Toast Welcome To Freo Ollie Murphy (pick 41 2023 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome aboard fella!

Last edited:
McDonald is only 27. Be interesting to see if he gets games or is purely here for depth.
Would take a bit of a shuffle of roles. If we are intent on moving Chapman up to a wing, I can definitely see McDonald getting a game as the second tall with cox moving to the intercept role, or cox moving to 3rd tall and Ryan playing the intercept role, I do worry that Pearce, McDonald, Cox and Ryan could be too slow. Haven’t seen much of McDonald though.

Edit: there we definitely games Pearce should have sat out this year though, so a reliable KPD depth player could have played 10-12 games this year.

Would take a bit of a shuffle of roles. If we are intent on moving Chapman up to a wing, I can definitely see McDonald getting a game as the second tall with cox moving to the intercept role, or cox moving to 3rd tall and Ryan playing the intercept role, I do worry that Pearce, McDonald, Cox and Ryan could be too slow. Haven’t seen much of McDonald though.

Edit: there we definitely games Pearce should have sat out this year though, so a reliable KPD depth player could have played 10-12 games this year.
Just looking at Ollie Murphy I doubt he will come on fast.

There's a bit of flack being thrown at Davies by some posters (and some of the comments about MacDonald if we trade for him) but the reality is most big fellas need time.

This guy will ask for a trade in a couple of years. “Not sure purple suits me”

“Have I been to Perth…ummm not sure. Maybe?”

Looks miserable coming out of the airport.

We will put the typical A class development into him then he’s off.

Skip to content
25/11/2023 11:42:21 PM

House of Footy
HOUSE OF FOOTY
THE HOME OF YOUR FOOTY FIX

Primary Menu

Light/Dark Button

SUBSCRIBE TO HOF

‘I’m ready for that new and exciting challenge’: Ollie Murphy fulfils AFL dream at Fremantle​

CAL CUMMINS 21/11/2023

OMURPH.png

Murphy is set for the big time in 2024. (Image: AFL)
Ollie Murphy is Fremantle’s newest key defender, after being selected at pick 41 in Tuesday night’s second round of the AFL Draft.
Standing at a staggering 200cm tall, Murphy loomed as one of the better key position players in this years AFL Draft as he looks to transfer his skill set into Dockers colours.
Murphy averaged 11.3 disposals, almost five marks, four rebound 50s and four contested possessions per game.
His efforts were rewarded with a highly decorated CV for 2023, including being named in the Coates League Team of the Year and claimed Vic Metro’s MVP.
Murphy spoke to Fox Footy after his selection detailing his excitement and what he has learnt in 2023.
“It’s a relief to hear your name called out,” Murphy said, “and It’s an exciting factor moving (to Perth).”
“As a defender I’ve learned to be resilient especially when forwards out-mark you and kick a couple goals, so resilience is something I’ve learned.”

He was then asked if there was any inspirations he had growing up.
“As a Saints fan, Nick Riewoldt is someone I model my game around,” he said.

More AFL News​

New Dee Windsor has sights on flag
Dogs the perfect place to land for young midfielder Ryley Sanders
‘Go for it’: Bombers land Caddy on Draft night
Speaking exclusively to House of Footy before the draft, Murphy highlighted the prospect of being on an AFL list.
“I had a bit of interest and it is good to see that the hard work gets your name out there to the clubs.”
“I don’t feel as much pressure for ‘the big moments’, more so that I don’t want to let my teammates down, that’s what gives me the extra lift.”
“Getting picked is a dream come true, the one thing I want to develop at AFL level is maturity. It is a big jump, but I’m ready for that challenge.”
“If it was to be interstate, I’m ready for that new and exciting challenge.”

The 18-year-old strengths feature in his endurance, overhead marking, and efficiency with the ball given his 200cm frame.
“I feel as though I’m an endurance runner and play to me strengths with my aerial competitiveness.” he said.
“I also feel strong in one-on-one defence and spoiling the ball down to ground level.”
“Rob Harding (Sandringham Dragons Head Coach) really emphasised the message of ‘play to your strengths’, so I look to embed those into my game”
“You play footy in areas your good at, and those individual roles is what will bring team success.”
Subscribe to our newsletter!
I accept the privacy policy

Like this:​

Related

Big boot in Schoenmaker to boost the Saints

21/11/2023
In "AF

This guy will ask for a trade in a couple of years. “Not sure purple suits me”

“Have I been to Perth…ummm not sure. Maybe?”

Looks miserable coming out of the airport.

We will put the typical A class development into him then he’s off.
I’ve been saying the same thing. Him and Simpson is giving very much Cerra vs Brayshaw

He likely won't even debut in that timeframe, so I'm not sure why a club would come after him having already passed in this draft.
He Clearly doesn’t seem invested coming over. When he said “not sure purple suits me” either he’s a dumbass or hates that we picked him up.

Possibly was passed by other clubs due to his unprofessional view on his potential footy career.

The fact he said what he said and couldn’t even remember if he’s been to Perth or not…needs to switch on. I know he’s only 18 but you need to mature quickly in this system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He Clearly doesn’t seem invested coming over. When he said “not sure purple suits me” either he’s a dumbass or hates that we picked him up.

Possibly was passed by other clubs due to his unprofessional view on his potential footy career.

The fact he said what he said and couldn’t even remember if he’s been to Perth or not…needs to switch on. I know he’s only 18 but you need to mature quickly in this system.
All fine bagging him with conjecture, but if you are correct our recruitments due diligence is the issue.

I think his marking and ball reading could see him work in a third tall role, his ball distribution isn't too bad either.

For clarity, I'm not saying he would be first choice for it but if he were to debut and take a handful of impressive marks and get a rising star nomination for it - thats the time to have the two year extension on the table, since not signing it would mean we can swap him for Collard end of the year.

Let’s see if what he says once he settles in and becomes mates with some of the players.

It’s a big change to move across the country for someone that age.

Who knows what was in his mind, maybe his mrs has been freaking out about him going interstate, maybe he loves it but isn’t that well spoken.

Onus is on the club now to make it an environment people want to stay in.

I listened to his old man’s interview with Healy and Kane just before the draft, while he was all diplomatic it definitely came out as a strong expectation that he would remain in Victoria.
I understand some young fellas can be overwhelmed and it obviously can be a big deal moving across the country but can’t help but notice big differences in reaction from him compared to the other two.
My gut feeling is he’ll ask for a trade home in 2-3 years

Purple doesn't suit me either, that doesn't mean I wouldn't jump at the chance to play AFL for the Dockers after being overlooked for 40 picks.

Other than his post draft interview, what has he done to give you guys those vibes?

If I didn’t support Freo there’s a pretty good chance I’d have never worn purple in my life tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back