Toast Welcome to Freo Odin Jones (Pick 5 in 2023 Rookie Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

The description of Odin Jones reminds me of Michael Apeness.
There’s a blast from the past. Still not sure why we picked Apeness. (From memory a first round pick??).
Just one of the many hiccups in our perpetual quest for a key forward over the last 20 years.

There’s a blast from the past. Still not sure why we picked Apeness. (From memory a first round pick??).
Just one of the many hiccups in our perpetual quest for a key forward over the last 20 years.

Yes we were desperate for a Key Forward. I think we were going to take McCarthy then GWS took him out of the blue even though they already had a stack of Key Forwards. I think we reached for the next available big option.

Yes we were desperate for a Key Forward. I think we were going to take McCarthy then GWS took him out of the blue even though they already had a stack of Key Forwards. I think we reached for the next available big option.
💯 this is what happened. SOS was list manager at GWS and stuffed our plans up again!

Gotta wonder why we picked up Odin when we have 4 on our list.. and 2 who are now signed to 2029...

Unless Odin reforms into a forward, won't need in the list in 2 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta wonder why we picked up Odin when we have 4 on our list.. and 2 who are now signed to 2029...

I was watching some WAFL footage of some prospects for 2024 (think it was Subi versus West Perth, was taking a look at Champion I think?) and incidentally I saw a guy a couple of times take some really strong marks and plays that really caught my eye in the background that looked "AFL translatable"; I then realised it was Odin Jones.

I think we may have changed tack a little in what we are looking for with rookies - I definitely strikes me that Draper, Williams and now Jones are all local WA boys who have plenty of raw talent and are really appealling on paper but that hasn't translated to solid U18 performances. They all have "something" that looks right and if it all clicks could be really be something uniquely differentiating but none of them are picks that fit a list need of any particular kind. This is different from investing in say a player like Koen Sanchez who is maybe an average type on paper but works really hard and has results and fits a list need (arguably) or maybe if you look at the 2019-2020 rookie draft where we took Pina, North (and recycled Dixon) and they were all people who had runs on the board and maybe arguably fitted a need but where otherwise not particularly outstanding on paper / potential wise.

I think the fact they are all local is something as well. Not expecting a high list life expectancy on these players unless they really explode and they probably will all make way for anyone on the main list to play at Peel reserves unless they do so.

Walls explicitly said he sees him as a forward who pinch hits or even as a defender. He wasn't picked as a ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree there's a little bit of over-weighting in the big dog side of our list.

Handy to have someone who can fill an injury gap if required. I'm not sure if an emerging ruck is the best type for that. A durable journey man type may be better. Odin may be seen more as a forward, and even there he will need to be good.

If the young ones we have on our list are any good it is potentially a frustrating situation for them. Knobel perhaps the standout concern. Does he have another position?

so we have a depth tall forward with a strong pack mark and can pinch hit ruck in F50 that may never be needed (we have one in OMac for the back line too). So what? We now have good mature depth across each line to cover for injury while our young higher pick recruits develop. That's what good list management is. Better that than having to throw your top line recruits in too early and risk long term injuries and/or mental scars as they get mauled by AFL sized gorillas.

Worst case scenario - he amounts to nothing and gets a year studying the best ruck duo in the game.
Best case scenario - he looks to be a quality talent and creates some headaches for list management in a few years time.

Another scenario - he turns out to be another bullocking Treacy-type player and puts pressure on the tall forwards for his ability to play a really physical brand of footy, whilst also being a more than capable backup ruck.

I know people that have followed him right through juniors. He loves the physical side of the game and has skills. Needs more time and development but has upside. Has anyone watched him at preseason?

I have no problem with the Odin pick up.
Clearly we don’t really rate Reidy as if we did he would have played while Darcy was injured last year.
Darcy -> Knobel
Jackson-> Odin
Treacy was handy standing in as second ruck.

I think Murphy has rucked a bit as well, but probably irrelevant for a couple of years.

There's no downside in picking a near 2m tall contested marking, contest beast with a rookie pick.

If he forces his way into the side through form and we have a glut of options, then one of them explores them elsewhere and a rookie pick becomes a second round pick.

Treacy was handy standing in as second ruck.

I think Murphy has rucked a bit as well, but probably irrelevant for a couple of years.
Treacy did really well for someone 195cm, but I personally would prefer he concentrate on his forward development, having Odin to step in if Jackson is out makes sense to me.

Edit: if he shows some potential, otherwise I’d give Reidy or Knobel a crack.

Treacy did really well for someone 195cm, but I personally would prefer he concentrate on his forward development, having Odin to step in if Jackson is out makes sense to me.

Edit: if he shows some potential, otherwise I’d give Reidy or Knobel a crack.
One of the big positives for us is having players who can play multiple roles, and I'd like that to continue to be a small part of Treacy's game. Gets him involved and creates a bit of havoc for the opposition.

One of the big positives for us is having players who can play multiple roles, and I'd like that to continue to be a small part of Treacy's game. Gets him involved and creates a bit of havoc for the opposition.
It’s definitely a nice string to have to his bow, it was instrumental in our win over the Dees when Darcy went down in the 1st half. Treacy spent some significant minutes in the ruck in the last quarter and competed well enough for us to hold on for the win.
At the back end of the year, asking him to play second ruck for a month definitely impacted on his forward output and the team balance leaving Amiss paired with Corbett or Banfield as the second tall.
At the time I really wanted us to play Reidy in the forward/ruck role so Treacy and Amiss to continue to develop their partnership, it wasn’t to be and I feel the drafting of Odin indicates the club would like another option if the scenario of Darcy or Jackson being out for an extended time arose again.

It’s definitely a nice string to have to his bow, it was instrumental in our win over the Dees when Darcy went down in the 1st half. Treacy spent some significant minutes in the ruck in the last quarter and competed well enough for us to hold on for the win.
At the back end of the year, asking him to play second ruck for a month definitely impacted on his forward output and the team balance leaving Amiss paired with Corbett or Banfield as the second tall.
At the time I really wanted us to play Reidy in the forward/ruck role so Treacy and Amiss to continue to develop their partnership, it wasn’t to be and I feel the drafting of Odin indicates the club would like another option if the scenario of Darcy or Jackson being out for an extended time arose again.
I had my first look at Odin at preseason training today. His leap and follow up work in ruck drills was impressive. I agree that Treacy is better suited to playing purely forward if we bring Jones into the team at some point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back