Tell me why we shouldn't be expecting to make Top 4 this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe you havent been around for our full 28 yr history?

The problem here is aiming big, predicting big and having the club rollout positive spin is the essence of being a Dockers Supporter. Every year we go through this, and ultimately we're poo.

In the last several years i've run out of positive tickets. 2022 was a nice surprise, then last year we were back to the ol, get our hopes up, promise heaps, deliver nothing. I aint got the energy left anymore to be Mr Positive with our club.

History would tell us we're not going far. Aiming low and being overjoyed to finish high is much more satisfying than the other way around.
Wc are needing fans like you!🤪

SEN had the over/under line for us at 9.5 wins in their discussion - yeah, I know it’s Kane and Kingy, and their analysis wasn’t great - but I think somewhere around there is a realistic expectation.

injuries will probably then determine which side we land on. Good injury run and I‘m expecting 11-12 wins.

I‘d be over the moon if we got to 13 wins from 23 games. Definitely disappointed if we finish on 9 or less.
no way, we managed 10 wins after losing a hell of a lot of experience, as an already relatively inexperienced side, as well as introducing jackson to the team, pearce having an absolute shocker of a year and having to rely on a (extremely good) 19 year old KPF, in retrospect, pulling off 10 wins is actually pretty impressive imo

well be better next year in my mind no doubt

Mate I've been a fan since day dot, I'm a 20 plus year member. I just can't stand overly negative Freo fans, I'm surrounded by them at the games and they actively ruin the GameDay experience. We literally have fans whinging when we're winning, it's insufferable and ridiculously unnecessary
Yep foundation member here too, travelled the whole country watching the team. Used to be extremely positive this time of year but have run out of energy for that. I still support hard at games, but this time of year talk means nothing.

Last year seems to have broken quite a few people. I'm a bit more circumspect about it - bullish about this year, last year felt like a step back to go forward which is super common in sport, particularly AFL for some reason

Last year seems to have broken quite a few people. I'm a bit more circumspect about it - bullish about this year, last year felt like a step back to go forward which is super common in sport, particularly AFL for some reason
Very true - the "Fremantled" pessimist in me though will say we've taken far too many steps back over the years without ever going forward!

Expectations are such a strong psychological thing.

I expected us to go backwards last year, not quite as much as we did, but a dip was what I voted on.
Many people expected a linear improvement which didn't happen and I imagine is a source of a lot of the angst.

Stepping back we won 10 games which really isn't that bad, but we lacked consistency and there were some rubbish performances, particularly at home which hurt even more (* you Carlton).
If we can pull it back together this year then hopefully we continue on the trajectory I hoped (expected?) where we actually push for top 4 this year even if we don't quite get there.

If we regress or stagnate like last year then I don't see how Longmuir would be extended, and I don't have strong feelings about him as a coach one way or another.

Agree 100% our midfield was our issue last year. Unorganized, dysfunctional and as a result quite often murdered at clearances. I think the loss of Mundy hurt way more than anybody anticipated. I see Fyfe’s biggest role this year as marshaling the other players at stoppage.

Our defense as a collective is very good and we have a triple threat of Amiss, Jackson and Treacy/Tabs up forward. I know we lack an A grade small forward but I’m all in on Cooper Simpson and think he could impact immediately.

We are closer than a lot of people realise.
Absolutely. Not enough commentary pundits looked at the middle drop off from the Bulldogs final the year before. Mundy retired, Fyfe wasn’t fit, Brodie fell off a bit of a cliff, O’Meara wasn’t a thing and Brayshaw was def carrying a niggle. Lyon and Clarkson made AB’s life hell in those first two games. Serong had the world on his shoulders.

This is an interesting debate, I am not sure top 4 is achievable this year but last year the competition was so even that the difference between 5th (Carlton) and 14th (Freo) was 3.5 wins.
We lost 2 games by a combined 4 points (NM 1 point, BRI 3 points) coincidentally we play those two teams in the first two rounds. If we win both those games we are halfway to making up the difference between 14th and 5th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne 2021 GF, 102 games apiece.
Average GF winner over 2 decades according to Pierik at The Age, 126 matches.
Suggesting we could/should be opening the window this year...for 2025.

How about, in 2024...
Should make Finals...
Could go top four?

Early indicators...
Win first two rounds!
Good starts!

Need to win the Injury Lotto and keep our best on the park.

YOKAI!
Tracking well...
Damn injury lotto!
YOKAI!

it always comes down to injuries. Didn't Richmond have a lot of carnage in early 2017, then got back some superstars md-season, before going on to win the flag?

Yep foundation member here too, travelled the whole country watching the team. Used to be extremely positive this time of year but have run out of energy for that. I still support hard at games, but this time of year talk means nothing.
Yes Quay Club member here. So long ago 30 yrs. Been a Fremantle boy since i was able to cheer the old Red and White South Fremantle. Grew up driving the streets of Fremantle not Perth. It is in the blood.

But being a Realist I understand that we won't win every game we play, but I HOPE we DO. I HOPE we win GF every year, I hope we get a FF who kicks 100 Goals. Yes, a little bit too optimistic.

But as a realist i don't EXPECT the boys to beat the tops teams. But as last weekend showed, we can beat them. IT is great to win a game you didn't expect to win.
But it is soul destroying to lose games like North Melbourne last year. We need to learn from that, and i know the coach will do all he can to ensure we get over the injuries and motivate the players. So, let's HOPE we win the game we should win and continue winning games we don't expect to win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back