Toast Welcome To Freo Cooper Simpson (pick 35 2023 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't his fall down the ladder have a lot to do with father son selections and early selection bonuses for some clubs!!!

I don't think it matters who (as in where from) was picked before him, he just looks a LOT better than what you expect at 35. Doubly so when he's apparently a legendary bloke with leadership.

I don't think it matters who (as in where from) was picked before him, he just looks a LOT better than what you expect at 35. Doubly so when he's apparently a legendary bloke with leadership.
I am sure he was touted in the top ten before all the FS and compensatrional picks were brought into being.
Some club gave up plenty to make sure their FS and I think also their NGA picks were kept.
Yes we have copped a beauty by the looks of what we saw last night.

Brad Johnson
Yep not a bad comparison and yeah I don't want to put too much pressure on the kid but geez he has some terrific traits for such a young player. Incase people are unaware the pick we used that combined with the future third rounder to land Cooper was part of the Shultz trade.(originally pick 34) So in effect the Shultz trade is now Simpson with a future first still to be used for Shultz and a future 3rd rounder.. That could end up being a great trade long term for freo particularly if a player like Emmett steps up to fill the role we played Shultz in. Here's hoping anyway.

Last edited:
Will be in for Switta at the first inevitable hamstring, and probs won’t come out again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He should be in for Switta round 1. Apart from the physical maturity of several years in the system and getting near top speed off his first step, I can't think of a single thing Switta has over him, and there's already things Simpson can do better, like kick more than 40 metres. The Simpson upside is well ahead of the Switta peak

Pretty every much every draft has a top 20 or 30 mid in the comp in it picked outside the first round. With there being so many midfielders combined with drafting being an inexact science it's not surprising.

Gratifying though that we have got 20% of them the last 20 years. (Touch wood)
Who are counting in the last 20 years?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He gives me Brent Harvey vibes

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thought so, better add Johnson as well, he’s a second rounder.
Was thinking, when I was sneaking a look at the game on my phone whilst in the Cordial Bar at the Premier Mill Hotel in Katanning last night on a one day get away with my wife, apart from the fact I'm clearly a bad person; 's**t this Johnson kiddie can play'. So, revised list:

Mundy Fyfe Neale Barlow (Johnson) ((Simpson)).

Do you mean pace? Not sure. Something about the way he moves though . Shuey didn’t fumble and neither does Cooper on exposed form.
Pace/acceleration/lateral movement/agility/flair - that's what I'm trying to sum up with 'fizz'

1 pre season game in and This dude is AFL quality
Your point is obviously valid but this is what we do here. For what its worth I once posted Josh Simpson would be the second coming of Stephen Hill after watching a training session. Saying Simpson looks like he'll be a very good player would be (for me) in the lower level of exaggerated expectations. Just saying.

Your point is obviously valid but this is what we do here. For what its worth I once posted Josh Simpson would be the second coming of Stephen Hill after watching a training session. Saying Simpson looks like he'll be a very good player would be (for me) in the lower level of exaggerated expectations. Just saying.
To be fair, not like talent was the issue for Simpson and I think gungho might be serious. We've all watched enough footy to know an AFL footballer when we see it and Simpson clearly has IT.

To be fair, not like talent was the issue for Simpson and I think gungho might be serious. We've all watched enough footy to know an AFL footballer when we see it and Simpson clearly has IT.
Yeah we're agreeing. My point is more that watching Cooper and making a judgment on his talent is not the biggest or most exaggerated call on here by a long way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back