Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh yeah they were fun days, personality players like you mentioned and 20000 per game no dramas.
But Rugby League is a working class game and Michael Searle with his Titans Centre of Excellence ripped off a lot of tradies and word got right around the Coast about that so all that goodwill was lost amongst the Codes and the teams bread and butter.
Subsequently The Titans are now also very much in the Suns slow burn category now too.

But but but, for both teams there are a stack of hipsters, uni nerds, hot young chicky babes and surfy dudes who will jump on the bandwagon epically if either or both have a good season and look like being contenders.

Just gotta get it done on the field and the attendances for either or both will hit 25000 in a flash.

That night against Collingwood a few years ago when Ablett did his shoulder was a moment in time when The Suns were about to be absolutely huge.
I remember reading about the damage Michael Searle inflicted on the Titans back then and he certainly wasn't kind to the Suns when they entered the AFL. I guess it just goes to show, no matter how bright your future looks, any team can burn bridges with the public and they'll turn their back on you. You say the Titans and Suns are in a similar boat and I think you're more spot on than you may realise. The AFL sent Mark Evans to the Suns to clean things up and you could argue a similar situation played out when Graham Annesley took over the Titans. I'm happy to be proven wrong on that one though because you clearly know more about the Titans than me.

I remember reading about the damage Michael Searle inflicted on the Titans back then and he certainly wasn't kind to the Suns when they entered the AFL. I guess it just goes to show, no matter how bright your future looks, any team can burn bridges with the public and they'll turn their back on you. You say the Titans and Suns are in a similar boat and I think you're more spot on than you may realise. The AFL sent Mark Evans to the Suns to clean things up and you could argue a similar situation played out when Graham Annesley took over the Titans. I'm happy to be proven wrong on that one though because you clearly know more about the Titans than me.

100% spot on
He was Head Hunted from being NSW Minister for Sport and brought up here.

Doing a good job too. So is the Chairlady Rebecca Frizelle.
Pity about the jokers who wear the jersey though not matching their performance.

100% spot on
He was Head Hunted from being NSW Minister for Sport and brought up here.

Doing a good job too. So is the Chairlady Rebecca Frizelle.
Pity about the jokers who wear the jersey though not matching their performance.
To further the similarities, both teams are owned by their respective leagues but aspire for independence. It was mentioned in this thread a few days ago that the Titans will be put up for sale soon and that's a very different way of approaching independence to the way it's done in the AFL. Private ownership is a model the AFL has crashed and burned with before so I think they'll do their best to avoid that and opt for a community ownership model instead. So that would mean the Suns members literally own the club and vote on who represents them in the board of directors.

Corporate support seems to be an area the two Gold Coast teams are struggling with as well and that's not surprising given the GC is a small, regional market. The Suns never replaced Fiat as their major sponsor and I think read something about the Titans also losing their major sponsor for next year. This is why the AFL made the GC17 bid team prove they could acquire 111 business partners BEFORE they gave them an AFL licence. I think increasing both corporate and political presence on the board would help the Suns a fair bit. You only have to look at what David Koch was able to do for Port Adelaide a few years back to see how much of a difference it can make to have someone of his stature involved.

To further the similarities, both teams are owned by their respective leagues but aspire for independence. It was mentioned in this thread a few days ago that the Titans will be put up for sale soon and that's a very different way of approaching independence to the way it's done in the AFL. Private ownership is a model the AFL has crashed and burned with before so I think they'll do their best to avoid that and opt for a community ownership model instead. So that would mean the Suns members literally own the club and vote on who represents them in the board of directors.

Corporate support seems to be an area the two Gold Coast teams are struggling with as well and that's not surprising given the GC is a small, regional market. The Suns never replaced Fiat as their major sponsor and I think read something about the Titans also losing their major sponsor for next year. This is why the AFL made the GC17 bid team prove they could acquire 111 business partners BEFORE they gave them an AFL licence. I think increasing both corporate and political presence on the board would help the Suns a fair bit. You only have to look at what David Koch was able to do for Port Adelaide a few years back to see how much of a difference it can make to have someone of his stature involved.

Love your work Matchu.
Don't love the Port Adelaide symbol though beside your name.
Make the switch brother.

The Suns end the 2017 season with an average crowd of 14,017 from 10 home games at Metricon this year. The Titans have one home game left next week against the Bulldogs and have a crowd average of 13,943 so far in 2017.

The two teams have had very similar crowds this year.

The Suns end the 2017 season with an average crowd of 14,017 from 10 home games at Metricon this year. The Titans have one home game left next week against the Bulldogs and have a crowd average of 13,943 so far in 2017.

The two teams have had very similar crowds this year.

Love your work Matchu
Two things:
1-if GWS performed like us they'd be lucky to average 8000 and look at how we are going, right on par with the AFL pet team when at Spotless Stadium.

2-The Titans average is just fine compared to Sydney teams and even the Storm and NZ. On Thursday Parramatta who are a big club had 6000 in attendance. If GC Titans ever had 6000 there'd be hell to pay, all the old chestnuts about sporting graveyard, transient population would be trumpeted all over the media and social mafia.

