Jordan Clark - 23 years, 79 games
Heath Chapman - 22 years, 26 games
Neil Wagner - 26 years, 28 games

Rotating through -

Brandon Walker - 21 years 49 games
Ethan Hughes - 29 years, 101 games
Oscar McDonald - 27 years, 86 games
Ollie Murphy - debutant

This group is anchored by senior, experienced players who have played a lot of footy together, solid mature age recruits filling in the gaps, while the youngest players in Chapman and Walker have already played a good amount of footy and shown tremendous talent in their roles. Our backline has been the cornerstone of the team for years, and reclaimed their trademark in the backend of 2023 after a shaky start. There is no reason not to think they will be a rock for us again.

Midfield/Ruck -

Sean Darcy - 25 years, 98 games
Luke Jackson (R/F) - 22 years, 75 games
Andrew Brayshaw - 24 years, 123 games
Caleb Serong - 23 years, 80 games
Hayden Young - 22 years, 57 games
Nathan Fyfe - 32 years, 218 games
Jaeger O/Meara - 29 years, 164 games

Rotating through/wings -

Will Brodie - 25 years, 54 games
James Aish - 28 years, 163 games
Matt Johnson - 20 years, 18 games
Neil Erasmus - 20 years, 19 games
Nathan O'Driscoll - 21 years, 22 games
Jeremy Sharp- 22 years, 23 games
Cooper Simpson - debutant

The core of this group is absolutely premiership ready. This group is made up of star young players who are now emerging into the primes of their careers between the 75-150 games mark. A superstar ruck duo, both of whom are in AA calculations when healthy, hitting down to an AA duo, with the recently repositioned Hayden Young who could be a better pure mid than them both. Anchoring the group are strong big-bodied veterans, with our injury prone dual Brownlow medalist being a wildcard of sorts due to his injury status. With or without Fyfe I would say this is a prime midfield group but a properly fit and healthy Fyfe adds to a tantalizing mix.
On the fringes are highly talented youngsters spearheaded by the classy Matt Johnson and desperate to prove himself Neil Erasmus, but due to the depth we have in there they are the cream not the cake.

Forwards

Matt Taberner - 30 years, 120 games
Jye Amiss - 20 years, 25 games
Michael Walters - 33 years, 222 games
Sam Sturt - 23 years, 18 games
Sam Switkowski - 27 years, 68 games
Michael Frederick - 23 years, 58 games

Rotating through -

Bailey Banfield - 25 years, 75 games
Josh Treacy - 21 years, 36 games
Tom Emmett - 22 years, 2 games
Jack Delean - 18 years, debutant

Whilst the biggest mixed bag of all our positions, our forwardline is still anchored by experienced heads (Tabs, Walters), with now games-experienced senior players (Switta, Banfield). The fact that the most exciting and talented of our forwards (bar Sonny) come from the youngest group (Amiss, Jackson, Treacy, Sturt) is only a positive for the future of the forwardline but surrounded by experience right now, and with the supply they should be getting from an elite midfield group, they have the tools to perform in 2024.

The external perception of Fremantle in 2024 is off. Coming off a bad year, people will continue to expect you to be bad. Richmond were expected to be bottom 4 in 2017 coming off 2016, but people didn't take into account where that list was really at. And there are many more examples where that came from.

Assuming Justin Longmuir is a good coach and the right man for us, there is no reason not to expect big things from him to lead a core group of players who are either in their prime or entering their prime, and supported by a smattering of extremely talented youngsters. Our list is now in the space where rather than relying on our 18-21 year olds for core performance, as rebuilding teams do, they are now the cherry on top, as is usually the case for the best teams in the comp. This Fremantle team is actually driven by a core of 23 - 27 year olds who have played a lot of footy together and built chemistry together over a number of years.

So I don't see fighting for the 8 and finishing 10th as a good year, in fact I don't see scraping into the 8 and getting blasted out in the first week of finals as a good year. This team has the capacity to be competing at the top end. If we struggle again in 2024, then we do not have the right people in charge of Fremantle and we will be wasting a prime opportunity.

‘Between Rounds 20-23 last year, Fremantle ranked first in the competition for points against and second for both opposition points from turnover and opposition defensive 50s to inside 50 – sitting at a remarkably low 17 per cent for that stat’.

I’m not sure how much the West Coast game influenced those numbers but that stretch included games against Brisbane and Port, as well as Hawthorn at the MCG.

My main takeaway from this is that Hayden Young has already transformed our midfield. I’m bullish we can contend for top 4 this year and he will win our B&F.

