Game Day 2023 AFL Draft - The Late Male Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Fremantle would have been happy to see Vic Metro MVP Ollie Murphy available with pick 41. After rising up boards during the National Championships, he slid back down and is a handy developmental pick in the key defensive slot. He could also try his hand up forward, where he spent plenty of time playing as a junior.
South Australian goalsneak Jack Delean was also a value pick for Fremantle at 60, given the type of tricks he has up his sleeve. Geelong put faith in George Stevens after a terrific year, and with a couple of Cats VFL games under his belt. The 189cm, 101kg behemoth split recruiters given his lack of modern day AFL traits, but his consistency, character, and diligence to return in 2023 have proven admirable.

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/promulgate-redirect/?sid=10&bsa_pro_id=15&bsa_pro_url=1

I think the Johnson vs Chesser comparison will be the most important one going forward.
Oh absolutely, I would say Chesser has been pretty unlucky with injury so I wouldn't be crowing too loudly yet.
I also feel for Chesser as a person as it's none of his doing, but if he ends up being a bust and Johnson has a decent career it'll be one of those fans harp on about forever.
Including me to any of my Eagles friends 😂

Oh absolutely, I would say Chesser has been pretty unlucky with injury so I wouldn't be crowing too loudly yet.
I also feel for Chesser as a person as it's none of his doing, but if he ends up being a bust and Johnson has a decent career it'll be one of those fans harp on about forever.
Including me to any of my Eagles friends 😂
We got lucky with Johnson. Walls got it wrong that draft valuing Ras over Johno. Would have been a big * up if we didn't get him. Idc what any of you say Johno as it stands is going to be a damn good player for us and will probably be our best mid in a few years time. Ras is still a wildcard but will probably be a serviceable mid.

Six players left us this year and we have acquired 6 new players, average age of outgoing was 27.66 years and incoming is 20.16 years which is less by 7 and 1/2 years which is substantial, should keep our overall average age down even though every player will be a year older next year.

We got lucky with Johnson. Walls got it wrong that draft valuing Ras over Johno. Would have been a big * up if we didn't get him. Idc what any of you say Johno as it stands is going to be a damn good player for us and will probably be our best mid in a few years time. Ras is still a wildcard but will probably be a serviceable mid.

You might be right. I can definitely see it more in Johnson for natural talent over Erasmus. If we picked Johnson as our second pick we may have missed out on Erasmus at our next pick and picked Goater instead. I'd rather Erasmus IMO. JVR would have been nice but he went before our third pick.

It's all good in hindsight

Six players left us this year and we have acquired 6 new players, average age of outgoing was 27.66 years and incoming is 20.16 years which is less by 7 and 1/2 years which is substantial, should keep our overall average age down even though every player will be a year older next year.
Average list age is pretty irrelevant, it’s the age of the 23 we send out every week that matters. Wilson, Colyer and Hamling weren’t B23 players, so no real harm done. O McDonald was important depth if Cox or Pearce are injured we won’t have to play underdeveloped depth.
Schultz is 25, replaced by Emmett 22 so loose a couple of years there, Sharp and Henry are the same age, so no loss.
Overall the extra year on most payers offsets any loss from Schultz and will see us hopefully not be the younger every week.

Agree with pK75

That loss of experience is going to hurt Peel more, at least in the short term. Possibly Freo if we get some injuries.

Last edited:
I’ve got a feeling Simpson, Murphy and Delean could be a special draft haul for us. Simpson in particular looks like he will thrive in an elite environment. Murphy tested at the combine like Alex Pearce 2.0 minus the lower leg injuries; and Delean is a natural forward with an offensive game and more than a bit of swagger. Could be the 7 beers I’ve had this arvo but I’m bullish as hell on these three.

I’ve got a feeling Simpson, Murphy and Delean could be a special draft haul for us. Simpson in particular looks like he will thrive in an elite environment. Murphy tested at the combine like Alex Pearce 2.0 minus the lower leg injuries; and Delean is a natural forward with an offensive game and more than a bit of swagger. Could be the 7 beers I’ve had this arvo but I’m bullish as hell on these three.
I’ve enjoyed a bottle of good red and have arrived at exactly the same conclusion as you.

Agree with pK75

That loss of experience is going to hurt Peel more, at least in the short term. Possibly Freo if we get some injuries.

Outside of Schultz and Henry who played quite a few games, I doubt the other four played 10 games between them last year.

Schultz will be a massive loss, Henry might be. Hamling could be if both Pearce and Cox get injured - otherwise we won’t miss him.

Delisting Colyer, Wilson and Benning is simply standard list management that happens every year. It’s almost poor list management if you don’t delist these guys.

The loss of two best 22 players concerns me but the loss of depth doesn’t if I’m completely honest. Of course our new players are younger than our older ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outside of Schultz and Henry who played quite a few games, I doubt the other four played 10 games between them last year.

Schultz will be a massive loss, Henry might be. Hamling could be if both Pearce and Cox get injured - otherwise we won’t miss him.

Delisting Colyer, Wilson and Benning is simply standard list management that happens every year. It’s almost poor list management if you don’t delist these guys.

The loss of two best 22 players concerns me but the loss of depth doesn’t if I’m completely honest. Of course our new players are younger than our older ones.
I still laugh at the notion that Henry is a loss for us. I can only think of the Essendon game last year where he was contributed significantly to a win. Easily replaceable.

I still laugh at the notion that Henry is a loss for us. I can only think of the Essendon game last year where he was contributed significantly to a win. Easily replaceable.

I don’t see a guaranteed replacement tbh. My only concern is that we keep chopping and changing and have no consistency in the wing position like this year before Henry became best 22.

I actually agree he should be replaceable. There is risk that other players don’t stand up though.

5 games in and we will be saying: Henry who’ ….
Sharp or another will replace his output easily, and in round 10 against the Saints - he will be shown up by his replacement - with gut run and ticker….

Wasn’t Acres easily replaceable though?

And yes Acres is way better than Henry but still.

I don’t see a guaranteed replacement tbh. My only concern is that we keep chopping and changing and have no consistency in the wing position like this year before Henry became best 22.

I actually agree he should be replaceable. There is risk that other players don’t stand up though.
The fact that we played our best footy all year without Henry in the team says it all really.

Acres defensive side was always going to be hard to replace for us. His work with the ball was easily replaceable, but he was consistently getting back to help defence, intercepting regularly, always in good positions defensively. We didn’t have any wingers with that same profile. I’ve always maintained that to be our worst list management decisions in recent times.

The way I saw Henry was that his best games were just him finding himself uncontested in a lot of space meaning he would be a good option for that kick out of defence from say a Ryan who did the actual intercepting. His disposal again was rarely special. That to me is a lot more easily replaceable

Nope, never said Acres was easily replaceable- mature big bodied wing, Henry seagulled off the half back line and never drove the ball long and deep into the 50…
Even if Acres did launch 100 bombs - 50 up, 50 down

I’ve enjoyed a bottle of good red and have arrived at exactly the same conclusion as you.
So as long as we all stay pissed this year we should be playing finals ?

5 games in and we will be saying: Henry who’ ….
Sharp or another will replace his output easily, and in round 10 against the Saints - he will be shown up by his replacement - with gut run and ticker….
Sharp on exposed form won't even get close. I mean, Sharp isn't even on a list right now.

I'd be hoping Chapman, Stanley, Aish and O'Driscoll are well in front of him in the queue for wing incumbency.

Haha yeah agree Henry isn't a loss.

Even if he becomes a decent player at St Kilda i am happy to see the back of him.

His softness won't be missed either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back