So frustrating that the average punter in society is an above average moron.

Love your work Matchu
Two things:
1-if GWS performed like us they'd be lucky to average 8000 and look at how we are going, right on par with the AFL pet team when at Spotless Stadium.

2-The Titans average is just fine compared to Sydney teams and even the Storm and NZ. On Thursday Parramatta who are a big club had 6000 in attendance. If GC Titans ever had 6000 there'd be hell to pay, all the old chestnuts about sporting graveyard, transient population would be trumpeted all over the media and social mafia.

For GWS, a lot of it comes down to market share. I'm sure you're aware of the fact that Aussie rules doesn't have a large following in west Sydney but it does have a decent sized following in Canberra, which is probably comparable to the Gold Coast's market share. The last two games the Giants have played at Manuka have been sell outs but they're struggling to fill Spotless. I've often said the split between Aussie rules and rugby league is around 60/40 on the Gold Coast, with league having the higher amount of followers. That's a decent market share in the sixth largest market of Australia and it's really only the beginning with the inevitable generational change coming in the next 10 years. If you were to compare the numbers, the Suns really aren't performing that badly in their market. An average crowd of 14,000 equates to 0.02% of the market population. The only team that's actually outperforming them in that regard is Geelong.

I really don't understand how the Sydney media has the gall to rag on Titans' crowds when you have a club like South Sydney with a massive fanbase averaging just 11.3k at home games this season. That would be like Collingwood averaging 12k to home games and Eddie McGuire coming out to say the Suns should be getting more than 14k to their home games. It just doesn't make sense.

It should be pointed out that the Suns have gone from an average crowd of 11,560 in 2016 to 14,017 in 2017. That's a big improvement.

I think a lot of that is on the back of playing the big Melb teams this year , dont think we did that last year.
It's definitely a factor but you could also argue they weren't able to take full advantage of those games because of the rain during the Collingwood game and only 11k showing up to the Carlton game. Hawthorn drew 14k and Geelong drew 13k - these aren't really impressive numbers. You'd really only argue the Richmond and Essendon games drew well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neil Henry gone as coach now..
Not a good look for football on the coast

The Comparisons are amazing
Relatively Good Crowds yet both get attacked unmercifully
Both just above the Spoon on the ladder
Both seem to have rehab issues post injury
Both have sacked weak sop nice guy coaches
Both have star players that play the Jesus card but have at best questionable integrity (I'm really holding back in describing them that way)

2017 has been a horrific year for GC Sports Fans

The Comparisons are amazing
Relatively Good Crowds yet both get attacked unmercifully
Both just above the Spoon on the ladder
Both seem to have rehab issues post injury
Both have sacked weak sop nice guy coaches
Both have star players that play the Jesus card but have at best questionable integrity (I'm really holding back in describing them that way)

2017 has been a horrific year for GC Sports Fans
Heard on the news that Kevin Walters is a chance to coach the Titans next year and that Bellamy is being spoken about as well. I think the Titans landing a big name coach would actually be a good thing for the Suns because the AFL would be more inclined to offer someone like Clarkson an offer he can't refuse to ensure they don't fall behind the Titans.

Heard on the news that Kevin Walters is a chance to coach the Titans next year and that Bellamy is being spoken about as well. I think the Titans landing a big name coach would actually be a good thing for the Suns because the AFL would be more inclined to offer someone like Clarkson an offer he can't refuse to ensure they don't fall behind the Titans.

Matchu you have done it again. Didn't think of it that way.

When will people realise that profile doesn't mean jack s**t on the Gold Coast.
People don't care about Ablett Hayne Kar
michael Hunt etc. That hysteria dies off after 2 weeks.
They want teams that have a crack and win on some sort of consistent basis.
Emphasis on TEAM.
If they throw ridiculous amounts of money at Clarkson for the 'Profile' it will be as big a flop as making Gary $$$Ablett our start up Captain.

Not sure where to put this but if anyone is near Salk oval tommorow afternoon , come down as we have a few Suns coming down teaching our young fellas a thing or two.

Love your work Matchu
Two things:

Only thing l disageee on is the average punter is a BELOW average moron not ABOVE.

When will people realise that profile doesn't mean jack s**t on the Gold Coast.
People don't care about Ablett Hayne Kar
michael Hunt etc. That hysteria dies off after 2 weeks.
They want teams that have a crack and win on some sort of consistent basis.
Emphasis on TEAM.
If they throw ridiculous amounts of money at Clarkson for the 'Profile' it will be as big a flop as making Gary $$$Ablett our start up Captain.
I understand your point of view but the head coaching position is very individualistic by nature so it's difficult to appoint an exceptional coach without said coach having a high profile. Kevin Sheedy was signed to GWS to spruik the club but he also put processes in place for Cameron and the rest of the team to succeed. Just like Paul Roos did with Melbourne a few years back.

I don't think the Suns would hire Clarkson for his profile. I think they would hire Clarkson because he's a bloody good coach that demands effort and is unrelenting in the pursuit of excellence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back