Injury SJOGHCIU 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

well I guess if treatment is not working then they have to revisit all the fundamentals as hawks did for Rioli. Remember how Cyril used to pull a hammy once every 4 weeks?? then he went for like 2 years with no injury and then in an interview he talked about how much Hawks medico's worked hard to change his running pattern and adjusted rearfoot strike versus forefoot strike or middle foot strike. This is why Medico's get paid big $$$. get it right please Eagles cuz I am starting to look at patterns of injuries every season now since 2017. we probably destroyed Judd's career as well by not managing his OP correctly.

And its for cases exactly like this why I really, really rate the Hawks medical team. Once this was addressed, Cyril was on park a lot more. That's a great comparison 👍

You would think so yes, but we don't. In fact, we never have.

Sports medicine/ rehabilitation is my area of work. I have people i graduated with, surgeons I am friends with, strength and conditioning folk I liase with and nobody i have encountered rates our medical team, including me. That's a fact.

Not all medical teams are created equal. Atm, within the sports medicine field, Brisbane and Richmond are leading the pack. Historically, Sydney, Collingwood and Hawthorn are also in the frame.

Us, we have never been anywhere near the top. And again, I sound like a broken record but this is our problem:
We struggle badly to get our players right once they are injured. We do not get injured more then other teams.

Shuey has twice, IMO, been mismanaged: going back on the field against the dogs last season was disgraceful, and a man coming back from a long lay-off with a history of recurrent hamstring injury when the game was done and dusted should have been subbed out at 3 quarter time against port. Period.

As for Yeo, he should have been having adductor release surgery the moment he was ruled out of last season. That he didn't still irritates me because we are looking at him on the sidelines for potentially in excess of a calender year.

As you said, we are the most profitable sporting team in Australia. We should be leading the pack. We aren't. I suspect this is because we are staffing our medical team with guys that are well connected to the club, rather then the best the club can buy. I have long said, the entire medical team should be cleaned out and restaffed. And a good idea, for me, would be head hunting the best and brightest talent from the east coast if need be. We have the cash and the resources, so why this area has yet to be reviewed beggars some questions

A few seasons from now, I would love to be gloating about how our medical team are cutting edge and leading the AFL. Truly.

But to do that, we cannot maintain the status quo and keep hoping for a superior effort
Physio especially has moved along with new methods treating the weakness that cause things to fail rather than just the failure point.

And its for cases exactly like this why I really, really rate the Hawks medical team. Once this was addressed, Cyril was on park a lot more. That's a great comparison

It took them 5 years to get to that point.

His last hamstring strain was 2014 I think.

head hunting the best and brightest talent from the east coast if need be.

I think this may be the most pertinent point. If we are restricting recruitment to just WA, we are working with only 1/10th of the pool of potential talent (population wise) and probably even less when you consider the number of tertiary institutions offering high level medicine/health care degrees.

and a man coming back from a long lay-off with a history of recurrent hamstring injury when the game was done and dusted should have been subbed out at 3 quarter time against port. Period.

That’s not how the medical sub rule works.

There’s a football department cap which includes fitness and conditioning staff. Just because we have more money than other clubs doesn’t mean we get to use it as a result and attracting people to relocate from over east is easier said than done

That’s not how the medical sub rule works.
Surely would have been able to pass it off as hamstring tightness though and wouldn’t really be argued with given he’s just come back from pinging one and multiple soft tissues over the break. Should have been benched regardless even if we played the last quarter with a 3 man bench.

Surely would have been able to pass it off as hamstring tightness though and wouldn’t really be argued with given he’s just come back from pinging one and multiple soft tissues over the break. Should have been benched regardless even if we played the last quarter with a 3 man bench.

“Hamstring tightness” isn’t usually a 12-day injury, which is the criteria for being allowed to sub someone off. If the AFL is looking and waiting for someone to bend the rules in order to make an example of them, does anyone want to bet they wouldn’t jump at the opportunity to come down on us like a ton of bricks?

In hindsight, Shuey should have been benched at three-quarter time. Or arguably not played at all. But he only played 58 per cent of game time, and according to Oscar he did the hammy as he was coming to the bench.

I wonder if that kick he did from the centre square to Liam Ryan had anything to do with the tweak?

Shuey already jogging laps. Surely take a week off mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Yeo already in full training he could probably be back in 2 weeks. Maybe target the Freo game?
Eugh. Please no. We should take every precaution with Yeo - OP is a dicey injury and can flare up fairly quick. Would be quite happy to bring him back for the last game before the bye at the earliest (for match fitness).

Im concerned that Shuey's running already. I know he wants to lead by example and get back to it, but he needs to ease up for the sake of his body. Wouldnt want to see him play until the Essendon game personally.

I’d be inclined to give Yeo a good couple of months and aim for round 10, if he’s getting towards main training now with no pain.

Give him a full mini preseason, then a couple of weeks before the bye and back into it for the second half of the year.

I’m hopeful that’s achievable.

If Shuey is a standard 3 weeker, then an extra week should be given and back after the derby. If we can manage to keep the performances like the last couple of weeks we should be in a good spot come mid year to really push top 4.

Solution: Hurn retires at the end of the year. Shuey then becomes the first recipient ever of a hamstring transplant. He'd be unstoppable.

Shuey the first ever T-Rex to win Brownlow.

There is almost no chance Yeo is back before the bye

Tentatively, good to hear he is making progress though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back