So How Dangerous is COVID Really?

Remove this Banner Ad

Where do you draw that conclusion from?

I'm saying the impact (from the available evidence) clearly shows it is significantly greater for those over 60, in particular 70+. I can't see how this can be disputed. Therefore, it seems important that those people get vaccinated. I'm getting to that category so I'll get vaccinated.

Given the lack of proper conversation on this topic as anyone who questions from a different angle is censored and labeled a conspiracy theorist; there are some answers to legitimate questions I'd like to hear that are not forthcoming. Not because I am dismissive of the virus or its effects, but because I want to know more. It seems to be a trait these days of the "lefties" that anyone who has an opposing view is shouted down and labeled a racist, or a misogynist, or a homophobe, or a conspiracy theorist etc. etc.

I recall the Queensland Chief Health Officer recently saying that she was concerned about vaccinating a completely healthy 18yo who is more likely to die of the effects of the vaccine than the virus. She was banished before this issue could be properly discussed. I ask why?

Mainly because what she was saying was completely wrong and stupid, thus contributing to the problem. In no way is AZ more deadly than COVID to a healthy 18 year old.

I'm saying the impact (from the available evidence) clearly shows it is significantly greater for those over 60, in particular 70+. I can't see how this can be disputed. Therefore, it seems important that those people get vaccinated. I'm getting to that category so I'll get vaccinated.

Given the lack of proper conversation on this topic as anyone who questions from a different angle is censored and labeled a conspiracy theorist; there are some answers to legitimate questions I'd like to hear that are not forthcoming. Not because I am dismissive of the virus or its effects, but because I want to know more. It seems to be a trait these days of the "lefties" that anyone who has an opposing view is shouted down and labeled a racist, or a misogynist, or a homophobe, or a conspiracy theorist etc. etc.

I recall the Queensland Chief Health Officer recently saying that she was concerned about vaccinating a completely healthy 18yo who is more likely to die of the effects of the vaccine than the virus. She was banished before this issue could be properly discussed. I ask why?

You recall?

Can you post a link to who said that?

If a health officer did say that.......they have NFI.

My wife is a pharmacist heading the logistics for vaccine roll out here in the NT. Our kids are 17 and 19. Both vaccinated.

Why?

Because the health risk of getting covid far out weigh the risks in getting the vaccine.

Mainly because what she was saying was completely wrong and stupid, thus contributing to the problem. In no way is AZ more deadly than COVID to a healthy 18 year old.
So you're an expert and are qualified to make that judgement. Go and familiarise yourself with the Case Fatality Risk by age in one of my previous posts before you dismiss the opinion of a professional carte blanche. Some people are just sheep. I rest my case.

the argument that we should just let the virus rip because young healthy people will be fine is tiresome and insulting, and just displays a classic boomer way of thinking. i dgaf about the ages of people who died, they were still people. we should not be making public health policy base on 'yeah but these people will be fine so lets not do anything'.

that, and anyone still claiming the vaccines are ineffective or pointless isnt worth listening to because theyre ignoring the scientific evidence that yes it is highly effective even if its not a 100% bullet proof cure.

So you're an expert and are qualified to make that judgement. Go and familiarise yourself with the Case Fatality Risk by age in one of my previous posts before you dismiss the opinion of a professional carte blanche. Some people are just sheep. I rest my case.

Are you saying that it is better for an 18 year old to catch COVID than have the vaccine. I want to be clear that this is your position.

You recall?

My wife is a pharmacist heading the logistics for vaccine roll out here in the NT. Our kids are 17 and 19. Both vaccinated.

Why?

Because the health risk of getting covid far out weigh the risks in getting the vaccine.
I don't have a link but it was definitely said. I'm not suggesting that what she said was right or wrong, but lets have proper conversation.

There are plenty who think different to your wife and won't have their teenage children vaccinated. It is their choice. Perhaps if there was a proper conversation about the pros and cons of vaccinating the young, then many more might think like your wife.

You recall?

Why?

Are you saying that it is better for an 18 year old to catch COVID than have the vaccine. I want to be clear that this is your position.
I don't have a clear opinion because I am not privy to all the facts. From the available evidence I have seen, the chances of a healthy 18yo dying of the virus is very, very, very minimal.

Therefore, I ask the question why vaccinate healthy teenagers? If it is that by vaccinating teenagers they won't get the virus, or they won't pass on the virus, then fine vaccinate them.

