Should we be renamed the Fremantle - Walyalup Dockers?

Remove this Banner Ad

In the same vein that New Zealand - Aotearoa uses both names consistently, not just occasionally - should we, with our history of indigenous representation at AFL level, take the lead in the AFL and permanently rename our club the Fremantle - Walyalup Dockers?
I think it represents the clubs locale better tbh. Encompasses
The whole area, as opposed to one suburb.

I think it represents the clubs locale better tbh. Encompasses
The whole area, as opposed to one suburb.

Not being from Fremantle, I’ve never had my support of the team based on the suburb. I understand it is important to some though.

However I don’t see how including Walyalup in our name lessens the brand or changes this though - it simply makes the club more supportive and inclusive to our supporter base.

I agree with this.

There will be some push back by some groups of supporters but they can support another club if they don't like it.
That's how I felt about supporters who opposed the Woodside sponsorship. But this is the name of the actual club, there is a far more nuanced argument to be had on that.

Not going to happen anyway.

I am a bit torn. In some ways renaming a club could be seen as tokenism, but on the other hand I am a big believer and supporter of dual naming of things that have a specific Aboriginal name. I probably would apply dual naming to landmarks, places etc, but no necessarily to clubs.
If the TO's and the club all got together and they decided to rename, I wouldnt be opposed to it.......Still be my club :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am a bit torn. In some ways renaming a club could be seen as tokenism, but on the other hand I am a big believer and supporter of dual naming of things that have a specific Aboriginal name. I probably would apply dual naming to landmarks, places etc, but no necessarily to clubs.
If the TO's and the club all got together and they decided to rename, I wouldnt be opposed to it.......Still be my club :)

The football club has embraced indigenous culture which I really respect.

I like the duel name it displays who we are as a club. Why just be Walyalup for two weeks? I actually find that more tokenistic.

The indigenous people I know well think the Walyalup name is silly.

I don't want it changed. The indigenous round is enough.

The indigenous people I know love the name. From friends and family.

What makes it only ok for two weeks?

Sure and the one's I know don't like it at all.

We are the Fremantle Football Club. An area of incredibly diverse backgrounds and full of immigrants and indigenous people. Both can be celebrated within the name Fremantle. We have a history, I want to win a flag or five as Fremantle.

Sure and the one's I know don't like it at all.

We are the Fremantle Football Club. An area of incredibly diverse backgrounds and full of immigrants and indigenous people. Both can be celebrated within the name Fremantle. We have a history, I want to win a flag or five as Fremantle.

The same ones that don't like you. You mentioned in another thread that you are subjected to bullying from indigenous people.

We are the Fremantle Football Club that doesn't mean we can't have a duel name. In fact we technically do as we are recognised as Walyalup. The wheels are already in motion.

The same ones that don't like you. You mentioned in another thread that you are subjected to bullying from indigenous people.

We are the Fremantle Football Club that doesn't mean we can't have a duel name. In fact we technically do as we are recognised as Walyalup. The wheels are already in motion.

No not the same one's at all. Most people that went to Hamilton High had some run ins, in the same thread I also said I don't see myself as a victim. And I am not the one who has brought it up multiple times or in another thread.

I hope we don't change it. You hope we do. These can both be valid and perfectly fine stances.

Not being from Fremantle, I’ve never had my support of the team based on the suburb. I understand it is important to some though.

However I don’t see how including Walyalup in our name lessens the brand or changes this though - it simply makes the club more supportive and inclusive to our supporter base.
Without being political, I would say many would not agree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back