Best 22 breakdown:

Defenders -

Alex Pearce (C) - 28 years, 108 games
Luke Ryan - 28 years, 132 games
Brennan Cox - 25 years, 102 games

Rotating through -

Ollie Murphy - debutant

This group is anchored by senior, experienced players who have played a lot of footy together, solid mature age recruits filling in the gaps, while the youngest players in Chapman and Walker have already played a good amount of footy and shown tremendous talent in their roles. Our backline has been the cornerstone of the team for years, and reclaimed their trademark in the backend of 2023 after a shaky start. There is no reason not to think they will be a rock for us again.

Midfield/Ruck -

Rotating through/wings -

The core of this group is absolutely premiership ready. This group is made up of star young players who are now emerging into the primes of their careers between the 75-150 games mark. A superstar ruck duo, both of whom are in AA calculations when healthy, hitting down to an AA duo, with the recently repositioned Hayden Young who could be a better pure mid than them both. Anchoring the group are strong big-bodied veterans, with our injury prone dual Brownlow medalist being a wildcard of sorts due to his injury status. With or without Fyfe I would say this is a prime midfield group but a properly fit and healthy Fyfe adds to a tantalizing mix.
On the fringes are highly talented youngsters spearheaded by the classy Matt Johnson and desperate to prove himself Neil Erasmus, but due to the depth we have in there they are the cream not the cake.

Forwards

Rotating through -

Whilst the biggest mixed bag of all our positions, our forwardline is still anchored by experienced heads (Tabs, Walters), with now games-experienced senior players (Switta, Banfield). The fact that the most exciting and talented of our forwards (bar Sonny) come from the youngest group (Amiss, Jackson, Treacy, Sturt) is only a positive for the future of the forwardline but surrounded by experience right now, and with the supply they should be getting from an elite midfield group, they have the tools to perform in 2024.

The external perception of Fremantle in 2024 is off. Coming off a bad year, people will continue to expect you to be bad. Richmond were expected to be bottom 4 in 2017 coming off 2016, but people didn't take into account where that list was really at. And there are many more examples where that came from.

Assuming Justin Longmuir is a good coach and the right man for us, there is no reason not to expect big things from him to lead a core group of players who are either in their prime or entering their prime, and supported by a smattering of extremely talented youngsters. Our list is now in the space where rather than relying on our 18-21 year olds for core performance, as rebuilding teams do, they are now the cherry on top, as is usually the case for the best teams in the comp. This Fremantle team is actually driven by a core of 23 - 27 year olds who have played a lot of footy together and built chemistry together over a number of years.

So I don't see fighting for the 8 and finishing 10th as a good year, in fact I don't see scraping into the 8 and getting blasted out in the first week of finals as a good year. This team has the capacity to be competing at the top end. If we struggle again in 2024, then we do not have the right people in charge of Fremantle and we will be wasting a prime opportunity.
I think you are sort of correct but a year too soon.
Tigers chased Prestia and Nankervis for 2017.
We have 3 first round picks this year to fill in the holes.
2025 and definitely top 4 should be on the cards.
That and maybe another assistant coach, etc to add to the mix.

Top 4 would be an exceptional season. To answer the question "why we shouldn't be expecting to make the top 4 this year?" I think we need to resolve the following issues to achieve anything like a top 4 finish.

We need to win more home games while maintaining our quite reasonable away form.

We need to find a way to avoid our slow starts in games. For a lowish scoring side like us we can't afford to give our opponents a head start while we work our way into the contest.

We need to score more goals.

We need Walters to stay fit.

We need a few of our younger players to take the next step up to A graders. Matt Johnson is the one I think will take a big step up this season.

It will be a bonus if Fyfe can have a decent season. It will also be a bonus if some of the draftees can force their way into the team.

Top 4 is possible providing we improve quite a bit in the areas highlighted above.

The original post is good and exactly the reason why JL is under pressure this year. Another 13th or lower finish with a list profile like this is not acceptable. Serong and Brayshaw are mature AA players now and no longer inconsistent kids. It’s not unrealistic to say there are 8 players on our list that could be realistic AA contenders in 2024.
Serong
Brayshaw
Young
Darcy
Cox
Jackson
Ryan
And at a push, if he kicked close to 50 goals… Amiss.
Of course they won’t all be. But 2 or 3 could this year in a good year for us.

I don’t know if we are quite top 4 level yet, (have doubts around our small forwards) but I do believe we should be sitting in the 8 all year long.
Can the coaching group get the most out of this collection of talent? That’s the million dollar question.

I think you are sort of correct but a year too soon.
Tigers chased Prestia and Nankervis for 2017.
We have 3 first round picks this year to fill in the holes.
2025 and definitely top 4 should be on the cards.
That and maybe another assistant coach, etc to add to the mix.