All I am asking for is a proper and reasoned conversation. And when people like the former Qld CHO express a particular view and then she is banished I become very suspicious unless it is clearly spelt out that what she is saying is absolutely false.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tbf, she is literally saying "this is atagi's and the tga's advice". you cant criticise her for simply relaying the advice of the federal governments medical boards.

the politically motivated atagi are to blame. they gave in to the sooking boomer antivaxxers and changed the advice on AZ for purely political purposes. they should have stuck to the line of 'you are more likely to get covid and die from it, than you are to die from the vaccine'. what is it, 2 deaths in australia from millions of doses of az vaccine, compared to over 1000 deaths from 60,000 or so cases for covid.

even toeing the stupid 'young people arent at risk from covid' line, the death rate for young people from covid is far higher than from the vaccine.

I don't have a clear opinion because I am not privy to all the facts. From the available evidence I have seen, the chances of a healthy 18yo dying of the virus is very, very, very minimal.

Therefore, I ask the question why vaccinate healthy teenagers? If it is that by vaccinating teenagers they won't get the virus, or they won't pass on the virus, then fine vaccinate them.

All I am asking for is a proper and reasoned conversation. And when people like the former Qld CHO express a particular view and then she is banished I become very suspicious unless it is clearly spelt out that what she is saying is absolutely false.

The chances of drying are very, very, very minimal. I agree for a healthy 18 year old. However getting pretty sick or getting long covid is not as minimal. This is reduced by the vaccine and there is also a reduction in the transmission phase of the virus as I understand it so the chances of them passing it on is less.

The dangers of dying from the vaccine however are lower than those of the virus.

More than happy to have a proper and reasoned conversation. But in my opinion the QLD CHO went rogue with that comment and was widely condemned for it. It's not even inline with the QLD published health guidance.

the facts are that the medical scientific community says it is. what medical background do you have to justify contradicting that?

but if you want some numbers:
9.6 million doses of AZ, 8 deaths. less than 1 for every million doses. statistically, you're more than twice as likely to get struck by lightning.

meanwhile, 10 people under 40 have died from covid, from about 41,100 cases. about 1 in 4110.

the numbers are clear. the scientists are clear. the only reason not to believe it, is because you don't want to.

the facts are that the medical scientific community says it is. what medical background do you have to justify contradicting that?

but if you want some numbers:
9.6 million doses of AZ, 8 deaths. less than 1 for every million doses. statistically, you're more than twice as likely to get struck by lightning.

meanwhile, 10 people under 40 have died from covid, from about 41,100 cases. about 1 in 4110.

the numbers are clear. the scientists are clear. the only reason not to believe it, is because you don't want to.
I think you and I should just stick to following our football team, because that's where our similarities start and end. Cheers.

I think you and I should just stick to following our football team, because that's where our similarities start and end. Cheers.
Then don't pretend you're here for reasoned conversation. you're here to peddle your anti vax standpoint while ignoring all evidence to the contrary. you ask for 'evidence' yet when presented with black and white statistical evidence of the risks of the vaccine vs actual covid, your response is essentially 'well we believe different things'.

you may not be as aggressive or hateful as some of the other antivaxxers on here, but your stubborn ignorance of the evidence and the belief you know better than the experts in the matter is the same.

Because they can spread it to older people who are more susceptible to it.

Would you like me to draw that in crayon for you so you might understand?

Then don't pretend you're here for reasoned conversation. you're here to peddle your anti vax standpoint while ignoring all evidence to the contrary. you ask for 'evidence' yet when presented with black and white statistical evidence of the risks of the vaccine vs actual covid, your response is essentially 'well we believe different things'.

you may not be as aggressive or hateful as some of the other antivaxxers on here, but your stubborn ignorance of the evidence and the belief you know better than the experts in the matter is the same.
Your mummy's calling, it's bedtime for you. Nighty, night.

tbf, she is literally saying "this is atagi's and the tga's advice". you cant criticise her for simply relaying the advice of the federal governments medical boards.

the politically motivated atagi are to blame. they gave in to the sooking boomer antivaxxers and changed the advice on AZ for purely political purposes. they should have stuck to the line of 'you are more likely to get covid and die from it, than you are to die from the vaccine'. what is it, 2 deaths in australia from millions of doses of az vaccine, compared to over 1000 deaths from 60,000 or so cases for covid.

even toeing the stupid 'young people arent at risk from covid' line, the death rate for young people from covid is far higher than from the vaccine.

All garbage. She peddled anti science fearmongering and was righlt called out for it.

When ATAGI changed their advice for 40 to 60 year olds based on the known risks she started talking about teenagers dying from vaccines. It was disgraceful.

The advice on 18+ only changed once the known risks had changed again. I have no idea what you are on about with ATAGI and boomer anti vaxxers.

The only person presenting as a man-child here is you to be honest.
Why? Have you read and comprehended my previous posts? When did I say I'm an anti-vaxxer? When did I say I'm not getting vaccinated? Or are you like others on here that pick and choose comments and take them out of context? Typical behaviour from certain elements of society.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back