TigerCraig

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manly
The thing that seems to be boucing around a lot in these suggestion threads is that there are too many boards, too many posts etc etc.

As someone who knows next to nothing about the running of this site, can someone tell me:

"Does the number of boards, number of threads, number of posts add significant cost to the maintenance of the site or affect its performance"

If it does, fine changes may need to be made.

If it doesn't, then does it really matter how many different boards there are, or how many silly threads, or how many frivolous posts. If you aren't interested in something, don't go there.

I have no interest in Music, Computing, Wrestling, Basketball, American Sports, Team boards other than Richmond and Sydney or Regional Leagues. I just don't go there, but don't feel the need to call for them to shut down or slag those that post there.

Similarly if a general talk thread doesn't interest me or give me a laugh I just close it and don't go back.

So what's the issue?

Tiger Craig, how dare you add some sanity to this annoying debate that seems to have consumed people of late!!!!

I think the discussion is related to the nature of the site. It's called bigfooty but it's turning into a site where there are more non footy threads than footy ones.
You are right in that the other boards do no harm ( although I think some cause antagonism) but if things continue to develop as is then the site may as well change it's name to BigThread and maybe someone else can start up a real footy site.

Just curious...

Is there a forum anywhere that has strictly footy talk, and no general discussion etc at all anywhere on it?

Understand that Frodo, and it's a fair call.

But, I still can't see the problem.

If the boards don't add significant monetary or operational cost, does it really matter.

So long as all the posts in the main AFL board are on-topic, rational etc, that is the only place footy focused people need go to.

Going by the bigsoccer.com example, it is easy to move threads that don't fit onto other boards, thus keeping the AFL board pristine.

Originally posted by Frodo

You are right in that the other boards do no harm ( although I think some cause antagonism) but if things continue to develop as is then the site may as well change it's name to BigThread and maybe someone else can start up a real footy site.

So - the other boards do no harm, but you feel their existence means BF is not a "real footy site".

BF is a "footy community site". A community of people who have one thing in common, that they love footy.

The fact that they choose to talk about other topics should not make a difference to your enjoyment of the boards you choose to visit. Does it? Why do you think that might be?

Originally posted by Bluey
So - the other boards do no harm, but you feel their existence means BF is not a "real footy site".

BF is a "footy community site". A community of people who have one thing in common, that they love footy.

The fact that they choose to talk about other topics should not make a difference to your enjoyment of the boards you choose to visit. Does it? Why do you think that might be?

Tiger Craig asked a question, the answer of which I was actually interested in knowing, yet you failed to provide an answer; instead you chose to take a snipe at something Frodo said and totally ignored the original question. You'd make a great politician Bluey, you have the masses fooled and worshipping you while fudging the issues. Congratulations.

As a matter of interest, approx 70% of threads are footy related, ie, main, regional and team boards.
That would suggest that footy is still the main focus.

Originally posted by Fred
As a matter of interest, approx 70% of threads are footy related, ie, main, regional and team boards.
That would suggest that footy is still the main focus.
Ahhh the Minister for Propoganda speaks.. what's the answer to the question Herr Goebbels?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re : The actual question, I definitely don't know the answer. I presume fred wouldn't either. (Talking about whether it costs more to have more boards).

This is a pretty big site, and one I run is very small, but on there there's no cost per board, just a blanket fee, and probably extra cost if the bandwidth is bigger. So I'm no help on this one. Sorry.

Originally posted by Mobbenfuhrer
Re : The actual question, I definitely don't know the answer. I presume fred wouldn't either. (Talking about whether it costs more to have more boards).

This is a pretty big site, and one I run is very small, but on there there's no cost per board, just a blanket fee, and probably extra cost if the bandwidth is bigger. So I'm no help on this one. Sorry.
Thank you Mobben, an 'I don't know" is more honest than blurring the issue.

Originally posted by Docker_Brat
Ahhh the Minister for Propoganda speaks.. what's the answer to the question Herr Goebbels?

Haven't got the faintest idea.

Not too long ago Bluey said on another thread (sorry too doped up to find it at present............hmmmmm muscle relaxants.......having a very stress free day here!)..that there was a freeze on creating new boards for a while as the bandwidth usage costs were skyrocketing at that time.

Going by that I suppose it can be assumed the the number of boards, and extra replies they generate would end up costing more bandwidth money

He's created two new boards this week, so I'm assuming this is no longer a problem anymore?

Not that I mind, but I was kinda hoping for a golf/tennis board awhile back.

Tiger Craig asked a question, the answer of which I was actually interested in knowing, yet you failed to provide an answer; instead you chose to take a snipe at something Frodo said and totally ignored the original question. You'd make a great politician Bluey, you have the masses fooled and worshipping you while fudging the issues. Congratulations.

Another YAWN-O-RAMA there DB. Keep taking those wild stabs in the dark.

To answer:

No it does not cost anything to add boards. Bandwidth is the only consideration in cost for the site. Bandwidth and software upgrades. (amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as...) New boards add bandwidth.

New boards also add slightly to moderation work. Not much, but slightly.

The two boards added are a) to help new users get involved in the site and b) a board that the IAFC will direct their users to. They are aimed at getting new members and making them feel welcome.

We've got a freeze on boards on the General Talk section unless we get, say, a dozen people demanding one. I don't like starting boards and then removing them if they don't work out as it disappoints the few users who visit them. Then the mods will discuss it and decide who gets to moderate it.

Originally posted by Appleyard
Another YAWN-O-RAMA there DB. Keep taking those wild stabs in the dark.

To answer:

No it does not cost anything to add boards. Bandwidth is the only consideration in cost for the site. Bandwidth and software upgrades. (amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as...) New boards add bandwidth.

New boards also add slightly to moderation work. Not much, but slightly.

The two boards added are a) to help new users get involved in the site and b) a board that the IAFC will direct their users to. They are aimed at getting new members and making them feel welcome.

We've got a freeze on boards on the General Talk section unless we get, say, a dozen people demanding one. I don't like starting boards and then removing them if they don't work out as it disappoints the few users who visit them. Then the mods will discuss it and decide who gets to moderate it.
Thank you for answering the question Oh Great Oracle. Thank you for adding the snipe and proving the hypocrisy Mr Dogdy Brother. :D

Thank you for answering the question Oh Great Oracle. Thank you for adding the snipe and proving the hypocrisy Mr Dogdy Brother. :D

At least you get an answer to your question, when I asked the hard question three times on bigsniper, they banned me, seems they aren't accountable like you wanted them to be, if BF acted the way this new site does, you really would have a problem.

Originally posted by mantis
At least you get an answer to your question, when I asked the hard question three times on bigsniper, they banned me, seems they aren't accountable like you wanted them to be, if BF acted the way this new site does, you really would have a problem.

As far as I know your banning was fair enough, you came onto the site and said nothing but negative things about it. What is the point of you being on a site then?

All the mods were fed up with your "antics".

Fair enough if you ask me.

Originally posted by Mobbenfuhrer
Further comments about the pros and cons of another messageboard might be suited better to that messageboard, or private discussion, but I can't see any positive purpose in thrashing it out here.

Totally agree with you Mobbs but when someone is talking crap it's gotta be said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back