Toast Welcome to Freo Jeremy Sharp - SSP Selection 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

He just got interviewed on ABC radio and said his favourite player as a kid growing up was Sharrod Wellingham
Delist
Keep him away from the trampolines then.

An elite winger is overrated imo. We've had Weller, Langdon, Hill, Acres, Henry all leave as wingers and yet consistently find other players to plug into that role. As long as they can get back defensively and get good meters gained per kick then they'll do the job just fine.
I agree and the approach makes sense to me. Thought I’d get in to try to have some actual discussion before the pile on started.

An elite winger is overrated imo. We've had Weller, Langdon, Hill, Acres, Henry all leave as wingers and yet consistently find other players to plug into that role. As long as they can get back defensively and get good meters gained per kick then they'll do the job just fine.
Are there many "elite wingers" out there these days? You could probably count them on one hand.
Errol Gulden. Hugh McLuggage. Josh Daicos. Maybe Nic Martin?

Have you been watching the games? Aish has been playing half back all pre-season games and the first three AFL games. The other wing has been taken up by a combo of Brayshaw, Johnson and Banfield. Aish is no longer a winger.
Aish was recruited as a wing.

The honest answer is probably salary cap. We don’t value the wing position and just want someone who will run up and down all day getting to defensive contests and getting metres gained. Would rather save money from an elite winger and spend elsewhere
Elite wingers really make a team though, I find it a bit silly that we don't go for one. We seem to go for more honest triers than anything else.

Think the only elite wingers in danger of playing in grand final this year are Josh Kelly (if you call him a winger) and Gulden (still as much on ball as wing really)
when Frederick has gone to the wing for us he has immediately had a high impact.
I would love to see him on a wing full time.
Jeremy Sharpe looks very promising right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you been watching the games? Aish has been playing half back all pre-season games and the first three AFL games. The other wing has been taken up by a combo of Brayshaw, Johnson and Banfield. Aish is no longer a winger.

Was wondering wtf he was on about.
Serong even spent time on the wing. No Aish

Plays too much like Acres for me in terms of kicking. Great running and defence but too many big bombs forward and missed kicks. Why do we continuously trade/FA pick up average wingers who work hard but arent great at the fundamentals? Aish and Him on each wing, no wonder our forwards can't take a mark I50 when they're given feck all chance.
How many of the leagues best wingers are laser kicks though? I can only think of Gulden.

The main job description is gut running and using/creating space which he does brilliantly.

I think it is being a little kind to Sharp. Not as high a bomb as Acres but he certainly puts it up there. Sharp does need to lower the eyes a bit more sometimes but he also has good depth in his kicking.
The important difference is Jeremy’s 60 metres is direct while Blake’s are 30 up & 30 down.

He’s gaining confidence with opportunities & the comfort of home life.

If we can turn Acres into a decent winger & there were a lot of doubts early, this bloke has a massive head start on him & could be a very important piece of the puzzle. He’s still only 22.

He’s gaining confidence with opportunities & the comfort of home life.

If we can turn Acres into a decent winger & there were a lot of doubts early, this bloke has a massive head start on him & could be a very important piece of the puzzle. He’s still only 22.
Yeah, can see why he was still a relatively early pick in the national draft. I see everything a winger on his side of the ground needs to be.

when Frederick has gone to the wing for us he has immediately had a high impact.
I would love to see him on a wing full time.
Jeremy Sharpe looks very promising right now.
Fredrick has good kicking skills IMO and it’s not such a bad idea to give it a go. May lose a reliable goal kicker going forward though and we need as many of those as possible!

Plays too much like Acres for me in terms of kicking. Great running and defence but too many big bombs forward and missed kicks. Why do we continuously trade/FA pick up average wingers who work hard but arent great at the fundamentals? Aish and Him on each wing, no wonder our forwards can't take a mark I50 when they're given feck all chance.
Sharp is young at least. Has many many preaseasons ahead to improve his kicking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back