 wickets, average 23, ER 2.65, SR 52). Shaping to be a career year for the redhead. He's stepped up his batting massively, been promoted to vice captain of South Australia and in reality has been the sticky tape to hold South Australia's season together with the bat, as well being a handy option with his offies.
5. Beau Webster (6 matches, 9 innings', 498 runs, ave 71.14, 1x 100, 5x 50; 13 wickets, ave 33.76, ER 2.99, SR 67.6). Webster has really stepped up in all forms the past two years and is putting himself in the conversation for white ball cricket at a minimum, a big reason as to why the Tigers are top.
6. Oliver Davies (3 matches, 5 innings', 343 runs, ave 85.75, 1x 100, 3x 50). It's ridiculous that we could even consider naming him here but he's been the catalyst for NSW turning their season around. Since coming in they've beaten the top 2 teams and put themselves firmly into the final conversation, which is just bizarre given how they started.
7. Jimmy Peirson (6 matches, 10 innings', 361 runs, ave 36.1, 1x 100, 2x 50; 27 dismissals (27/0), +, c). He's been the best keeper with the bat this year, and has the most dismissals to this point as well, and is captain due to being the only guy who's captained this season at this point.
8. Fergus O'Neill (5 matches, 9 innings', 239 runs, ave 59.75, 0x 100, 1x 50; 21 wickets, ave 17.57, ER 2.39, SR 44.4, 2x 5-for, 1x 10-for). Added his batting as he's really a bowling all rounder. Obviously that average is boosted by his 5 not outs but his bowling has been phenomenal, tight, and can bowl in very long spells too. Break out year for the 22 year old.
9. Nathan McAndrew (5 matches, 30 wickets, ave 19.2, ER 2.95, SR 38.9, 3x 5-fa, 1x 10-fa). McAndrew is having a career year for the South Australians, he's become extremely reliable with ball in hand. Great to see from the former New South Wales quick.
10. Lawrence Neil-Smith (6 matches, 25 wickets, ave 23.72, ER 3.32, SR 42.8, 1x 5-fa, 1x 10-fa). Recency bias given he took 10 wickets in the last game? Maybe, but that put him 3rd in the wickets list and he's stepped up to lead the Tassie attack really well too.
11. Chris Tremain (6 matches, 34 wickets, ave 15.2, ER 2.58, SR 35.2, 2x 5-fa, 0x 10-fa). Tremainis back to his fantastic best, the opening bowler terrorizing the top order of the oppositions and could be in line for a test birth again.

Breakdown of states:

3 players: Tas
2 players: Qld, NSW, SA
1 player: Vic, WA

Without the blurb:

Bancroft
Burns
Wakim
McSweeney
Webster
Davies
Peirson (+, c)
O'Neill
McAndrew
Neil-Smith
Tremain

Unlucky: Gabe Bell, Wes Agar, Usman Khawaja (couldn't justify the clear bottom side having 3 players in there)

Seems weird WA and Victoria, clear second and third placed teams, having only one representative each. Not saying there's a clear example of someone that's missed, but still weird.

Actually, strong case for Aaron Hardie, batting average of 45 and 11 wickets at 25. An upgrade on McSweeney perhaps.

Seems weird WA and Victoria, clear second and third placed teams, having only one representative each. Not saying there's a clear example of someone that's missed, but still weird.

Actually, strong case for Aaron Hardie, batting average of 45 and 11 wickets at 25. An upgrade on McSweeney perhaps.
If anyone misses for Hardie it would be Wakim. McSweeney is locked.

If anyone misses for Hardie it would be Wakim. McSweeney is locked.
Why would that be? They literally have the same batting average of 45 (albeit six games for McSweeney, four for Hardie), but Hardie has 11 wickets to three. Not saying you can't have both, but if McSweeney and Hardie are competing for an all-rounder's position, Hardie currently has the stats on his side.

Why would that be? They literally have the same batting average of 45 (albeit six games for McSweeney, four for Hardie), but Hardie has 11 wickets to three. Not saying you can't have both, but if McSweeney and Hardie are competing for an all-rounder's position, Hardie currently has the stats on his side.
McSweeney is in as a bat, not all rounder. He is second on runs. Has a better average than most.

I mentioned McSweeney's bowling as a bonus. He's made it as a bat. Hardie is really competing with Webster or Wakim (Webster as an all rounder, Wakim as the most vulnerable of the top 6), and Webster's average of 71 puts him ahead

Thought I'd just use this thread to comment on the round of games as a whole.

A really strange couple of days, hey? We had dozens of wickets falling on day 1 - now, by day 3, we've got 100's being racked up everywhere, and a couple of guys starting to really fill their boots.

