Toast Welcome To Freo Cooper Simpson (pick 35 2023 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Call me old fashioned but I don’t subscribe to statistics, I never really have. While stats may support the theory that higher picks are more likely to end up having a better and longer career, there’s also an important point that is a human error, or in this case, clubs make mistakes. There’s plenty of number one picks that ended up being either mediocre, injury prone or even busts. Pick number isn’t some magical number that guarantees the player will be a gun (or vice versa) so I find statistical exercises in this regard pretty useless.
Recruiters don’t always see the whole picture and can often be blinded by said stats.
Cooper got injured in what turned out to be a bit of a bad timing. Why is it impossible that he may be talked about in 5 years time as a top 5 player of this draft for example. If he’s really as driven as he seems and stays injury free, it’s a possibility.

I’ll back the young fella in
With Simpson it is more that he didn't play much due to injury wasn't it?

Murphy is probably the draftee we took who was most effected by stats: really slow results during testing seems to have seen him slide.

With Simpson it is more that he didn't play much due to injury wasn't it?

Murphy is probably the draftee we took who was most effected by stats: really slow results during testing seems to have seen him slide.
Who knows Gav, from memory Judd was in a possibly similar situation, had apparently dodgy shoulders. It’s a gamble.
I honestly don’t know why Ollie “slid”, maybe he was taken right where he should have been all along, ratings and predictions are subjective

Pick 35 in the hands of Walls is a different story though, players currently in (or close to) our B22 picked after 35 include:
Pearce (37) captain
Darcy (38)
Cox (41)
Emmett (41)
Wagner (43)
Walker (50)
Walters (53)
Frederick (61)
Ryan (66)
Switowski (73)
That’s 10 players, I’d be pretty happy to back him in from 35.
There should be a word that describes the feeling that comes after a late pick (35+?) ...
becomes a retrospective top ten...
with a little more time, good coaching and underlying "character".
I love it!

Who knows Gav, from memory Judd was in a possibly similar situation, had apparently dodgy shoulders. It’s a gamble.
I honestly don’t know why Ollie “slid”, maybe he was taken right where he should have been all along, ratings and predictions are subjective
All three of our main draft boys were expected to be taken and probably a bit higher than where they went.

Murphy apparently had some very slow runs in his testing so he could be considered a genuine slider, especially factoring in that he is a very tall KPD. Delean was talked about earlier in the draft, but there is a limited market for small forwards and there were quite a few options who were rated. Sanchez for example didn't even make the rookie lists but had been suggested by some to go early second round.

They might all be spoken of as sliders, but it looks more like a reflection of the draft being very even after the early picks.

I think Murphy "slid" (I was expecting him to go around Pick 20) because clubs were predominantly searching for needs and also the impact of bids for F/S and Academies through that region of the draft; the only tall backman that went before him that was not "generally expected to" was Wil Dawson. Curtin, O'Sullivan and McCabe went where they were expected to.

Last edited:
I saw in one of the private podcast in youtube Cooper saying he sees his game himself similar to Chad Warner. In our forum people comparing faster version of Tucker to him. I saw both Tucker's and Warner's highlights. I feel he has some skills Warner doesn't have but lack somethings warner has.. But he definitely has more game awareness and pace compare to Tucker. Even if he become a player between Tucker and Warner it is advantage Freo . Do you guys think he may be a better outside player than Warner but rotate in the middle?

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

I saw in one of the private podcast in youtube Cooper saying he sees his game himself similar to Chad Warner. In our forum people comparing faster version of Tucker to him. I saw both Tucker's and Warner's highlights. I feel he has some skills Warner doesn't have but lack somethings warner has.. But he definitely has more game awareness and pace compare to Tucker. Even if he become a player between Tucker and Warner it is advantage Freo . Do you guys think he may be a better outside player than Warner but rotate in the middle?

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really hate player comparisons

You can watch all players play on any given round in the afl and no two players are the same.

A quicker version of Tucker is absurd

I really hate player comparisons

You can watch all players play on any given round in the afl and no two players are the same.

A quicker version of Tucker is absurd
I think a quicker version of Tucker is a pretty good player to be honest. Tucker has never been far off being a genuinely good AFL player (and he's played over 100 games of AFL). A faster version of him would be handy

I'm sure he was always trying, but yeah, Tucker seemed to have the slow motion laconic style of a Mundy/Mark Waugh. Without the commensurate talent levels to successfully pull it off.

I'm sure he was always trying, but yeah, Tucker seemed to have the slow motion laconic style of a Mundy/Mark Waugh. Without the commensurate talent levels to successfully pull it off.
Spot on. To me he always just lacked intensity or urgency. Could find the ball at times and played some good games but just seemed stuck in 2nd gear most of the time.

I think a quicker version of Tucker is a pretty good player to be honest. Tucker has never been far off being a genuinely good AFL player (and he's played over 100 games of AFL). A faster version of him would be handy
I'll be shattered. Tuckers still doesn't know how to stay in games.

I've had Chad in my head since reading Coops profile the day before the draft and won't accept anything less.

I've had Chad in my head since reading Coops profile the day before the draft and won't accept anything less.
Granted, Chad Wingard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually can’t believe the Tucker stuff. Guy played about ten half games his whole time here

I just watched the press conference for the new draftees, what a well adjusted and well spoken young bloke Simpson is, feel like we have a future leader in this kid.

I can't believe we aren't frothing more about this kid. He's on EVERY insta highlight reel.
We are on the inside, just being cautious after last year about getting our hopes up while dancing with our sister in preseason. Personally think he’s already the draft steal of last year, but need to see it in an actual game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back