I don’t necessarily see those first rounders as just plugging holes. In an ideal world we should be able to play regular finals with the group we have now, and bringing through multiple first rounders in the next year or two sustains the talent pool, bridging the gap across eras, so as the current 23-28yr old crop move into their veteran status, the ‘23-24 draftees will be emerging. Sort of what someone like Lachie Neale was supposed to do as a young player at the backend of our 12-15 era, transitioning into the new era and emerging as a top player as those veterans fell away.

But there’s much less of a cliff between what Neale/Pearce/Fyfe were at the end of ‘15 compared to the retiring veterans of that time, we will have a smoother list profile considering just a couple of years gap to the next group of talent (Johnson, Amiss, Erasmus), another couple of years to the next (Young, Serong, etc etc). So we should be very well positioned for a sustained period of performance - ideally if it goes to plan.

As long as our coach is good enough. And as long we don’t do anything silly like give all those first rounders to Sydney.

The original post is good and exactly the reason why JL is under pressure this year. Another 13th or lower finish with a list profile like this is not acceptable. Serong and Brayshaw are mature AA players now and no longer inconsistent kids. It’s not unrealistic to say there are 8 players on our list that could be realistic AA contenders in 2024.
Serong
Brayshaw
Young
Darcy
Cox
Jackson
Ryan
And at a push, if he kicked close to 50 goals… Amiss.
Of course they won’t all be. But 2 or 3 could this year in a good year for us.

I don’t know if we are quite top 4 level yet, (have doubts around our small forwards) but I do believe we should be sitting in the 8 all year long.
Can the coaching group get the most out of this collection of talent? That’s the million dollar question.

I have concerns about the forwardline too. However, Collingwood won a flag last year with a forwardline consisting of -

Mihocek (B grade tall, aka Taberner)
Elliot (classy, clutch veteran small, aka Walters)
McCreery (hybrid, high pressure type forward who doesn’t kick many goals, aka Switta)
Frampton (total spud, give me Jacko/Treacy thanks)
Hoskin Elliot (medium-tall type, aka Sturt)
Hill (this is the concern, we have no answer to this. But we do have our most promising forward, Amiss)

Our forward line is literally no worse than theirs of ‘23. Their flag came off the back of great coaching, midfield and defensive star players, total player buy-in to an gameplan, and a number of other intangibles.
We have a ready made defence and star mid group. We have all the tools right here right now. Do we have the right coaching and leadership to have the players believing they can genuinely compete for a flag this year though.

Last edited:
Melbournes forward line in 2021 wasn’t much either, you never know. I’m optimistic but as per above precedence leaves us weary. If a lot goes right like Darcy stays fit, Jackson, Amiss & Treacy progress as we think, Sharp goes well on a wing, Young goes well as a mid etc etc. Don’t need them all to go right but a healthy proportion (also Fyfe going at 80% of Brownlow Fyfe would be huge).

Melbournes forward line in 2021 wasn’t much either, you never know. I’m optimistic but as per above precedence leaves us weary. If a lot goes right like Darcy stays fit, Jackson, Amiss & Treacy progress as we think, Sharp goes well on a wing, Young goes well as a mid etc etc. Don’t need them all to go right but a healthy proportion (also Fyfe going at 80% of Brownlow Fyfe would be huge).
Its got to be soon though. Interstate teams are going to shape the top 8.
You have GWS, Brisbane, Lions Port, Sydney Crows and GC on the up.
Which VIC teams besides Pies, Blues?
An interstate GF would be the best for our chances.
Those concessions are going to bite the AFL in the butt, then Tassie.

Because preseason has everyone completely over rate their players. The comp has never been this even with basically only two teams you could categorically rule out making finals (unless you ask WC fans).

I would argue finals is the pass mark though I am still bullish on the list and the talent all over the ground but we aren’t contending until Amiss is at least 24.

I have concerns about the forwardline too. However, Collingwood won a flag last year with a forwardline consisting of -

Mihocek (B grade tall, aka Taberner)
Elliot (classy, clutch veteran small, aka Walters)
McCreery (hybrid, high pressure type forward who doesn’t kick many goals, aka Switta)
Frampton (total spud, give me Jacko/Treacy thanks)
Hoskin Elliot (medium-tall type, aka Sturt)
Hill (this is the concern, we have no answer to this. But we do have our most promising forward, Amiss)

Our forward line is literally no worse than theirs of ‘23. Their flag came off the back of great coaching, midfield and defensive star players, total player buy-in to an gameplan, and a number of other intangibles.
We have a ready made defence and star mid group. We have all the tools right here right now. Do we have the right coaching and leadership to have the players believing they can genuinely compete for a flag this year though.
The star mid group is probably up in the air on the back of last year? We seemed to be an average mid group by most measures.

Agree we've got plenty of upside. Brayshaw was hampered early, Young comes in full time, Fyfe still a watch. Growth in Johnson and Erasmus.