Thought I'd just use this thread to comment on the round of games as a whole.

A really strange couple of days, hey? We had dozens of wickets falling on day 1 - now, by day 3, we've got 100's being racked up everywhere, and a couple of guys starting to really fill their boots.
My TOTY at this point is wide open. Apart from the keeping position, that's either Harper or Peirson.

I know it sounds ridiculous but how many runs does Maddo need to make the TOTY? 500?

My TOTY at this point is wide open. Apart from the keeping position, that's either Harper or Peirson.

I know it sounds ridiculous but how many runs does Maddo need to make the TOTY? 500?

I’m heavily biased, but depending on the balance of your team, Webster is just about first picked at 6 or 7. Bancroft would have to be a lock as well.

I’m heavily biased, but depending on the balance of your team, Webster is just about first picked at 6 or 7. Bancroft would have to be a lock as well.
Oh yeah, they're all but home. Wakim and Silk would need two bad games to miss as well.

Where I'm at right now, these players are virtually locked:

1. Bancroft
5. Davies
6. Webster
9. McAndrew
10. Tremain
11. Bell

2 is a debate between Whiteman and Maddinson (as weird as that sounds considering he's played 3 games. However he also has the equal most centuries this season).
3 and 4 could literally be anyone in the top 25 run scorers. We have 5 of the top 25 averaging 40+ and 7 averaging 35-39 this season
7 is Harper or Peirson, unless Doran makes 150+ in the last game.
8 is a debate between O'Neill, Rocchiccioli and Paris. The best game in the last round gets it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've gotta have a spinner in there. The Rocc should slot in with his 37 wickets.
I don't believe that. It should be the best 4 bowlers for the year. If that includes a spinner fine, but if not then no.

I don't believe that. It should be the best 4 bowlers for the year. If that includes a spinner fine, but if not then no.
Well, a bonus that he is fourth on the wicket-taking list as well ;). Means he qualifies and gives the team balance.

Hopefully Hardie is back and can press his case... averaging 41 and 11 wickets, nudging ahead of McSweeney.

Well, a bonus that he is fourth on the wicket-taking list as well ;). Means he qualifies and gives the team balance.

Hopefully Hardie is back and can press his case... averaging 41 and 11 wickets, nudging ahead of McSweeney.
Has a worse average, economy rate, strike rate, wickets/match and fewer 5-for's than O'Neill, Paris and Steketee. The wickets are one factor.

Yeah nah.

If you're picking the best side, you pick a spinner.
Rocco should be a lock.
If you're picking the best side for the year you pick the four best bowlers. If the four best bowlers are seamers, the four best are seamers.

Of the 14 players with 25 wickets or more he's 13th for average, 7th for economy rate, 13th for strike rate, equal 12th for five-fors, 10th for wickets/match.

He's had a good year but not a lock.

If you're picking the best side for the year you pick the four best bowlers. If the four best bowlers are seamers, the four best are seamers.

Of the 14 players with 25 wickets or more he's 13th for average, 7th for economy rate, 13th for strike rate, equal 12th for five-fors, 10th for wickets/match.

He's had a good year but not a lock.
Should be comparing him with other spinners, not quicks.

If you're just going to go off of stats, you might as well just pick the highest run scorers and not worry about opening batsmen either.

Should be comparing him with other spinners, not quicks.

If you're just going to go off of stats, you might as well just pick the highest run scorers and not worry about opening batsmen either.
I disagree. You pick the 6 best bats, the best keeper bat and the four best bowlers, regardless of how many are spinners.

It's more than just the most runs or wickets.

I disagree. You pick the 6 best bats, the best keeper bat and the four best bowlers, regardless of how many are spinners.

It's more than just the most runs or wickets.
If there aren't four quality bowlers, do you pick seven batters, a wicketkeeper and only three bowlers? You're already fitting the team around the accepted structure of a cricket team, so why not go that one step further and fit it into the accepted structure, which is having one spinner. I tend to agree these best-of teams need to follow the structure, which means there should be a spinner and Rocc should be compared to other spinners.

If there's an all-rounder picked, it makes the structure of the side even better.

If there aren't four quality bowlers, do you pick seven batters, a wicketkeeper and only three bowlers? You're already fitting the team around the accepted structure of a cricket team, so why not go that one step further and fit it into the accepted structure, which is having one spinner. I tend to agree these best-of teams need to follow the structure, which means there should be a spinner and Rocc should be compared to other spinners.

If there's an all-rounder picked, it makes the structure of the side even better.
The best player this season is an all rounder.

I disagree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back