Toast Welcome to Fremantle Ethan Stanley - 2023 Mid Season Draft Pick 8

Remove this Banner Ad

I still don’t understand why people are saying with such certainty Henry is going. What is the basis for this? Point me at a definitive source please cause I haven’t seen one.
The quotes directly from Henry and Bell in the past couple days are close as you can get to confirming a player is leaving without explicitly saying it.

I still don’t understand why people are saying with such certainty Henry is going. What is the basis for this? Point me at a definitive source please cause I haven’t seen one.
Because he’s started playing good
Duh !

Well clearly nobody here knows for sure, but if you're reading the tea leaves and picking the most likely outcome based on similar media sentiment for players past, you'd be hard pressed to conclude it is more likely he is staying.

The quotes directly from Henry and Bell in the past couple days are close as you can get to confirming a player is leaving without explicitly saying it.
Maybe it's the bizarro-confidence from Belly, given he was confident of retaining Brad Hill and Adam Cerra when asked about that in the Julys of the years they left.

Man, I do hope he gets a full game this week, I've gushed enough on him but he's seriously like the best version of Noddy last year but more composed with ball in hand. It's going to take a long time before any MSD we pick up gets close to how good this pick was

Man, I do hope he gets a full game this week, I've gushed enough on him but he's seriously like the best version of Noddy last year but more composed with ball in hand. It's going to take a long time before any MSD we pick up gets close to how good this pick was
We're all on the hype train and all that, but is your real-life last name Stanley by any chance Snuff?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A perfect example of the kind of bravery JL needs to show over the last 5 games this year. I know the likes of Aish will be back in the side and he’s a JL favourite but there’s still room to play Ethan in the last few games. anything other than that will be yet another example of unnecessary conservatism with no obvious benefit.

A perfect example of the kind of bravery JL needs to show over the last 5 games this year. I know the likes of Aish will be back in the side and he’s a JL favourite but there’s still room to play Ethan in the last few games. anything other than that will be yet another example of unnecessary conservatism with no obvious benefit.
You're funny - in one thread saying if JL takes it easy over the last five games then he will do well to survive that, but here saying he needs the bravery to play Stanley. I know these are not mutually exclusive ideas, but playing raw kids usually results in losses. So interesting juxtaposition you have.

You're funny - in one thread saying if JL takes it easy over the last five games then he will do well to survive that, but here saying he needs the bravery to play Stanley. I know these are not mutually exclusive ideas, but playing raw kids usually results in losses. So interesting juxtaposition you have.
I didn’t say he should be taking it easy.
Also it’s not simply about wins and losses.
It’s the manner of the losses (or wins) that will be important. For example I’d rather see us play an expansive attacking style and lose to Brisbane by 20 points in a couple of weeks time, than play a heap of senior guys familiar with the old game plan in the same chip kick slow ball movement possession game against the eagles and win by 20 points.
If the above happened I’d be more positive about the defeat than the victory.

Stanley was one of the best Fremantle players on the ground in the final quarter last week. He has fully earned his place in the starting 22 this week. If he had been anonymous and shown nothing in this first game it might be different.

The tone of your and some others posts seem to think JL is completely immune from even moderate criticism. He is currently presiding over what’s quickly spiraling into one of the worst seasons in Fremantle AFL history in terms of ladder position. We will finish 15th and if the hawks had held on against Richmond last week it would probably be 16th. I may be wrong but I believe we have only finished 16th or lower twice since 1995 - in 2001 and 2016.
That’s how bad this is looking.
Considering the sky high expectations at the start of the season (fully backed by what the club was saying don’t forget), I’m not sure why some posters on here appear to be a bit irate that the coach or the club is getting a bit of criticism for how things have panned out? Should there not be some accountability or are we happy to make up the numbers as a backwater club that shuffles irrelevantly around the bottom 8 most seasons?
All I want as a fan is to see the club succeed.
Anyway this is the Ethan Stanley thread and I just hope the kid gets a full game this week on the back of his positive showing last week. Nobody is going to criticise JL for selecting him next week if Stanley plays a full game and doesn’t do much. I can guarantee that.

I suspect Ethan will once again be the Sub.

He played well when he came on in the final quarter and certainly made his mark.

I hope JL gives him more game time this time and not wait till the final quarter to bring him on.

Using a debit player as a sub is s**t. You need to be tactical and have a player that impacts a game so you can bring him on earlier if possible. By all means sub a young bloke out but let them prepare for a game like a normal 22 player.

I didn’t say he should be taking it easy.
Also it’s not simply about wins and losses.
It’s the manner of the losses (or wins) that will be important. For example I’d rather see us play an expansive attacking style and lose to Brisbane by 20 points in a couple of weeks time, than play a heap of senior guys familiar with the old game plan in the same chip kick slow ball movement possession game against the eagles and win by 20 points.
If the above happened I’d be more positive about the defeat than the victory.

Stanley was one of the best Fremantle players on the ground in the final quarter last week. He has fully earned his place in the starting 22 this week. If he had been anonymous and shown nothing in this first game it might be different.

The tone of your and some others posts seem to think JL is completely immune from even moderate criticism. He is currently presiding over what’s quickly spiraling into one of the worst seasons in Fremantle AFL history in terms of ladder position. We will finish 15th and if the hawks had held on against Richmond last week it would probably be 16th. I may be wrong but I believe we have only finished 16th or lower twice since 1995 - in 2001 and 2016.
That’s how bad this is looking.
Considering the sky high expectations at the start of the season (fully backed by what the club was saying don’t forget), I’m not sure why some posters on here appear to be a bit irate that the coach or the club is getting a bit of criticism for how things have panned out? Should there not be some accountability or are we happy to make up the numbers as a backwater club that shuffles irrelevantly around the bottom 8 most seasons?
All I want as a fan is to see the club succeed.
Anyway this is the Ethan Stanley thread and I just hope the kid gets a full game this week on the back of his positive showing last week. Nobody is going to criticise JL for selecting him next week if Stanley plays a full game and doesn’t do much. I can guarantee that.
Totally agree. There is so much complacency in the context of us being a bottom-four club in a competition with two abysmal teams. On the bolded bit, early this year I watched a young GWS team play hard competitive footy against Brisbane, and agreed with other GWS fans at the time that a) Brisbane were a likely GF side and b) GWS were well coached and on the right track. Fremantle are so far off that pace it's tragic. Yet no-one at the club or even in the supporter base seems to accept this.

Like others, I can only hope the kid Stanley gets a full game this week.

That's slightly misleading though since it's a strange ladder this year in the sense that we're placed unusually low for how many games we've won.

Even if we assume we only win one more game for the year (the derby obviously!) we would finish with equal or more wins than 95, 96, 98, 99, 00, 01, 08, 09, 16, 17, 18, and 20.

Admittedly, there's one extra game this year but even if we assume that extra game is one of our wins instead of one of our losses we still equal/surpass 8 of the above years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back