Toast Welcome To Freo Cooper Simpson (pick 35 2023 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

We have a vacant role for a hard working pressure forward. It's really just a matter of if he can run out a full game of it.
Match sims he has already announced
himself.
Shultz was a work horse, but Simpson has that and more.
Should be plenty of roving goals available from our contested talls.
A few years as a small forward, then a move midfield.

Simpson moves well. Isn’t a Shultz replacement as they are very different..but looks like an upgraded version of Switta with better disposal.

He sure does move well

I think Switta has excellent disposal except for his goal kicking past 30m out which is an issue.

Although it's too early to tell I believe Simpson will push one of our small forwards out in the next year or two. He does look promising.

Simpson moves well. Isn’t a Shultz replacement as they are very different..but looks like an upgraded version of Switta with better disposal.
From what I saw yesterday, definitely not better disposal. Loopy kicks that aren’t weighted that well. He’s not really a small forward tbh, much closer style wise (purely style, TBD on ability) to the powerful /explosive guys like Zurhaar and them.

Based on the highlights he's in, he's the exact type of midfielder we don't have so lets hope he's a jet.

If he was a good kick he'd have gone higher in the draft, even with the limited exposure. He can be like Danger, get in to space and bomb it for 80m gained. As long as the opposition doesn't mark it we're ok.

Based on the highlights he's in, he's the exact type of midfielder we don't have so lets hope he's a jet.

If he was a good kick he'd have gone higher in the draft, even with the limited exposure. He can be like Danger, get in to space and bomb it for 80m gained. As long as the opposition doesn't mark it we're ok.
exactly, and with time our forwards build chemistry with him, leading to an understanding of where the ball will go. With talent like Amiss & Jackson in particular with the ball slightly to their advantage will outmark their opponents more often than not.

We are on the inside, just being cautious after last year about getting our hopes up while dancing with our sister in preseason. Personally think he’s already the draft steal of last year, but need to see it in an actual game.
“dancing with our sister in preseason”

Poetry 👌👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I saw yesterday, definitely not better disposal. Loopy kicks that aren’t weighted that well. He’s not really a small forward tbh, much closer style wise (purely style, TBD on ability) to the powerful /explosive guys like Zurhaar and them.

I like him cruising the forward like Ballas, and scooping up loose balls and slotting goals as if he’s shelling peas

Has got the serial pest feel, and will get in the face of a few opponents

I like him cruising the forward like Ballas, and scooping up loose balls and slotting goals as if he’s shelling peas

Has got the serial pest feel, and will get in the face of a few opponents
Balla was a midfielder first, then made his name as a small forward.
Neale started with us as that forward/mid.
With hindsight Neale wasn’t valued by Ross due to his youth and probably draft
position.
Let’s hope history isn’t repeated and JLo picks on their merit.

Balla was a midfielder first, then made his name as a small forward.
Neale started with us as that forward/mid.
With hindsight Neale wasn’t valued by Ross due to his youth and probably draft
position.
Let’s hope history isn’t repeated and JLo picks on their merit.
Not sure that’s an issue, half our starting 22 are picks after 30, and half are under 22y.

Anyone that has watched two quarters of preseason today of this kid knows it to be true. His ceiling is miles, I mean miles, above switta as a player. And it's switta that is his most obvious like for like in the 'best 23'.
Round 1 Simpson in, switta out
Simpson will be awesome for us, but Switta remains our most important player. Most likely finished top 10 in our bnf again this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back