For all the chat about ball movement the contest / clearance bit is still the easiest avenue to upside this year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The simple answer is most of the blokes you have pencilled in as quality are still just potential and most of the blokes with a ton of experience just aren't that good relative to the rest of the comp.

You get there on an experienced core of quality players with (usually well) over 100 games. This is a list of our blokes with a 100 games.

Pearce
Ryan
Cox
Brayshaw
Hughes
Fyfe
O'meara
Walters
Aish
Tabs

Of them, only Brayshaw and Ryan are proven A-graders currently. 2 used to be but got old or injured, 1 probably will be soon and they rest never were or will be. 1 is still one of our top whipping boys.

Pull up Brisbane or Pies 10 best 100+ gamers and see if you can spot the difference.

If your expectations are for top 4, you're just overrating our list on potential (which numerous other clubs could do just as well), simple as that.

The star mid group is probably up in the air on the back of last year? We seemed to be an average mid group by most measures.

Agree we've got plenty of upside. Brayshaw was hampered early, Young comes in full time, Fyfe still a watch. Growth in Johnson and Erasmus.

For all the chat about ball movement the contest / clearance bit is still the easiest avenue to upside this year?
Agree 100% our midfield was our issue last year. Unorganized, dysfunctional and as a result quite often murdered at clearances. I think the loss of Mundy hurt way more than anybody anticipated. I see Fyfe’s biggest role this year as marshaling the other players at stoppage.

Our defense as a collective is very good and we have a triple threat of Amiss, Jackson and Treacy/Tabs up forward. I know we lack an A grade small forward but I’m all in on Cooper Simpson and think he could impact immediately.

We are closer than a lot of people realise.

Who are you replacing him with tomorrow if the opportunity arises?
We aren't replacing him tomorrow are we? He's got at least to the bye, likely he'll either be replaced at the end of the year once it's mathematically impossible to make finals or, if he makes the bottom part of the 8 they'll give him a couple if more years to meander around. If he proves me wrong and makes top 4 give him the keys to the club.

We aren't replacing him tomorrow are we? He's got at least to the bye, likely he'll either be replaced at the end of the year once it's mathematically impossible to make finals or, if he makes the bottom part of the 8 they'll give him a couple if more years to meander around. If he proves me wrong and makes top 4 give him the keys to the club.
Yeah I’ve got no issue with your opinion, just keen to know who you would prefer coaching us. I’m on record as saying Chris Scott would be my pick but are there any realistically available coaches who could instantly change our fortunes?

Wings

Small forwards

Coach - solely ability to adjust game plan during games / not proactive.

Wings look increasingly good
Small forwards still an issue
Coach tba

Best 22 breakdown:

Defenders -

Rotating through -

Ollie Murphy - debutant

Midfield/Ruck -

Rotating through/wings -

Forwards

Rotating through -

Congratulations 🎈👏👍.

You practically set yourself to failure if this doesn't get pulled off.

To be honest for our historically bad club that has made finals 8 times in 29 years and only made back to back finals in 2012-5, finishing 5th to 8th in 2024 is the best I can hope for.

Saying that, If we don't make finals and Justin Longmuir gets sacked.... Egg on your face.

Very happy to be proven wrong.

RonnieRaven what about you?

1. Last year I felt we needed 1 or 2 more small forwards and we have lost Schultz. It is not just the goals, but the forward pressure we well miss and expecting Walters to fill the gap is asking too much.

2. Our midfield lacks explosive players to break lines, or elite skills.

3. Our mids don't play forward very well. A player like de Goey would be a game changer.

1. Last year I felt we needed 1 or 2 more small forwards and we have lost Schultz. It is not just the goals, but the forward pressure we well miss and expecting Walters to fill the gap is asking too much.

2. Our midfield lacks explosive players to break lines, or elite skills.

3. Our mids don't play forward very well. A player like de Goey would be a game changer.
Don’t invite me to your party!
Degoey haha

You read to many dirt sheets

Carn the dockers

Last edited:
Best 22 breakdown:

Defenders -

Rotating through -

Ollie Murphy - debutant

Midfield/Ruck -

Rotating through/wings -

Forwards

Rotating through -

More of the same from you fatty

Congratulations 🎈👏👍.

You practically set yourself to failure if this doesn't get pulled off.

To be honest for our historically bad club that has made finals 8 times in 29 years and only made back to back finals in 2012-5, finishing 5th to 8th in 2024 is the best I can hope for.

Saying that, If we don't make finals and Justin Longmuir gets sacked.... Egg on your face.

Very happy to be proven wrong.

RonnieRaven what about you?

I think you misread the tone of my post. We have a very good core team so there is nothing wrong with having a high bar. Hence, if we have a poor year I would be quite welcoming of changes. No egg required.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back