Toast Welcome To Freo Cooper Simpson (pick 35 2023 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pace/acceleration/lateral movement/agility/flair - that's what I'm trying to sum up with 'fizz'
Ah ok. What I’ve seen is that he has pace and good lateral movement. He seems to have a footy brain too. His big points of difference seem to be his skills. Long and accurate kick and one touch.

Ah ok. What I’ve seen is that he has pace and good lateral movement. He seems to have a footy brain too. His big points of difference seem to be his skills. Long and accurate kick and one touch.
Pretty sure Longmuir asked Santa for some goal kicking midfielders...

.... and Santa came early.

Personally I hope they try to develop Simpson as a goal kicking small forward.

Yeh he can play in the middle, but he can actually kick straight and more than 20 meters, his pace, ability to rove front of a pack and cleaness are a clear deficiency up forward, and as he starts to get to the right weight and fitness Sonny will retire.

Not yet as bullish he can be a star mid, need to see him rack it up at AFL level first.

If he comes on as a small forward, we can use our first rounders elsewhere also, unless a gun small forward drops. No need to reach anyway.

Personally I hope they try to develop Simpson as a goal kicking small forward.

Yeh he can play in the middle, but he can actually kick straight and more than 20 meters, his pace, ability to rove front of a pack and cleaness are a clear deficiency up forward, and as he starts to get to the right weight and fitness Sonny will retire.

Not yet as bullish he can be a star mid, need to see him rack it up at AFL level first.

If he comes on as a small forward, we can use our first rounders elsewhere also, unless a gun small forward drops. No need to reach anyway.
Yes I do too, and seems to be the plan.

We seem to be developing midfielders who are multi positional. I thought the wing rotation worked well in the match sim. Young and Aish can both play best 22 midfield or defence.

Jackson gives us some of that in the forward line with his own unique attributes. Switta rolls through the midfield, but is not going to be picked as a midfielder. Simpson looks like he could be the dual position mid/forward.

Yes I do too, and seems to be the plan.

We seem to be developing midfielders who are multi positional. I thought the wing rotation worked well in the match sim. Young and Aish can both play best 22 midfield or defence.

Jackson gives us some of that in the forward line with his own unique attributes. Switta rolls through the midfield, but is not going to be picked as a midfielder. Simpson looks like he could be the dual position mid/forward.
How many times watching Footy do you see a master stroke move that turns defeat into victory, or our system eventually prevailing?
Then look at us and the coming back from the dead has happened only several
times. The only memorable ones are against the Saints and the Bulldogs final.
Usually it’s all over if we are getting easily done by half time.
Until we see that sort of resolve we will always be labeled flaky.
The mental fortitude, refusing to bend, those teams make finals because they
believe.
Winning in the wet is another? After all it is a winter sport.

How many times watching Footy do you see a master stroke move that turns defeat into victory, or our system eventually prevailing?
Then look at us and the coming back from the dead has happened only several
times. The only memorable ones are against the Saints and the Bulldogs final.
Usually it’s all over if we are getting easily done by half time.
Until we see that sort of resolve we will always be labeled flaky.
The mental fortitude, refusing to bend, those teams make finals because they
believe.
Winning in the wet is another? After all it is a winter sport.
In 2022 we had a reputation for coming back from the dead, they had a never give up attitude. It will return this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It looked like we adapted to the game plan they brought against us and the opposition didn't have a plan B.

A lot of that will be Nathan Fyfe to the middle.

In 2022 we had a reputation for coming back from the dead, they had a never give up attitude. It will return this season.

We also have a reputation for slow starts unfortunately. Have a slow start and you need to come back hard to win.

I would love us to get over the slow start problem this year.

Your point is obviously valid but this is what we do here. For what its worth I once posted Josh Simpson would be the second coming of Stephen Hill after watching a training session. Saying Simpson looks like he'll be a very good player would be (for me) in the lower level of exaggerated expectations. Just saying.
That was you! That gets hung on me as having said that sometimes. I totally rated J Simpson but I couldn't remember ever thinking he was similar in attributes to Hill.

Kiddy Coleman is the second coming of Stephen Hill.

That was you! That gets hung on me as having said that sometimes. I totally rated J Simpson but I couldn't remember ever thinking he was similar in attributes to Hill.

Kiddy Coleman is the second coming of Stephen Hill.
Josh Simpson has a training session where he kicked goals from 50 metres in the pockets off his left foot when he is right footed. I said he looked like Stephen Hill and would play 200 games for Fremantle.

Josh Simpson has a training session where he kicked goals from 50 metres in the pockets off his left foot when he is right footed. I said he looked like Stephen Hill and would play 200 games for Fremantle.
It wasn't lack of talent or ability that stopped him though.

That pick up was sex as was the running goal.

I hope the first words out of the coaches mouth to him as he came off was “don’t pass that ball when you’re in the clear 35 out from goal. Snap the goal …be hungry in that situation unless we have a free player in the goal square”

He snapped a pass to a 2 on 2

When some West Coast fans are already stressing out over passing on him, you know its not just purple goggles.

Those hands remind me of Neale.
Main concern is we may become too small in the midfield when he joins it. Ras isn't proven yet so he can't come into the equation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back